Common searches

Floppy Disk not recognise

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww that makes sense now! Glad you got it sorted...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 25, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mau1wurf1977, hope you did not buy any really new (2000+) FDDs? They're so cheap for a reason: lack of the mechanics that allowed smooth head movement. Thus they quickly destroy any diskette.

To avoid that you need an old drive, like 1990+/-. Chinon FZ-357 is notorious for its quality, but Teac, Epson and Mitsubishi have good reputation either. I got myself an EPSON SD-800 combo for $20 at a local junk-shop.

Reply 22 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes the drives and disks are brand new. I'm unable to identify the brand, but what you say makes sense 🙁 Hoping my floppy emulator arrives soon and I can check it out.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to agree. I bought some brand new Panasonic and Sony drives recently. All the new ones failed within weeks. The only working floppy drives I have are ripped from old computers.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 24 of 25, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for understanding:

Why do you use a controller card?

Is it an ISA card or a PCI one? I wouldn't use ISA controllers in a PCI based motherboard. The onboard controller should be faster.

I'm happy for you that it works now 😀

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 25 of 25, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FGB wrote:
Just for understanding: […]
Show full quote

Just for understanding:

Why do you use a controller card?

Is it an ISA card or a PCI one? I wouldn't use ISA controllers in a PCI based motherboard. The onboard controller should be faster.

I'm happy for you that it works now 😀

Ok, you guys are going to kill me! I didn't know I had a floppy header where I could plug the floppy drive in! 😊
I just realised!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so embarrassed!!!
Got the board and directly pluged the controller card as I need it in order to get the serial Mouse going. Didn't see the floppy drive header!