VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a freebie from work today however it is not in great shape, whoever had before it got to the shop removed the original fan, removed the cooler only to reapply it with generic compound, and to top it off two smd caps/resistors next to the fan connector (below the first memory chip) are blown 😢

So does anyone who knows this pcb well enough to know the ratings for what needs to be replaced? Also component C93 is missing by the gpu.

voodoo4.jpg

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and to top it off two smd caps/resistors next to the fan connector (below the first memory chip) are blown

Those are actually diodes. I can't find a clear enough picture to see the part numbers on 'em though, so I can't say exactly what kind of diodes they are.

Reply 2 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

and to top it off two smd caps/resistors next to the fan connector (below the first memory chip) are blown

Those are actually diodes. I can't find a clear enough picture to see the part numbers on 'em though, so I can't say exactly what kind of diodes they are.

OK thanks, I wonder why both have failed but can't test the card till I get my agp rig built 😒

LT02 53AB that is all that I can see.

Reply 4 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may not be an ordinary diode, it could be a TVS that is designed to protect from overvoltage. Hard to see as I only have googled pictures from front of V4 4500 AGP card. If they are for overvoltage protection and blown then they have clearly done their job, protected from overvoltage as much as they can and the whole card may be blown.

The C93 is present on another picture of that card it is really missing. Can you see if it has ever been there or has it blown out or fallen because of mechanical impact? But in any event it is most likely just a bypass capacitor so it can be easily replaced by taking some similar looking capacitor from another video board.

Reply 5 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying to be optimistic that they are only for the fan or something else that isn't critical but if bricked at lest the pcb can be used as a donor many years from now.

Reply 6 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If they are TVS diodes, and that's certainly what the 'LT' marking seems to point to, then the card should work without them. Of course you'll want to remove them, since there's a good chance they're shorted (and TVS diodes are usually connected directly between a voltage rail and ground), and it wouldn't be wise to run it long-term without them since you'd basically be running without any sort of overvoltage protection, but you'd at least be able to see if the card works at all before investing the effort in tracking down replacement parts.

Same deal with the missing capacitor... it probably is just a bypass cap, and a single missing one shouldn't affect the card's function too terribly much since most card designs tend to go a bit overkill on the filtering anyway. At worst it may be a little unstable under certain conditions.

Reply 7 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok thanks, sometime when I get payed I will go by a local electronic parts store and see if they have any diodes like this in stock.

Reply 8 of 8, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Ok thanks, sometime when I get payed I will go by a local electronic parts store and see if they have any diodes like this in stock.

If you want you can also ask on Falconfly.de, there are some great guys there who are very specialized on 3Dfx hardware, and are willing to help too, such as Loeszchwerg and Komponent. Those might give you in depth help too. 😉

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png