VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found a Model M a while back, restored it, and it's ruined me for rubber dome keyboards forever more.

I did a bit of research and bought a mechanical DASKeyboard for a decent sum, but it's just not right. The first 2 (!) I was sent were busted, which wasn't a good start. The keys on 3rd one, which I've been using for about 3 months, are starting to fade which is just pathetic. They're supposed to be 'lazer etched', but that's gotta be a load of tosh. None of the 15 buck rubber dome rubbish I've used previously - for years at a time - have never lost the letters off the keys.

Does anyone else use a modern mechanical keyboard that they like? There are buckle spring ones that attempt to re-create the Model M, called Unicomp I think. Maybe they're the way to go.

Reply 2 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unicomp inherited IBM's buckling spring patent via Lexmark, so for the closest modern experience to the Model M you should probably try them - though I did read some reports saying that their build quality isn't quite as perfect, so YMMV.
Filco Majestouch keyboards are very well-regarded, but pricey - they use Cherry MX switches, as do DAS Keyboards, though the specific MX variant is important. "Blue" seems to be somewhat close to the Model M feel; "brown" is similar but quieter (less clicky), and both are tactile.

I recently got a CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Browns. The overly modern design and "gamer" stuff can be a bit of a turn-off, but it wasn't expensive and feels great to type on - pretty sturdy too, and the programmability is a nice bonus. I'd definitely recommend it, but if you have the cash to spare just go for a Filco.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 5, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

I recently got a CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Browns. The overly modern design and "gamer" stuff can be a bit of a turn-off, but it wasn't expensive and feels great to type on - pretty sturdy too, and the programmability is a nice bonus. I'd definitely recommend it, but if you have the cash to spare just go for a Filco.

I got the storm quickfire pro with black switches after considering a host of keyboards from Corsair, Razer, Steel Series, etc. Once you get past the "gamer" look, IMHO for the price it's got great build quality (very hefty) and features.

Reply 4 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is nice to dream but I always end up settling for the cheap stuff like a Dell AT101w ect. There are some nice keyboards but that "gamer" look can be annoying and there is always extra "features" that go unused.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 5, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the input (pardon the pun). After some reading and much procrastination I've gone with the Quick Fire Pro with Cherry MX Brown switches. The DAS keyboard - which has been relegated to music server duties - has blue switches I think; clicky but too light to compare to the Model M. The black switches were a bit too heavy under my fingers but the brown - although not clicky - feel nice. Responsive but have some resistance to them.

If the WASD letters don't fade after a few months then it'll be a winner.