VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lololipop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I originally got DOSbox to play Daggerfall and now that I have played the crap out of that game I'm looking for another good RPG I can play on DOSbox (not Arena.)

Genesis does what Nintendon't!

Reply 1 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not first person but have you tried Ultima 7? Great game that.

If you want first person then Strife is fun - more of an action game but does have RPG elements.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe betrayal at krondor...in some ways at least. I don't think you're going to find anything else from that era quite like Daggerfall. That game is pretty unique.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe Terminator: Future Shock used the same game engine but its obviously a shooter, not an RPG.

What specifically did you like about Daggerfall? It's hard to think of any open-world games of the same scope from that era.
If you liked the dungeon crawling aspect You could try Ultima Underworld (or maybe System Shock if you like sci-fi). Both great games but the scope and environments are much smaller than Daggerfall.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Daggerfall came with a big bang to the gaming world. It's very open ended, and in spite some arguing it's just the same structures and missions with random repetitions, it's still one of it's kind. It does have a main quest with 'limited scope tied to this quest' like many other RPGs, but it's so open-ended that you can do anything in it.

The only games that are something like it are it's predecessor and successors - Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

There are other 'deep' RPGs, but are a bit different than the Elder Scrolls series. Realms of Arkania, for example. Ultima VII is also noteworthy for it's open world design.

Might and Magic series should also provide lots of exploration but does have limited things to do. Betrayal at Krondor should feel somewhat like the exploration in Daggerfall.

Most are party-based RPGs and the experience will be different than the Elder Scrolls series.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Also, Amulets & Armor, especially now that it's free.

I second this. The A&A demo alone was awesome enough, but now that the full version is free as "Amulets & Armor Classic", I can only imagine how much more stuff there is to do in it! (Been busy moving so I haven't had a chance to play it yet.)

But yeah, as has been mentioned already, there's not a lot of old games that take the first-person/open-world approach while giving you melee weapons as your primary means of attack. Actually, there's not a lot of modern games that do this either. Legend of Grimrock is a modern game with the first-person, active-battle RPG approach, but it's not an open-world game.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lololipop wrote:

I originally got DOSbox to play Daggerfall and now that I have played the crap out of that game I'm looking for another good RPG I can play on DOSbox (not Arena.)

If you're looking for first-person RPG, Ultima Underworld series is a pretty good RPG, although it's not really open ended. Both Underworlds are available as a single package on GOG at nice price, and it comes with PDF manuals.

I didn't play Stonekeep, but it is awarded as reader's choice winner in Computer Gaming World's Game of the Year award. And I trust CGW reviews more than any reviews in the internet today. Too bad the magazine is dead. 😵

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh! I just remembered this... umm... "classic" Interplay title called "Descent to Undermountain" which used the Descent engine and featured full 3D graphics and everything! *insert troll-face here*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 10, by Lololipop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I liked Daggerfall for all dungeons since there like mazes and theres monster and creatures attacking you.

Genesis does what Nintendon't!

Reply 10 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another good game is 'Strife'... It's a first person game with RPG elements and was very underrated imo. Not quite Daggerfall (or even a true RPG), but it's still a good game 😉.