VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello people, I know this has been covered already but I want to be 100% sure before I buy.

I'm lucky enough to get a Roland mt-32 (old model) in very good condition from a guy here where I live (Spain). The price 50 euros total, there is no shipping. Yes I know, probably I could of got it for a cheaper price...not in ebay for sure! I've seen cheap ones from seller in USA, but the shipping costs to Spain are higher than the Mt-32 itself.

I want to connect the Roland Mt-32 to a SB16 Ct2230, so this is the cable I need right?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Computer-Sound-Card-MP … a#ht_1996wt_956

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-05-01, 21:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got the Joystick to Midi cable. From the SB16 I plugged the Midi out cable into de Midi in socket of the Mt-32. Pardon my ignorance does the audio of the Mt-32 come through the SB16 or do I have to connect 2 audio jacks, left and right to the Mt-32 to take the sound out?

Also, I have a daughtercard installed on the SB16 (NEC XR385). When I choose Roland Mt-32, the Daughtercard activates. Do I have to take it off the SB16 so it doesn't interfere with the Mt-32?

Reply 4 of 22, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

I just got the Joystick to Midi cable. From the SB16 I plugged the Midi out cable into de Midi in socket of the Mt-32. Pardon my ignorance does the audio of the Mt-32 come through the SB16 or do I have to connect 2 audio jacks, left and right to the Mt-32 to take the sound out?

You have to connect two audio jacks (left and right if you have the old revision) and then either send it directly to a mixer or send it back to the "line in" on the soundcard.

Pingaloka wrote:

Also, I have a daughtercard installed on the SB16 (NEC XR385). When I choose Roland Mt-32, the Daughtercard activates. Do I have to take it off the SB16 so it doesn't interfere with the Mt-32?

You will have to choose if you want to use the external MPU-401 or the internal waveblaster connector. You can't do both (unless you have a EWS64XL) on almost any soundcard. An option is to install a dedicated MIDI card and connect the MT-32 to it, or connect the MT-32 to another soundcard in the computer which has MIDI set to port 300 for instance (with the daughtercard set to 330).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pingaloka wrote:

Covers cables, plugs and connectors:

http://youtu.be/5NUQpAZeAdo?t=1h26m25s

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

Covers cables, plugs and connectors:

http://youtu.be/5NUQpAZeAdo?t=1h26m25s

Thanx a lot guys. Yes I have seen it Mauwurf, very useful. It is quite long so that is why I asked directly in the forum.
As soon as I have the time I'll look at it again!

Reply 7 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, having some difficulties here, I know that there are lots of variables involved, so the problem may be difficult to diagnose:

No sound comes out when I plug the Mt-32 to the SB16.
The Mt-32 receives Midi and indeed it works because I have tried it out with the Yamaha YMF719 and it works "perfectly"

The cables are all well plugged. From the Mt-32 I have the audio left and audio right plugged into the Line In SB16 card.

The Sb16 is well configured with the MP-401 port set to 330. The NEC XR385 was previously working on it as a daughtercard. I took it out.

I have checked mixerset.exe and everything appears to be correct.

Any ideas?

Reply 8 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the mixer settings at the top right of your screen 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally getting the Roland Mt-32 to sound properly with the SB16....finally seeing the light!

One question, will this baby "Roland PC98 MPU",

famimi123img600x4501368.jpg

do the work as a MP-401 so I can connect the NEC X385 to the SB16 + the MT-32 to the Roland PC98 MPU so they don't interfere have both at the same time/computer?

Reply 10 of 22, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PC98 doesn't use ISA. It's a proprietary 16 bit slot. You won't be able to use that card in a PC.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

PC98 doesn't use ISA. It's a proprietary 16 bit slot. You won't be able to use that card in a PC.

Oh, true, I didn't look well at the picture + description!
What a nebbie!

Reply 12 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

You have to connect two audio jacks (left and right if you have the old revision) and then either send it directly to a mixer or send it back to the "line in" on the soundcard.

Pingaloka wrote:

or connect the MT-32 to another soundcard in the computer which has MIDI set to port 300 for instance (with the daughtercard set to 330).

But his would cause conflicts right?
I tried both the Yamaha YMF719 with the Mt-32 and the SB16 with the Daughtercard and got some issues. Even if you don't have the mt-32 and the daughter card connected can these two co-exist?

How can you choose were you want the sound coming of what sound card? Many games don't have a config utility to choose ports. eg. Elvira II, Monkey Island, KGB...

From what I'm reading getting a Roland mpu401 can save you a lot of problems...but bloody expensive they are....!

Reply 13 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You definitely want the MT-32 connected to a MPU401 interface that is sitting at address 330.

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

You definitely want the MT-32 connected to a MPU401 interface that is sitting at address 330.

Appart from the Roland Mpu-401. What other options do I have Mau1wurf1977? In your video you mention:

Music Quest compatible devices?

Reply 15 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea Music Quest, MidiMan (all games apart from Legend games), Ensoniq cards (I believe also most games apart from Legend games), Roland MPU401 cards and the SCC-1. There might be others but that's the core to be honest.

There is a MPU401AT up for grabs in Spain. I'd go hard. Or the next SCC-1.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

There is a MPU401AT up for grabs in Spain. I'd go hard. Or the next SCC-1.

Where did you see this at Mauwurf1977?
Haven't found it on ebay

Reply 18 of 22, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's wrong with having both the XR385 and MT-32 attached to your SB16? I'm only using the YMFx card cause my SB16 has hanging note issues.

Of course it's nice to have a real MPU401 but personally I couldn't justify the cost (bid on the last SCC-1 too...)

As an alternative, the next version of SoftMPU will have full intelligent mode support. I'm hoping to get it released in the next month or so, barring any major technical hitches.

Reply 19 of 22, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:

What's wrong with having both the XR385 and MT-32 attached to your SB16? I'm only using the YMFx card cause my SB16 has hanging note issues.

Of course it's nice to have a real MPU401 but personally I couldn't justify the cost (bid on the last SCC-1 too...)

As an alternative, the next version of SoftMPU will have full intelligent mode support. I'm hoping to get it released in the next month or so, barring any major technical hitches.

I agree with you on this one bjt. The problem is, how do you activate and deactivate just the ports you want to be used?

Will that be a possibility on your next SoftMPU release?

BTW I use it quite a lot. What a great tool!
I wonder why it has not been discussed a lot more in the forums.