Common searches

What Dos Menu programmes exist?

Topic actions

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day(1993) we had a 386 machine with a dos menu included from the comuter shop, when the computer booted up it went to this menu which had two tables/rows and you had pages, all the menu entries could be edited and it was simply typing in dos commands to run each programme, on exiting a game it would go back to the menu, Im pretty sure it had a red background with yellow text but I assume you could change the colour scheme.
just wondering if anyone knows what programme this could be or something similar I want to simply things for my kids.

Reply 2 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Gekko Menu

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

just wondering if anyone knows what programme this could be or something similar I want to simply things for my kids.

All examples I've seen of trying to get the kids into Dad's old computer games were unsuccessful. Have you succeeded in this?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 22, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can knock some of this up in batch files -

Eg a simple batch file (say menu.bat) that clears the screen and displays the menu. Then individual batch files called 1.bat, 2.bat etc to run each game and with a final command to go back to where the menu files are and run the menu file.

You can do a more sophisticated main batch file too. And there used to be ways to change screen and text colours in dos.

For a fancier interface You can combine this with a basic program to add extra features , tables, pages, etc. Coulld probably use other languages but basic is simple, interpreted and comes with dos.

Reply 7 of 22, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

All examples I've seen of trying to get the kids into Dad's old computer games were unsuccessful. Have you succeeded in this?

Haha, when my kids were little it was hard to stop them. What they really don't get now is why I bother with old hardware when there is dosbox. They have absolutely no interest in playing anything on old gear, I think they thought I was nuts last time I showed them my 386 running 3.1.

Reply 8 of 22, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had used a shareware program by Garry Spencer that just had a games.exe and games.dat in the root of c: for a friend that wasn't very good using the command line in DOS. He just had to type games and got a list where he could choose what game to run.

games.dat was just a text file and could be easily edited. The # line was what was displayed and the following lines had the commands.
For example:
#Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
cd c:\warcraft
war
#Warcraft II
cd c:\wc2
war2
#Wasteland
cd c:\wastelan
wl

You could also use a caret and have everything on the same line
#Wasteland
cd c:\wastelan^wl

Attachments

• Filename
    GameMenu.zip
    File size
    27.31 KiB
    Downloads
    155 downloads
    File comment
    Shareware Game Menu
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 22, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe take a look at Access. There is a speedy text-mode version, and Access comes in multiple graphical versions as well if you'd want to use icons and the like.

Reply 11 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

have a looksie here: http://reimagery.com/fsfd/menu.htm
Medley is a very small and nice menu 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultimately the big problem with these is that they take up conventional memory that may be required for applications to run.

There are some that are better behaved than others in that regard. Norton Menu, in particular.

Reply 13 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Ultimately the big problem with these is that they take up conventional memory that may be required for applications to run.

True. Some may take up less memory, and some people may not perceive any problems, but generally, I prefer not to use them. Unless for occasional tinkering.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 22, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

There are some that are better behaved than others in that regard. Norton Menu, in particular.

Some menus use clever ways to load the programs (for example, Access uses batch-file handling), resulting in virtually no memory usage.

Reply 17 of 22, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This one is unused for you, but all PCs before windows 95 in my country used this one.

Attachments

• mdir3.png
    Filename
    mdir3.png
    File size
    63.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception