Common searches

Reply 20 of 30, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
bloodbat wrote:

The link for the soundfont in overclockers is no longer working 🙁. I have a ChoriumRevA soundfont, but I'm not sure it's the same you used.
The MD5 hash of the one I have is
3b3ccb921d9bf29992a174a3315ff723

Oh yes that reminds me: It was removed one day and I received an email about copyright or something like that 😒

Can I get the *hash* of yours?

Reply 21 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
keropi wrote:

^ gracias 😁

No problem. 😁

Anyway, I'm not really updated about modern sound card. What's so special about Auzentech X-Fi? I mean, does it capable to process sound font without burdening the CPU? And what is the maximum sound font size it can handle?

no ideas about soundfonts, but it does come with the full 64MB of X-RAM (useless 😜 ) and it has different amps/caps (with the option to install your own amps), you can read a review here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/auzentec … %7C_test,1.html

It also features a cool red led that lights when the card gets power 😁 😁 😁 😁

I wonder what the 64MB RAM is for. If not for sound font, they what is it for?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

supposedly games would upload there samples and use it without bothering the main cpu/ram, something like that... HalfLife2 works with it as far as I know.
Maybe in non-gaming mode that ram is the dsp's work ram? No idea...
I bought the auzentech model because it would give better audio output , didn't really look on the x-ram deal

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23 of 30, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About X-RAM:
http://xfi.blogspot.com/2006/01/x-ram.html
And at least on mine it is, indeed, used to hold Soundfont(s).

Attachments

• soundfont.jpg
    Filename
    soundfont.jpg
    File size
    32.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, I wonder if anyone would prefer fidelity, to the point that he/she would prefer FM sounds than GM soundfont?

To me, it's only when the FM sound is extraordinarily good. An example is Laser Squad sound track. Nonetheless, I generally prefer GM sound font.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 26 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Some of the earlier games had pretty lousy GM...

Dune II's GM music sounds pretty good with sound fonts. Tyrian, on the other hand, is pretty lousy. What I mean "lousy" is that the GM songs do not sound very different from the FM version.

Reply 28 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Try Overkill, OPL sounds far better in that game than any GM synth.

I haven't played the game, but I think Dune is also the case where OPL sounds better than any GM synth. Its OPL also sounds better than MT-32. In fact, the latter sounds a little weird.

Reply 29 of 30, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps a dumb question guys but, what sound cards are you using? is there a hardware based synth that supports that huge soundfonts ?
I have no idea.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 30 of 30, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my case, a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion; as for hardware synths, I'm not sure, though you can use it as a MIDI controller (if the synth has the connections) to drive software that can use SoundFonts, such as FL Studio and Reason.