O hai!

Topic actions

First post, by ixfd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*wipes shoes on door mat*

Hi everyone!

The name's Danny. I recently picked up an interest in old games again, and I managed to retrieve my game files from my ancient ASUS P6300 laptop. I hadn't touched this machine in well over five years; I'm quite surprised the hard drive still worked.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this place!

P.S. I love the Hitchhiker-themed forum names. 😁

Last edited by ixfd64 on 2013-05-07, 17:24. Edited 2 times in total.

http://facebook.com/ixfd64

Reply 2 of 9, by ixfd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm mostly playing first-person shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D right now. I really enjoyed them in my high school days, and they're still just as fun right now. 😁

http://facebook.com/ixfd64

Reply 5 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome, ixfd64!

badmofo wrote:

A 5 year-old hard drive is considered brand spanking new around here 😀

I'd say the machine is from 1998 or 1999 so definitely retro. There certainly is a good chance that the drive stops working, depending on how much the machine was used and how it was treated.
Probably not bad for later DOS games, the sound chip might be compatible for DOS games without additional tools.

Reply 6 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

Hi!

A 5 year-old hard drive is considered brand spanking new around here 😀

That's true, actually. I just pulled out a couple of 250GB SATA drives that were about that old out of my garage and put the working one back into service (the other was damaged early on due to my clumsiness combined with Seagate's stupid decision to put large surface mount inductors on the exposed circuitry near the rear of the drive's bottom).

Reply 9 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to the forums! 😁 I'm actually one of the youngest members here, being only 19, but PC hardware and retro PC games are two of my biggest interests.