VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

anyone knows of a place to download midi soundtracks ripped from games? like Monkey Islands etc but not converted or anything so if they play through a a lapc-i for example they will sound the same as in game.

Also what DOS midi player you people are using? I can't seem to find one with a file selector , wtf?!

TIA for any info!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quest Studios has both GM version and MT-32 version (which should be suitable for LAPC-I) of game MIDI files.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure whether Laura's MIDI Heaven has unaltered songs, but I know Battledrome soundtrack sounds pretty weird (too fast) when played using WinAmp, so the files are probably unaltered. After all, they sound "raw" to me.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try Game Music base http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/

Last edited by vetz on 2013-05-09, 22:07. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice will check those links my friends 😀

now I need to get a nice Roland mt32/la aware player , gsplay and playmid don't have correct results on LA synths, they are made for newer ones from what I understood

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

nice will check those links my friends 😀

now I need to get a nice Roland mt32/la aware player , gsplay and playmid don't have correct results on LA synths, they are made for newer ones from what I understood

You just need to make sure that the SySex information is included in the mid file.

I have a few DOS midi players on my Time-machine. I'll check what they are and post them here.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 16, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mostly use xmiplay.exe of Miles Sound System 3.x, it is aware of MT-32 and plays XMI files. But for games using modified patches an appropriate XMI containing SySex information should be played before the actual song XMI.

Alternatively you can use xplay.exe of MSS 2.0 with mt32mpu.adv driver.

XMIPLAY.EXE (MSS 3.x): http://www.mirsoft.info/gamemids-help.php
XPLAY.EXE (MSS 2.0): http://www.ke5fx.com/

Reply 9 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks all for the suggestions, will try and report back... MFPLAY seem to only support GS though, gsplay was playing midis wrong for me... never used XMIPLAY, not sure where to grab xmis though

Reply 10 of 16, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you haven't responded to this:

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

You just need to make sure that the SySex information is included in the mid file.

or you have extra file with sysex.
gs/mfplay plays mt32 midis perfectly.

Reply 11 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:
you haven't responded to this: […]
Show full quote

you haven't responded to this:

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

or you have extra file with sysex.
gs/mfplay plays mt32 midis perfectly.

well, I got Monkey Island and SQ3 theme song midis from Quest Studios (for mt32 ofcourse) and gsplay played them like crap. That's why I started looking for a player/good midis.

Reply 13 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

extra file with sysex? nope, I wa under the impression sysex is embedded on the midi file? care to elaborate more on this?
I do try on a pc with a LAPC-I and midis play through it btw.

Reply 15 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes I did some reading and understood that for some mids I needs to send the sysex before playback... I was under the impression sai sysex was embedded but apparently that's not always the case ... thanks!

Reply 16 of 16, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XMI is a native MIDI file format used by legacy MSS libraries, thus every game that used MSS contains music in XMI format. Sometimes there are plain XMI files lying somewhere, but more often you need to rip them out of game resources.

Alternatively, there's a MIDIFORM utility included in MSS 2.0 that converts any MID file to a XMI one.