VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always try to install the newest ones available when setting up a new computer, but I've always asked myself what they actually do. I take it that if Windows runs it just uses the ones provided by the OS, but will installing new ones actually improve performance?

Reply 1 of 2, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chipset drivers can provide better performance or fix major compatibility issues that the generic Intel/MS drivers cannot. But the effect is not the same for all chipset vendors.

Intel for example, generally doesn't need drivers or most of the time they're already included in the OS (for example any P2/3 chipset on Win98SE, or any i8xx chipset on XP). But the specific IDE drivers can sometimes benefit performance.

Via (historically) is much worse off. You usually NEED their 4-in-1/Hyperion drivers to make the system stable. From AGP compatibility to chipset bugs, finding a proper stable chipset driver is vital. The KT133A for example had a massive IDE bug that corrupted your data, patched in the 4-in-1 chipset driver. KT400 & newer boards are better off.

For NVidia/Nforce chipset, you actually don't absolutely need the specific drivers unless you're trying to install a Win98 or 2000 system. Legacy issues and support for various video cards are pretty much the main reasons you'll need any Forceware driver. Although they conveniently bundle integrated device drivers as well, like the audio codec & network controller. For any NForce based board, don't install the IDE driver unless you absolutely need to for RAID or it actually provides better performance.

For AMD chipsets (modern boards, like 760/790/880/990FX or GX), chipset drivers bundle Northbridge/Southbridge, RAID, sometimes audio, USB3 & other driver support. You may need them to interface overclocking programs or fan control utilities, but it's mostly a matter of device support. Very old AMD platforms (like Slot A) had serious compatibility issues with legacy video cards and you pretty much need any available chipset driver.

I should also mention that proper USB controller support is almost always included in chipset drivers. You can sometimes find these individually (Leadtek used to have a separate driver on a lot of their boards), however USB2 or 3 support is generally installed at the same time as your NB/SB driver.