Common searches

VAT in USA

Topic actions

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed on wiki that some states doesn't have VAT like New Hampshire. Does that mean you can buy everything cheaper there (like pc parts 😉 )?

Reply 1 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

I noticed on wiki that some states doesn't have VAT like New Hampshire. Does that mean you can buy everything cheaper there (like pc parts 😉 )?

Over here we call it "sales tax". It is true that New Hampshire has no sales tax, and the residents of that state do not pay sales tax on products they buy in state. Out of state residents do not need to pay sales tax for products intended to be consumed or used in the state (on a vacation or for a vacation home for example). However, if you purchase a product to use in your home state which has a sales tax, the laws of your home state may require you to pay sales tax for that item, usually on your state's income tax return. In that case, its probably better referred to as a use tax. I am sure people always pay all their legally obligated sales and use taxes. I'd be 😳 to hear otherwise.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 5, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

I live in Oregon, we do not have Sales Tax here either, however, it also depends on the state you live in, you may or may not be obligated to pay that tax upon purchase even if you buy the parts from here.

I think both the states of WA and CA requires this and if you purchase online that evendor may include that tac within the purchase at checkout.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

even the highest us sales tax is nothing compared to 23% here 😉

but who cares, used parts are way cheaper anyway 😉

Is that in UK?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers