VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So recently I decided to create a new Sorcerer on Diablo 1, and so far I've gotten him to level 11, defeated the butcher, and just finished the quest where you have to decontaminate the spring.

Anyhow, at first I was just saving normally, but then after I killed the butcher for the first time I figured that it would be cool to explore some new dungeon layouts (because Diablo randomly generates its dungeon maps) and get my character some more XP, so I started a new game with him (which the game allows you to do), ran through the first few levels of the dungeon again, and defeated the butcher for a second time, as well as decontaminating the spring. Anyhow, the first time I defeated the butcher, I got his cleaver, and naturally I held onto it because it's a cool unique item. The second time I defeated him, I somehow ended up with another one, exactly the same. 🤣

I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but if it is it's pretty game-breaking because essentially it means that you can keep defeating the butcher and selling his cleaver over and over for easy money and XP. 😜

I'm not playing with any gameplay hacks, but I do have a no-CD patch so that I don't have to devote another drive letter to it in Daemon Tools. And yes, I do actually have a legit, physical copy of the game. Also, I'm playing SP because there are too many hackers on B.net, and almost none of my friends would be interested in doing multiplayer on Diablo 1 (they're all too busy with Diablo 3, which I think is mediocre compared to the first two games 😜).

Reply 2 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

Yes, you can repeat it, but the Cleaver is not worth a lot and you will receive less XP on higher levels.

I see, so it isn't some weird glitch with my copy of the game then. 🤣

Reply 3 of 6, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upon starting a new game, quests are chosen at random from a small selection. If you get the quest, you also always get the reward associated with that quest.

The term "unique" item isn't quite correct for quest rewards, as they can exist multiple times.

In fact, you can also have multiple copies of all unique items as the game only checks for duplicate drops within the same game. So if you get unique item A to drop in a game, it won't drop again in that particular game. If you start a new one, even with unique item A in your backpack or equipped, you have a chance for it to drop again.

There is a small selection of unique items that are extremely rare due to a programming oversight, but that's somewhat off topic 😉

::42::

Reply 4 of 6, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And btw the butcher quest isn't obligatory, some games will have another quest instead of it. You can determine it at the beginning judging on presence or absence of the wounded man before the cathedral door.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 5 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

And btw the butcher quest isn't obligatory, some games will have another quest instead of it. You can determine it at the beginning judging on presence or absence of the wounded man before the cathedral door.

I never knew that. I remember playing about a week ago and the wounded guy didn't appear, and I thought it was some sort of a glitch or something. 🤣

Reply 6 of 6, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
bristlehog wrote:

I never knew that. I remember playing about a week ago and the wounded guy didn't appear, and I thought it was some sort of a glitch or something. 🤣

You get quests in single player Diablo chosen from groups:

Every Game: Chamber of Bone, Archibishop Lazarus, Diablo Group 1: One of these two: The Curse of King Leoric, Poisoned Water […]
Show full quote

Every Game: Chamber of Bone, Archibishop Lazarus, Diablo
Group 1: One of these two: The Curse of King Leoric, Poisoned Water Supply.
Group 2: Two of these three: The Butcher, Gharbad the Weak, Ogden's Sign.
Group 3: Two of these three: The Magic Rock, Arkaine's Valor, Halls of the Blind.
Group 4: Two of these three: Zhar the Mad, The Black Mushroom, Anvil of Fury.
Group 5: One of these two: Warlord of Blood, Lachdanan.

In multiplayer you will always get: The Butcher, the Curse of King Leoric, Archbishop Lazarus, and Diablo

You can find more here: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Diablo_Quests
There's also a veeeeery in-depth guide for Diablo, but I have to look at home for a copy of it (I printed it and bound it), because I can't find it anywhere on the Internet right now.

EDIT: here it is: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-12141.html

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices