VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So tonight I had a circuit breaker blow in my house and when I reset it nothing energized on the outlets.

I was able to find the faulty breaker by checking with a VOM and even when in the on position there was zero volts on the hot lead.

Since I had spares in the breaker panel I moved the hot lead over to another 20 amp breaker and I was in business, or so I thought.

When I plugged in my gaming machine the lovely magic smoke of burning components appeared and I quickly unplugged the power cable.

I removed the side panels to the chassis and smelled around and sure enough my PS unit smelled of that acrid burnt carbon smell 🙁

I removed it and checked the other components but nothing else seemed to be amiss, however, until I get a replacement I will not know if any other component took any damage or not.

I think I heard a pop when the breaker fried but can't be sure.

The interesting thing is that the other equipment appears to be ok including my file server where I am typing right now.

I was actually looking to get that replaced with another newer, more effecient unit as the now dead ps unit is over 6 years old now.

And I was looking forward to playing some more Borderlands 1 tonight too...

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1 of 2, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's kinda odd... did you have the system plugged into a surge protector? I'm trying to think whether the circuit breaker failed thanks to the PSU or vice versa. If vice versa, and you had it plugged into a surge protector that was still in good working order (they do wear out eventually) you might be able to get the thing replaced under warranty and may even be able to cash in on equipment coverage.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 2, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

That's kinda odd... did you have the system plugged into a surge protector? I'm trying to think whether the circuit breaker failed thanks to the PSU or vice versa. If vice versa, and you had it plugged into a surge protector that was still in good working order (they do wear out eventually) you might be able to get the thing replaced under warranty and may even be able to cash in on equipment coverage.

It was connected onto a surge strip, in fact I have another one at the wall outlett too.

I'm just glad that so far nothing else on that same circuit seems to have been effected.

The warranty coverage I'm not worried, since the PS unit was over 6 years old now.

As for any other compoents, well, I will have to see and test.

No matter where you go, there you are...