VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, while rebuilding my SS7 machine, I discovered some caps had leaked and the solder points had come completely apart. As I don't have my tools, I have to consider this board dead for now.

In my depression, I made a thrift store run this morning, and at the first place I went, found a damn nice AT machine. It's an Acer Acros 500HD. I saw the Pentium Inside badge on the case, took a look and saw the slots were all populated and up to the register I went. $25 on the sticker, turned out to be 50% off day on all electronics, so I get the whole thing for $12.50.

So, it's a Socket 5 P100, POST screen shows 74-something k of RAM, it's got an STB Horizon+ PCI video card (CL GD5430), and an Acer Magic S20 sound card. The case itself is pretty damn nice, all black AT case with black 4x CD and floppy.

I've attached a picture of the front below.

Anyway, I get it home and plug it in to test it out. POSTS just fine (no clue how to get into the BIOS though...any help on that part?). It doesn't recognize the drives connected to the IDE headers though. I swapped hard drives, no go. I swapped cables and tried with both drives, nothing. The IDE controller must be dead I'm thinking.

Now, the entire system is nice for the time, I'm guessing early-mid 95? However, it's just too slow for my tastes. What I'm planning, is to simply swap the boards for a nice AT Socket 7 or SS7 and reuse the case as it's so damn sweet.

Can anyone recommend a board that's somewhat easy and/or cheap to find as a replacement?

Also, where would a Socket 5 pentium system slot in for most people's gaming needs? I could always just grab an IDE controller card and bypass the onboard altogether.

Attachments

• WP_20130517_017.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20130517_017.jpg
    File size
    85.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can't get into the BIOS it could be because it is running on a similar solution to my Compaq. Here the BIOS is running of a hidden partition on the harddrive! Loose your harddrive and/or restore disc and forever forget to be able to enter it.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The old Toshiba laptop I have uses a small control program that interfaces with the BIOS to change options etc.

Oh well, I may be replacing the board anyway.

Reply 3 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could also get a Powerleap type adapter and install a Pentium 200 or 233 in it. If you're lucky an AMD K6-II/III might work as well. The case is super nice btw!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a couple of spare K6-2s lying around, a 475 and 500 mhz. Up for grabs if you need them Vetz.

I was kind of hoping to find a board with an AGP slot for this case. I don't suppose there are any SS7 AT boards?

Reply 5 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, fuck it. I just picked up a P2B-S from ebay to replace the dead SS7 board. I'll keep this one as is, add a controller card, and use it for DOS. The P2B will handle early Windows games once I find a slow enough PII, and the P3 box I have will handle everything up to the XP/DX9 cutoff.

Sweet.

Now...can anyone recommend a cheap IDE controller card? Doesn't have to be much, all the parts in this thing will be complementary.

Reply 6 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just go SATA. Apart from the CD-ROM all my storage options in my MS-DOS Time-Machine are SATA and it works without any issues.

And yes, there are Socket 7 AT boards. Actually a LOT more than ATX.

That Compaq should take a regular Pentium 200. Any more speed and you are better off with a BX chipset machine.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Just go SATA. Apart from the CD-ROM all my storage options in my MS-DOS Time-Machine are SATA and it works without any issues.

And yes, there are Socket 7 AT boards. Actually a LOT more than ATX.

That Compaq should take a regular Pentium 200. Any more speed and you are better off with a BX chipset machine.

Compaq?

Trying to do the rest of this on the cheap. Just blew a wad of money on video cards and a new motherboard.

Actually, Mau, this machine is meant to be my DOS time machine 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree. Acer made really nice cases. Actually, considering the time period the black colour was quite rare.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I'm going to keep this machine as is and just use either a sata adapter or go for IDE>CF.

This will end up being my DOS machine. The PCI video card in it is kinda shitty from what I can find. Thinking of swapping it out for a voodoo3 pci or something, just to get the maximum awesomeness for 2D DOS games and Win 3.11. I guess I could also run some DOS Glide games since it'll be a voodoo in it? Not sure how bad the p100 will hamper that though.

Does anyone have any experience with the CL-GD5430 that's in here? Will it suffice to mate up with a voodoo1, or should I look for a faster 2D card as this will be running pure DOS and Win 3.11 games. Targeted range for this is 1990-1995/6.

I ran some speedsys tests with the caches on/off and it seems to slow down pretty nicely for the old stuff.

Reply 11 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Got me curious... do you mean using a pci SATA controller card/adapter with SATA harddrives, or something like that ?

I know 😊 , I should probably check out those videos of yours, but... (my current browser has some problems vs youtube)

Reply 13 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:

Got me curious... do you mean using a pci SATA controller card/adapter with SATA harddrives, or something like that ?

Yes 😀

You need to get one with a BIOS (the cheap ones on eBay are listed as having a RAID Bios). Otherwise you can't use them in DOS.

The SATA PCI card gets around any BIOS limitations. I have a 640GB HDD in my machine. But you do need to keep software limitations in mind when partitioning and formatting.

For MS-DOS 7.1 I recommend a 60GB partition max. FDISK can't deal with disks larger than 60GB, so I use a Boot CD (Super fdisk) to create this partition. After this just format and you are good to go 😁

Haven't played around with SATA CD drives much, but they all lack analogue audio out, so IDE is the way to go anyway.

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, DOS 7.1.... wondered about that - me planning on DOS 6.22 would be less efficient then (disk&partition size/wasted space/would it even work?)

Though I guess there are no real reasons to not use 7.1(?).

BTW, a bootable SATA adapter card, or even IDE, is rreally hard to find.
Even the ones with a bios chip often do not boot (raid only or whatnot) or have various issues with DOS or even DOOM2 on the occation they actually complete the boot sequence properly.
And things like QEMM also does not like the added 'layer'.
(all this on 6.22 with CF adapter+microdrive)

Tried partioning and formatting the disk via PartitionMagic, on XP machine.
Which did not work well when installing DOS afterwards(looked fine in windows though), so FDISK was my only solution in the end.

Reply 15 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MS-DOS 6.22 will work fine, but you are stuck with 2GB partitions. Now you can create for example four 2GB partitions, the only problem is that if you put such a drive into a drive reader on a desktop, Windows will only see the first partition. Linux will see all four 🙁

Well what I found is they need to have their own BIOS. meaning you can go into the RAID Bios, but apart from creating a Raid array, there is really nothing else you can do.

In the computer BIOS just setting the Boot order to boot from C and they will boot. If you have another drive hooked up to the IDE, that drive will boot first, but setting the boot order to SCSI will fix this.

Here I have two Sata drives in my Time-Machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=filEaqh_1xs&li … gbVqyX&index=15

It was a cheap $10 PCI adapter from eBay as per this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53x9wtkNeBc&li … zgbVqyX&index=8

At around 7:30.

eBay pages are here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251237464717?ssPag … 984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330632518665?ssPag … 984.m1439.l2649

I do have two promise adapters (with 1 IDE and 2 SATA) but haven't had a need to use them over the cheap ones 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update. I managed to get the board to recognize the drive that came with the computer.

The drive has a jumper option for 40-pin cable. The cable I'm using is not an older-style 40-pin, but whatever. This, coupled with setting auto-config on in the BIOS finally picked up the drive.

So, I have a 7.5g drive in here now.

I'm using Mau's newest installing DOS 7.1 video as a guide, but I had to modify it a bit as this board cannot boot from CD. I booted the CD on my middle machine and just copied the contents of the emulated A: drive to the hard disk, rebooted, and then copied it to an actual floppy.

Formatting right now, so let's see how far I can get with this as a pure DOS machine...

Reply 17 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turns out the drive is bad, failed big time on a scandisk surface scan. Tried my only other remaining IDE drive and...that one is bad too. Verified in another machine.

Ordered one of the sata cards linked above. Fuck it, time to modernize for the sake of playing games.

Reply 18 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still looking for a backup motherboard.

The case has cutouts for both KB/Mouse ps/2 ports side by side, so are there any boards you can think of that have those?