Common searches

What is it with retro computing?

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just thinking out loud here....what is it with retro computing? Was older software better? Were older computers and operating systems more reliable, or more fun? Or it simply a way of connecting with an earlier memory, perhaps happier times? Probably all of the above. I admit, there is something to running DOS and earlier versions of Windows.I may not be happy until I build a 486 computer. And..... long after moving things to DVD and then to external hard drives...I still have a wallet full of CD-ROM disks...some of them the original 8X 650 megabyte disks, recorded with my first CD-burner. Scan them and they have no more errors than a newly recorded disk. It's nice to know there are other people who think the same way.

Reply 1 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's like having a time machine. A lot of people like to go back and find out what it would have been like to have a system with all the parts they never could afford when they were new and that are relatively cheap now.

Reply 3 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's about the happy memories as a child / teen. Reliving them.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 21, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I often think about what I would do differently If I had it all to over again. I would avoid tape-backup like the plague, and probably go with zip drives until CD-Rs became affordable. And avoid K6-2 anything.

Reply 6 of 21, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me it is reliving some of my past (DOS gaming and my C64), checking out some things I liked but could not afford at the time (vintage analog video capture and editing high end systems), and trying some new things (Amiga, Mac, Apple II, Atari 800, etc).

Some hardware I could never afford to play with got dirt cheap (IBM PS/2, EISA workstations, large variety of add-on cards) so it is fun.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 21, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 90's were a time of great tech revolutions, lots of it hype, and I was a poor student so didn't have the cash to gets hands on with most of it. Now I can.

Also I take great pleasure in sitting in front of a computer that has no internet access. Nothing popping up to distract you, just the command prompt and me. There's magic in them beige boxes!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

checking out some things I liked but could not afford at the time

That is true. We can now get "the best" for reasonable money and check out what me "missed".

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That, and emulation isn't perfect... though DOSBox is far ahead in emulating a DOS system than anything emulating the N64 does faithfully, relatively 😀

though there is still that 'win95-2000' gap we can't really emulate well yet, often the big motivation for building a retro 9x rig.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 21, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, leileilol, would you be referring to a certain animated mouse cursor tail in the AMIBIOS?
My dual PPro machine has it 😀

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 11 of 21, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Retro computing lets me play with stuff I was drooling over and couldn't afford when new. It also lets me experience hardware that wasn't necessarily available to the general consumer base at the time, like most higher-end multiprocessor setups.

Last edited by m1919 on 2013-05-20, 08:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 12 of 21, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The searching and building up stuff. The computers you always wanted but couldn't afford. The games you didn't get to play in your outdated computer. The reliving of a particular period of your life, etc.

Another important reson IMO is finding people with your same tastes.
A community like Vogons where you can share your thoughts and talk about your hobby is a very important reason why I also got into this. It gives you the opportunity to share and socialize with people that shares your same hobby: Showing off your computer setups, benchmarks, etc.

Reply 13 of 21, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my case, mostly to play certain games or utilize certain pieces of software that do not work properly on modern systems or emulators.

Reply 14 of 21, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Problem solving 😀 Getting these older systems and software working always involves a healthy amount of it. For the engineer mindset, this is fun. I'm sure there's plenty of us who have spent more time building/upgrading our systems than actually playing games on them.

Reply 15 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had a PC back in the days, my PC experience started with a Celeron 1700 and Radeon 8500. I was always curious when it came to older PCs, I wanted to know what it's like. Then, in 2009, I got a 386SX-40 for $3 and -bang!- I found out it was way cooler than I expected.

Games today are either too easy or stupid or have adds or suck money from you. A lot of them are made to maximize income, a lot of them can be walked through with no effort. It's not cool at all.

And as you look at older games, they are totally different. They were made "By gamers for gamers". Awesome titles, original ideas, not "Click your way through to level 60" crap. And it's cool to store ERAS of older games on a single hard drive. I'm a pirate, sorry for that, I just don't want to pay money to some gog website, which is by no means connected with original software developers.

I'm not against all modern games, I had fun with Diablo III and Skyrim, but if they are the of best... I don't want to know what the average looks like.

Reply 16 of 21, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not into retro/vintage hardware myself, but as a developer, I kinda like the fact I can apply this library of knowledge I have rotting in my brain somewhere. Additionally, developing against old systems is easier these days (even if all you do is try to get some old game running again) than back then; more information is available, tools are more powerful, etc..

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 17 of 21, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i enjoy it for a number of reasons: i could not afford a maxed 486 back in 1993. I much prefer older games and rpgs. Its good stress relief like any hobby and gives you an outlet to find like minded individuals who also have great memories of the 486 era and games like day of the tentacle and ultima 7. Of course there is nostalgia..

Reply 18 of 21, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glide
Building and configuring cool rigs from parts that were way out of reach back in the day
Rendition
Building progress-proof sanctuaries to ensure vintage games can run free of threat
Glide
Dosbox for everything else!

Reply 19 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Besides the usual reason I mainly enjoy it for experimentation and collecting. As for the games these days they are what some of us have been calling for years "face roll" especially some of the online multiplayer titles.

On the side, older systems are great for testing different ideas when it comes to modding before applying them to newer but costly modern systems. Things do get exciting when there is something that everyone else doesn't have in my hands 😉 That is the joy that many here enjoy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.