VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone with a dead 386/486 board?

If anyone has a dead 386/486 board with some 30-pin SIMMs, would you be willing to donate the SIMM sockets to me so that I can fix my AMI Mark V Baby Screamer? I don't need/want the whole board, just the SIMM slots and perhaps the 386 PGA. I have discoverd that cutting motherboard PCB's with prunning shears is the fastest way to go about this. See attached photo.

While it seems some places still sell new SIMMs, it would cost $32 to order 8 SIMMs. Of my box of junk boards, I unfortunately don't have any with 30-pin SIMMs.

Many thanks!

Attachments

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 486 board that I can cut the 8x 30pin simm slots (actually 4 dual ones, 8 sticks in total), would it work for you? no 386 cpu though at all...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Keropi. Thank you for offering. Yes, 4 pairs will work. The Mark V Baby Screamer also uses pairs of SIMM sockets. Any idea how much it would cost to mail the SIMMs in a padded envelope to Canada?

No big deal about not getting the PGA, the existing one still works, but has gotten the crap beaten out of it. For whatever reason, AMI used a PGA whereby the 386 CPU can be pushed all the way to the bottom of the PGA, without leaving any gap for prying. My other 386 CPUs snap in at a certain displacement, leaving about 2 mm of clearance for prying. For the AMI, though, the black PVC around the pins has become loose and very cracked. The female PGA mating holes on the AMI are also a lot tighter than on any other 386 PGA I've played with, which makes swapping CPUs challenging.

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

with simple airmail in a padded envelope, assuming it's either:
100gr -> ~3.2e
150gr -> ~3.7e
200gr -> ~4.2e

I will know exactly when I cut them 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jameco has the double sockets for $0.29US if you have trouble finding replacements. I might be tempted to get some. One or two of the 30pin sockets on my 486 boards have bent retainer clips.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl … 0001_1954746_-1

Reply 5 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anybody outside of the US ordered from Jameco before? When I put in a dummy order, I get this for shipping:

"To more accurately assess your shipping charges, Jameco will determine shipping weight and assess charges when the package ships."

However, you need to input your credit card information FIRST!

The shipping options presented are:

FedEx Priority International
UPS Express Saver International
USPS International Express Mail
UPS Canada Standard
FedEx Economy Mail

I'm guessing that shipping will be ~$12, handling ~5, merchandise ~3 (4x30-pin, 4x72-pin-why not?).. so I'm back up to $20.

I'm going to send an e-mail inquiry to Jameco. $20 is too high for a motherboard repair job with high risk.

EDIT: Shipping is $11, Handling is $5

Reply 6 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was able to find a few other items from Jameco that I needed, so I went ahead and ordered the SIMM sockets from them. Once you get your order above $10, they waive the $5 handling fee. NJRoadfan: Thank you for pointing me to these super cheap SIMMs.

Keropi: Thank you for your offerings, but it looks like I will no longer need any cut motherboard parts.