VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have built up a Pentium 200MMX to play games from around 1994-1998. Do I really need Windows 95? Are there games from 1997-98 that are not compatible with DOS? Or would work better in a Windows 95 environment?
I'm more of a DOS fan, so if Windows 95 is not necessarily I would preffer not having it installed. My options?

Reply 1 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol, most from 97-98 certainly won't run on DOS. Last significant game for that was perhaps Shadow Warrior in 1997. The majority of games from 1996 on were for Win95. For a lot of games from that time period there exist both DOS and Win95 versions, of which I prefer the Win95 ones because for some reason the awkward DOS mouse movement puts me really off in RTS games.

I don't fully get the sense of that question though. The benefits of DOS operation in Win9x would be the multitasking environment, memory management emulation, USB HID emulation etc. If you don't need all of that then you don't need Windows.

Reply 3 of 13, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stull wrote:

I'd just install Windows 95 and set up a CONFIG.SYS boot menu with pure DOS and Win95 options. You can set the default boot to DOS, and ignore Win95 until you need it.

Yes that would be a very good option indeed. I'm going to search through the web because I don't know how to set up a boot menu in Dos environment.

Reply 4 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah that's easy!

Easiest is just installing Windows. Then you go Shutdown > MS-DOS mode. In DOS type EXIT or simply reboot and you're back in Windows.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 13, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Ah that's easy!

Easiest is just installing Windows. Then you go Shutdown > MS-DOS mode. In DOS type EXIT or simply reboot and you're back in Windows.

Good option too Mau1wurf1977, but I think it would be neater and more fun a direct boot into DOS and then choose Windows if neccesary, or even set up a boot menu like the one I saw in your videos!

Reply 6 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that's just as easy. Just need to edit MSDOS.SYS and change a few flags! It's well documented and many people here will be able to help you out 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 13, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

it's easier to install dos first and later install win95. everything will be done for you 😀 (same with every next windows till today)

But does it have to be Dos 7.1, or can Dos 6.22 be installed?
Also do you have to modify any files?

Nevertheless I think I'm going to try it out!

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-05-21, 14:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With DOS 6.22 you can only have FAT16 partitions (max 2GB).

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 13, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pardon my ignorance but, do I need to install drivers in W95 for the graphic cards?
S3 trio64+ and Voodoo1.
In regards to the monitor, should I choose Plug-n-Play? It is a Philips crt monitor. The image doesn't appear centered when 800x600 is chosen.

Reply 11 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you need to install official drivers for the Trio64v+ and Voodoo Graphics, because Win95 does not ship with any (ok it ships with a generic "S3" driver for the former, but it doesn't work well)

apsosig.png
long live PCem