VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+Tries+to+Use+ … rticle31609.htm

Is there no depth to which they will not stoop?

Reply 2 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*shrugs*

Were the roles reversed, Samsung would do the exact same thing.

I have no sympathy for firms like Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google, or Apple, because I know they all have hordes of lawyers actively looking for ways to sue each other.

The real winners are law firms.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 15, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google, or Apple, because I know they all have hordes of lawyers...

...and the rest of the 'ruling class'...

Last edited by tincup on 2013-05-23, 04:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, the apple has become quite rotten lately. Apple has been on the offensive, and basically a whiner, ever since Samsung started to overtake it, in terms of technological advancement and sales. Apple is unable to keep up pace with Samsung.

(***Malik pours more petrol into the fire*** 😁)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 15, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." - Steve Jobs in Triumph of the Nerds

Yeah, he's dead and all, but is it any different now that he is? Same goes for the rest of the big guys - it's just that Apple never could shut up about its own "originality" regardless.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 6 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

The real winners are law firms.

I'm glad SOMEONE else realizes this. >_>;

Many of the constant patent and trademark battles going on between big-name companies are completely wasteful. Bethesda's been one of the worst, believe it or not, for starting pointless lawsuits that they can't hope to win. BUT, when you consider what happened there, when the people making Skyrim clearly liked Minecraft, and then Bethesda goes and sues Mojang, it highlights just how huge of a disconnect there is between the members of a large company and its legal department. :/

These lawsuits are, for the most part, fuelled by greed on part of a legal department and nothing more. (Heck, there's even patent troll companies out there. They have patents for the sole purpose of suing people.) Occasionally some legitimate lawsuits go through, but the Apple vs. Samsung thing is one of those ridiculous ones. (I mean common, Apple, you're getting most of your components FROM Samsung, and you decide to go to war with them? Seriously?)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

First of all the real rotten things are the patent and trademark systems. Once you registered something there and you notice someone copying it, you owe it to your shareholders to go after them.
It's a dirty war and none of the phone makers comes out of it with a shining armor.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It probably doesn't help much that Apple started as the underdog who all the big boys laughed at for gmoving into their area. And now that apple proved immensly successful and profitable all want to do it like Apple.
I try to not be a kneejerk reaction apple fanboy. For the sake of discussion I ask to keep the kneejerk Apple hateboy reactions down 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm no fan of the way Apple does business, but @#% SamDung (at least their consumer appliance/device division). Every product I've ever owned from Samsung was poorly designed and overpriced. They're kind of like a bad knockoff of Sony (which I also despise).
They do make some pretty decent electronic components from what I can tell though...

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'm no fan of the way Apple does business, but @#% SamDung (at least their consumer appliance/device division). Every product I've ever owned from Samsung was poorly designed and overpriced. They're kind of like a bad knockoff of Sony (which I also despise).
They do make some pretty decent electronic components from what I can tell though...

They still have some of the best LCD panels on the market considering how early they got into making them. ;)

No idea what their LED or Plasma tech is like by comparison.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Actually, the apple has become quite rotten lately. Apple has been on the offensive, and basically a whiner, ever since Samsung started to overtake it, in terms of technological advancement and sales. Apple is unable to keep up pace with Samsung.

(***Malik pours more petrol into the fire*** 😁)

It's actually kinda funny how phone sales go. The quarter in 2012 where Galaxy S3 outsold iPhone 4S, was the quarter between iPhone 5 rumours starting, and iPhone 5 going on sale.

Rumour mill and speculation are pretty powerful forces in phone sales.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's really ironic here is that Apple relies on Samsung for many of the parts that go into the iPhone. Why is Samsung even tolerating any of these lawsuits and not simply cutting Apple off at the knees by not shipping parts to them anymore?

Reply 14 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I use a Hewlett-Packard SVGA monitor here, which is actually a rebranded Samsung. The colours are a bit off and the picture is kinda dim now, but it's still going strong after over 20 years of daily use.

Okay.. that is about the only good thing I can say about Samsung 🤣

Reply 15 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
sliderider wrote:

What's really ironic here is that Apple relies on Samsung for many of the parts that go into the iPhone. Why is Samsung even tolerating any of these lawsuits and not simply cutting Apple off at the knees by not shipping parts to them anymore?

Breach of contract? It is very good money and since Apple accounts for so many parts why not let Apple finance the lawsuit costs 😉
Seriously they are in a very strange relationship that both want out of ASAP. Apple waited quite a bit before going after Samsung, most likely due to this relationship