Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 4740 of 5944, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C&C: Tiberian Sun - Firestorm NOD campaign finally done. Took a while, I was already running on fumes when I started it and then it turned out the first three missions are the kind where you don't get a base. What was left of my motivation leaked out of my butt.

Took a few weeks off, read a couple books (I recommend Prefect from Alastair Reynolds to all fans of scifi, I liked it a lot) and was then ready to finish what I started. This time the way too easy difficulty of the game was a benefit, didn't take long to finish the campaign. Now I can take an earned break from C&C and finally mark Firestorm and Red Alert Allied campaign as beaten, took only 20+ years.

Reply 4742 of 5944, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote on 2023-01-19, 22:06:
What do you think of it? Most people who played it (and then comment on it, and I find their comments) seem to see it as disappo […]
Show full quote

What do you think of it? Most people who played it (and then comment on it, and I find their comments) seem to see it as disappointing and acceptable at best, but I really like it. Well, I really like a lot of it. Unfortunately, I feel that some sections of the game are boring, there aren't enough enemies in many parts of the game, the story is very badly told (seriously, I must have completed the game half a dozen times now, and I still seem to have missed most of the story), the most fun enemies to fight (the ones who can slow down time for themselves) occurrtoo late in the game and too infrequently, I wish there wasn't a weapon carrying limit (still, at least it's three weapons, and not the far more annoying two weapons as in many other games), and even though some of the areas are quite big there is little incentive to explore because you don't find hidden rewards (such as unique or at least rare weapons, or friendly NPCs who you can optionally save).

On the plus side, many of the levels are really fun, the weapons are great, graphics-wise I really like the alternative time-line style building and the fantastic weather effects, and the time-based puzzles were short enough to not get repetitive. When the game is good, it can be really good.

And the time powers were at times great! Being able to rewind time, whilst not really useful, looks great, at least for the first two or three times you try it), but being able to slow down time at will is great, and being able to stop time, then shoot some enemies, then restart time and watch the enemies then get hit and die is fantastic.

But the problem with the time mechanics is that they are too short. You can rewind time for about seven seconds, which, aside for a few in-game puzzles and one quick dash to safety near the beginning of the game, is over to quickly for you to do anything productive. You can rewind time and bring back anyone who has just died, but then you don't have enough time to save them from dying again if they are facing more than one enemy. The time-pause and time-fast-forward functions are less limited, because they last for about twice as long as time-rewind, but they are still too short to try anything really non-conventional when fighting a group of enemies.

What this game really, REALLY needed was an upgrade system, so you could upgrade how much time-energy your suit could store, how efficient your time-pause power is (more efficient would make it use less time-energy, so basically it increases the time you can stay paused), how efficient time-rewind is, how efficient time-slowdown is, how much damage your shield can take before it stops working, and so on. A good upgrade system could have really transformed this game.

And, like so many good first person shooters before it, Timeshift has the obligatory unenjoyable level. I hate the tedious turret section when you're travelling in the flying zepplin thing.

I wish more games had copied Timeshift's time mechanics. You could make some really great first and third person shooters that utilized time control.

I am enjoying it overall. It has some definite AAA gameplay moments, but the cutscenes & storyline seem rushed and disjointed. The time shifting aspect is definitely the golden star of this title. It works well. Some of the weapons blow your enemies into meat chunks which is fairly humorous and the sniper rifle is ace. As far as enemies go, my absolute favorite are the baddies with the time suits (or whatever they call them) that show up towards the middle of the game. They're difficult to target and you have to really use your 'slow down time' ability efficiently. I die a lot in this game, but at least I can save at any point in a level. One of my dumbest moments in the game was when I came across a huge enemy mech on my ATV and I kept dying trying to avoid it and then shooting it with every weapon I had. Of course right next to me, the entire time, was a truck loaded with a rocket launcher. Duh! Took me about thirty minutes to slow down and get my ADHD under control and actually investigate the truck. 🤣 This is why I don't play multiplayer FPS games that much. I'm the dude everyone offs first so they can actually have a challenging match. Ha. I used to love Counter Strike: Source back in the early 00s, but I always tried to make sure I was with terrible players.

Completely agree with you. This game could have really benefited from an upgrade system of some sort. Anyway, if you like TimeShift, definitely checkout 'Singularity'. It also has a time bending mechanic and I enjoyed that game just as much. Both GOG & Steam have Singularity & TimeShift on sale right now for anyone wanting to try them out.

Reply 4743 of 5944, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2023-01-20, 15:42:

Now I can take an earned break from C&C and finally mark Firestorm and Red Alert Allied campaign as beaten, took only 20+ years.

Congrats!

Heh, you reminded me that I need to finish that too, as well as the RA Counterstrike/Aftermath expansions. Never gotten around to either of those, despite having them in my collection for ages. I think the lack of cutscenes in the RA expansions kinda turned me off, at the time.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4744 of 5944, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-01-20, 16:14:
Sombrero wrote on 2023-01-20, 15:42:

Now I can take an earned break from C&C and finally mark Firestorm and Red Alert Allied campaign as beaten, took only 20+ years.

Congrats!

Heh, you reminded me that I need to finish that too, as well as the RA Counterstrike/Aftermath expansions. Never gotten around to either of those, despite having them in my collection for ages. I think the lack of cutscenes in the RA expansions kinda turned me off, at the time.

Thanks!

The only one I'm missing now is Yuri's Revenge for RA2 but that's only because I've written off Covert Operations, Counterstrike and Aftermath as "here be dragons" zone. I mean I get anxiety just by playing RA so I'd probably need to be sedated to play those 😀

I'm sure you already know they added the few videos the PS1 version had to the remastered Counterstrike and Aftermath, but that's the remastered version. At least you'd see general Carville's introduction to the series, he is great in RA2 so I guess there's that. As for Firestorm I'd say no need to feel pressured to get that done, it's not bad but it is fairly bland and forgettable. It does have cinematics but they aren't much of a step above text briefings, more like a drunken stumble.

The PS1 version reminded me that's how I played C&C and RA back in the 90s, with a PS1! D-pad, password "saves" and all! Sheesh I need to give that a go one day just to see how fast I pop a vein in the head.

Reply 4745 of 5944, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2023-01-20, 18:21:

I'm sure you already know they added the few videos the PS1 version had to the remastered Counterstrike and Aftermath, but that's the remastered version. At least you'd see general Carville's introduction to the series, he is great in RA2 so I guess there's that. As for Firestorm I'd say no need to feel pressured to get that done, it's not bad but it is fairly bland and forgettable. It does have cinematics but they aren't much of a step above text briefings, more like a drunken stumble.

Yeah, back in the day, I saw the PS1 version of Aftermath (Retaliation?) being played at a gaming store and realized it had cinematics, unlike the PC release which I had at home.

I think I'll probably try the remastered versions when/if I get in the mood for finally finishing these.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4746 of 5944, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm neck deep in TimeShift and I think I've been playing too long. I'm starting to get philosophical from the levels in the game. Such as, "A hall full of lasers is the path less traveled." Yeah, I need to take a break.

4o8M0wb.gif

Last edited by liqmat on 2023-01-22, 01:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4747 of 5944, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The above level is subtitled "Which idiot designed this security system?!!". 🤣

Whose specs include the impressive Guaranteed to stop 100% of perfectly square people who take up the entire hallway.

(but seriously, it looks pretty darn cool)

Reply 4748 of 5944, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2023-01-21, 23:43:

The above level is subtitled "Which idiot designed this security system?!!". 🤣

Whose specs include the impressive Guaranteed to stop 100% of perfectly square people who take up the entire hallway.

(but seriously, it looks pretty darn cool)

Ha. Yeah. I'm having fun. It's not a deep game, but it's definitely a fun ride regardless.

Reply 4749 of 5944, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps I mentioned this before, but I'm a big fan of Deep Rock Galactic. It's one of the best coop games I ever played.
It's a game I like to start up, play a round or 2 and then exit while leaving me feeling content and satisfied.
I play many games on and off, but DRG has been a stable for me for the last couple of years.

Strangely it's one of the few games that I play that is moddable, but I don't create any mods for.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4750 of 5944, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Minecraft version 1.7.2 playing peacefull-creative. I have uploaded that world/game onto my blog, even though it is not done.
I just want to build a city and will probably end up creating a small country of buildings.

Here is a couple of screenshots of some of my city.....

2023-01-23_13.05.07.png
Filename
2023-01-23_13.05.07.png
File size
525.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2023-01-23_13.04.21.png
Filename
2023-01-23_13.04.21.png
File size
556.1 KiB
Views
File license
2023-01-23_13.04.05.png
Filename
2023-01-23_13.04.05.png
File size
446.63 KiB
Views
File license
2023-01-23_13.03.46.png
Filename
2023-01-23_13.03.46.png
File size
253.76 KiB
Views
File license
2023-01-23_13.02.28.png
Filename
2023-01-23_13.02.28.png
File size
708.05 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4751 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2023-01-23, 20:54:
Minecraft version 1.7.2 playing peacefull-creative. I have uploaded that world/game onto my blog, even though it is not done. I […]
Show full quote

Minecraft version 1.7.2 playing peacefull-creative. I have uploaded that world/game onto my blog, even though it is not done.
I just want to build a city and will probably end up creating a small country of buildings.

Here is a couple of screenshots of some of my city.....

2023-01-23_13.05.07.png
2023-01-23_13.04.21.png
2023-01-23_13.04.05.png
2023-01-23_13.03.46.png
2023-01-23_13.02.28.png

Looking good, brostenen! Brings back fond memories of when my son was younger and I built a private server for us and his buddies to play on. They're all out of high school now and the server sits unused, ports shut to the outside world. It's actually being used as a home file server, so at least the hardware is still getting used.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4752 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished Tomb Raider 2013. Yeah, I enjoyed it overall. It had its ups and downs but it was entertaining enough for me to get to the end. Pretty satisfying endgame, I must say. Took about 25 hours for me.

2023-01-23 18_48_27-Tomb Raider.jpg
Filename
2023-01-23 18_48_27-Tomb Raider.jpg
File size
224.58 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 4753 of 5944, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After playing through Half-Life 2 several times, including (finally) making it through set to hard mode, I thought I'd try MMod since it seemed to be highly recommended. But I encountered a few different bugs that just ruined it for me. The man hacks are so tough that I ran out of ammunition at one point in Route Canal, something that has never happened to me before. I then had to take on two civil protection guys with just the stun baton, but as soon as the first soldier went down it would switch to the sub machine gun, and the second soldier would kill me before I could do anything because it was playing the reload animation instead of shooting him. And the part in Water Hazard where you have to put the blue barrels in the underwater cage to lift up the jump ramp I ended up in the cage, but when tried to swim down to get out of it nothing would happen and I drowned. And that's the end of my experiment with MMod.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4754 of 5944, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Arkham asylum on my gtx 570 system, it's way different from the sequels with its smaller scope and i like it quite a bit, i'm also impressed by the amount of visual details in a game released at the initial steps of a new generation at the time, it's also surprising to notice how unoptimized phsyx was at the time, the scarecrow 2nd level just tanks my FPS while the rest of the game runs like butter.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 4755 of 5944, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crysis

I didn't remember a single bit of it. Like I never played it.
Cool!

Am I wrong or in certain situations it keeps spawning enemies? 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4756 of 5944, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-01-25, 01:36:

After playing through Half-Life 2 several times, including (finally) making it through set to hard mode, I thought I'd try MMod since it seemed to be highly recommended. But I encountered a few different bugs that just ruined it for me. The man hacks are so tough that I ran out of ammunition at one point in Route Canal, something that has never happened to me before. I then had to take on two civil protection guys with just the stun baton, but as soon as the first soldier went down it would switch to the sub machine gun, and the second soldier would kill me before I could do anything because it was playing the reload animation instead of shooting him. And the part in Water Hazard where you have to put the blue barrels in the underwater cage to lift up the jump ramp I ended up in the cage, but when tried to swim down to get out of it nothing would happen and I drowned. And that's the end of my experiment with MMod.

As a HL enthusiast player I can understand your frustration.
BTW kudos for "hard"!

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4757 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last night I started Bioshock 2 and got about an hour in. It's been a little over 2 years since I beat Bioshock 1, so I feel I can get back into it now. Unless I was absolutely in love with a game, i will seldom play sequels immediately, and sometimes will go years between sequels. For example, it's been 6 years since I beat Legend of Grimrock 1 and still have not gotten around to Grimrock 2 even though it is a game I do want to play.

Tonight, I'm starting to generate some characters in Icewind Dale. This is generally a time-consuming process for me, and one of my favorite aspects of RPGs. I'm also pretty traditional with my parties and always have my leader as a Paladin if that class is available.

Reply 4758 of 5944, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2023-01-26, 01:21:
Crysis […]
Show full quote

Crysis

Cool!

There is that part early in the game where you attack a town to free some hostages or something and enemies absolutely do spawn infinitely in there.

That was the point when I noped out of the game and never went back, it just wasn't grabbing me at all.

Reply 4759 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2023-01-26, 01:21:
Crysis […]
Show full quote

Crysis

Cool!

I don't remember endless spawns in Crysis. I remember the snow tanking the framerate like hell on my poor HD4850 (IIRC), and I remember the final boss fight being dumb as fuck. It was otherwise a very fun game, I need to play Crysis: Warhead at some point.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.