What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 5260 of 5993, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trar wrote on 2023-09-04, 22:29:

Been replaying Wolfenstein 3D using ECWolf. So far I'm halfway through Spear of Destiny, and I'm not sure what I'll do after that. Maybe I'll play through Return to Castle Wolfenstein again.

You need to play Real RTCW. It's RTCW, the way it was meant to be played. The content from the console version put into the PC version, new weapons and enemies, new levels, and new gameplay features. There's also the Enemy Territory port, with all sorts of wonderful things to experience.

Reply 5261 of 5993, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-09-06, 12:35:
trar wrote on 2023-09-04, 22:29:

Been replaying Wolfenstein 3D using ECWolf. So far I'm halfway through Spear of Destiny, and I'm not sure what I'll do after that. Maybe I'll play through Return to Castle Wolfenstein again.

You need to play Real RTCW. It's RTCW, the way it was meant to be played. The content from the console version put into the PC version, new weapons and enemies, new levels, and new gameplay features. There's also the Enemy Territory port, with all sorts of wonderful things to experience.

I've been meaning to play that mod for ages, I've heard it's very good.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was great on both the PC and the original XBox. I've never played the Playstation 2 version, though, so I can't judge that one.

Gmanlives (a fantastic Youtuber, who reviews old and new first person shooters and third person shooters) reviews the PC version here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCWhEr7cRM

Or click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCWhEr7cRM&t=1534s to go straight to the brief (two minutes long) part of the video where he discusses the XBox and PS2 versions of the game, to see some of the differences between them and the PC versions.

Reply 5262 of 5993, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-09-06, 12:35:

You need to play Real RTCW. It's RTCW, the way it was meant to be played.

Critical helpful steam reviews say otherwise (i.e. drastically altering the gameplay balance neccessating the need for a 'classic mod'), which is a fair expectation of overambitious fan patches plugged around like the best thing since sliced bread, anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5263 of 5993, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2023-09-07, 03:44:

a fair expectation of overambitious fan patches plugged around like the best thing since sliced bread, anyway

Heroes 3 WoG comes to mind.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5264 of 5993, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2023-09-07, 12:09:
leileilol wrote on 2023-09-07, 03:44:

a fair expectation of overambitious fan patches plugged around like the best thing since sliced bread, anyway

Heroes 3 WoG comes to mind.

The various Deus Ex gameplay alterations as well.

This is why I almost never use fan mods. The authors are rarely satisfied with just fixing any leftover bugs, and usually end up putting in a bunch of gameplay changes which make the game "better" in their own view.

Personally, I'd rather play my games on real hardware using only official patches. However, I will happily use newer renderers (such as UTGLR) if they only improve the existing visuals. That is without any fan-made texture packs, new character models and whatnot.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5265 of 5993, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-09-07, 12:15:

This is why I almost never use fan mods. The authors are rarely satisfied with just fixing any leftover bugs, and usually end up putting in a bunch of gameplay changes which make the game "better" in their own view.

Personally, I'd rather play my games on real hardware using only official patches. However, I will happily use newer renderers (such as UTGLR) if they only improve the existing visuals. That is without any fan-made texture packs, new character models and whatnot.

Understandable stance, but to be fair not all mods go gung ho with their changes. Many of the larger mods do but that's often kinda their point, to change up things. But to be honest I don't like those kind of mods either, I haven't yet seen a mod which advertises itself as some sort of "ultimate" version of the game that has actually made me want to try it.

But theres plenty of mods I really like and always use with certain games, as much as I like Fallout: New Vegas and The Witcher 3 I still wouldn't want to play either of them without certain mods that make both games much more enjoyable for me at least by changing some things. Devs can do really baffling decisions and mods can be very helpful in those situations.

Reply 5266 of 5993, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-09-07, 12:15:

The various Deus Ex gameplay alterations as well.

Personally the only such "mod" I ever play for Deus Ex is "Shifter", a old version of it in particular. (because the latest version is weirdly messed up, but that's just par for the course I guess)

It doesn't change a whole lot to a ridiculous degree. One of my favourite things is consolidating the "Combat Strength" and "Microfibral Muscle" together and changing what used to be "Combat Strength" into "EMP Discharge" which gives your melee attacks EMP damage. Of course, I've never really bothered going that route and always just used the "Microfibral Muscle" augmentation instead.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5267 of 5993, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2023-09-07, 12:40:

Understandable stance, but to be fair not all mods go gung ho with their changes.

Yeah, but it's still rare to see actual bugfixes not being lumped together with a bunch of unwanted gameplay alterations.

That said, there is one mod that makes a clear distinction between the two, and I've been happily using it on every playthrough. I'm talking about Wesp5's Unofficial Patch for VTM:Bloodlines. It comes with two components: Basic and Plus. The basic version contains only bugfixes, while the plus edition has all the gameplay alterations. You can choose which to install according to your preferences. This is nice because the original game had a troubled development and shipped in a very buggy state. For that reason, I always add the basic patch to my installation.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5268 of 5993, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-09-07, 13:59:

Yeah, but it's still rare to see actual bugfixes not being lumped together with a bunch of unwanted gameplay alterations.

We've been looking at bugfixmods for different games I suppose, the fixpacks I know/use are nearly all "purist" packs with only fixes.

I said nearly, one of the only irksome exeptions is the first Fallout, for some reason it never got a good comprehensive fixpack that only fixes things. Some guy was working on a such a pack some years back but even the so called "purist" install of it changed things to his own preference. Then after years of work the guy stopped working on it and disappeared. Thus only options are to use an ancient small fixpack that leaves a lot unfixed (and probably causes a few more) or to use a mod that moves Fallout 1 to Fallout 2 engine, which in itself changes things more than I'd like.

But to get back on topic much to my surprise after only a day off BG I went and installed Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition, apparently even though BG nearly wore me down I'm not done yet. Even went back and killed Sarevok a second time just to get cleaner fight without losing anyone, lost half the party when I half-assed it the first time. The end cinematic worked that time so it just bugged out, three cheers for Beamdog.

Reply 5269 of 5993, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually enjoy some of the more drastic mods. However, I always go with a more vanilla experience and stick to bigfixes or widescreen support the first playthrough. If I'm playing a game for the nth time, I like to change things around a bit.

Reply 5270 of 5993, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure you'd call it playing but I tested Pool of Radiance. Because I bought the collectors edition with the 9 titles. accidently went into a bar and the game started playing itself (what the hell???) Now everyone is either dead or unconscious.

Reply 5271 of 5993, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2023-08-08, 06:27:
Wolfenstein: The New Order […]
Show full quote

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Got it for free some time ago from Amazon Prime Gaming.

Fast-paced, challenging and in general really fun, just how FPS should be 😁

Also graphically and story-wise it is really good.

Rise of the Triad

After the Ludicrous Edition release, I've finally decided to try it.

I've bought the classic DOS release from GOG for 0,5€, so I could play it on my PMMX rig with the Roland SC-55.

I'm enjoying it: it's like a better Wolfenstein 3D, which makes sense because the game was intended to be a sequel of it.

Also the MIDI OST is freaking awesome 🙂

Only bad note the mouse sensitivity: as bad as Wolf3D 😐

I finished Rise of The Triad: Dark War so now I'm playing the shareware version: The HUNT Begins, included in the GOG package.
IIRC, there are other additional levels, so after finishing this one I will try them.

Also continuing with Wolfenstein: The New Order, albeit very slowly.

Reply 5272 of 5993, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That said, I never play Deus Ex without GMDX. It's still Deus Ex, but enhanced enough to be new again. In a respectful way, not like Deus Ex Revision or others.

Or Lady Denton, which finally gives us the cut feature of playing as a woman instead of a man. With edited voice acting to reflect that. Neat !

Again, not a remake, just a way to enjoy a game that I played way too much again.

Reply 5275 of 5993, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been repetitively streaming Sandwarriors because I really love how it plays, despite having some very obnoxious missions in it.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5276 of 5993, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I start playing Wizardry 8 on my voodoo system, really great RPG! Love the atmosphere.
I think its hard to get in first, but you will get one of the best RPGs..

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5277 of 5993, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jackhead wrote on 2023-09-09, 09:41:

I start playing Wizardry 8 on my voodoo system, really great RPG! Love the atmosphere.
I think its hard to get in first, but you will get one of the best RPGs..

One of my favorite RPGs of all-time. I've completed it twice. Once when it came out, and once a few years ago as part of the Wizardry 6-8 trilogy. It took me a full year to beat 6, 7, and 8. I transferred my Wiz6 party over to 7, and my 7 party to 8. I love that they allowed that in 8, especially considering it was nearly 10 years between the two releases.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5278 of 5993, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just managed to get a score in the 2 million range in Sandwarriors on the "Very High" difficulty setting, happened on today's stream even.

It's probably the highest score I can possibly get because there's very little ammo to work with per mission and often no ample resupplies either.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5279 of 5993, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for asking in here guys buy I'm planning to play silent storm and wanted to use a retail disk, so I tried searching for English one but nope, only German versions.

I would like to know if the German version of silent storm gold is multilanguage or has at least English on it.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55