Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 5520 of 6004, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought SHODAN was a much better villain in SS1 (reminds me I need to check out the remake..) I thought The Many was in many ways a much scarier enemy than Shodan in SS2, maybe because Shodan was kind of familiar by that point. Regardless, SS2 is one of my GOATs. LOVE!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5521 of 6004, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-28, 15:44:
bobsmith wrote on 2023-11-28, 15:07:

Beat Deus Ex for the first time. Extremely impressive, cannot believe I've never played it before.

Deus Ex is indeed a masterpiece, and has stood the test of time quite well. The graphics may be outdated, and they weren't so great even back then, but pretty much everything else in that game is still awesome.

I should (and will!) definitely try it, having heard so much positivity about it.

For now - I'm playing Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Secret Files on a Thinkpad A31p with a 22-year old 15" IPS screen that ghosts like hell. It is quite the experience.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5522 of 6004, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2023-11-29, 17:15:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-28, 15:44:

Deus Ex is indeed a masterpiece, and has stood the test of time quite well. The graphics may be outdated, and they weren't so great even back then, but pretty much everything else in that game is still awesome.

I should (and will!) definitely try it, having heard so much positivity about it.

Deus Ex is one of my favorite games and I highly recommend it.

If you want to play it on a retro system, makes sure that your CPU is at least 1 GHz or faster. Some of the larger maps need a lot of processing power to run smoothly. The first level of the game (Liberty Island) is a good example of this.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5523 of 6004, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, I have so many games I want to get to, but now you guys are making me want to play Deus Ex again. I remember at the time it was a whole vibe, that I think lasted until the sequel kind of killed it. The early 2000's internet went all in on Deus Ex in a way that's hard to imagine these days. It was everywhere.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5524 of 6004, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-29, 11:09:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-11-29, 10:59:

Flamesuit ON: System Shock 2 is everything Deus Ex is and more.

I don't think you'll get much argument on that. Most people who like Deus Ex also enjoy System Shock 2 and vice versa.

Personally, I'm slightly more fond of Deus Ex because its setting better suits my tastes, and also because it doesn't have respawning enemies. But I have to say, the Deus Ex bad guys pale in comparison to the nightmare that is SHODAN.

really i thought shodan was sexy

RETIRED
This user is no longer active on VOGONS.

Reply 5525 of 6004, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently played through the three bonus missions of the original Splinter Cell that were added by official patch 1.3. Props to Ubisoft of old for giving away content for free. The Ubisoft of today would likely charge $5 per mission and require a permanent internet connection to play through them, despite this stuff being purely single-player.

Anyway, the missions are pretty decent for a freebie. They can be quite challenging, which makes them a good fit for Splinter Cell veterans. Plot wise, you end up going after the last remnants of the bad guys from the main game. This includes locating the hacker who was responsible for the IT attacks and infiltrating a stolen submarine.

There's about 2-3 hours of extra content here and it's pretty solid. It even features some new voice overs by the main cast, which is always appreciated. Good stuff.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5526 of 6004, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know why, but I've always had a bias against Deus Ex, even though I loved SS2. I own it and have played the first 15 minutes of the game several times. I think it probably has something to do with the Neo-esc protagonist's trenchcoat and shades even though he's running around at night. It screams "I'm so cool I favor form over function" which is a turn-off to me in real life. People who try to make a statement by wearing 'cool' clothing in completely inappropriate situations. Like wearing trenchcoats in 90 degree weather, dark shades at night, or a t-shirt with some attention-grabbing statement in full-on winter weather. Dude is freezing his ass off so he can make his statement.

I'm sure if I could get over that bias, I'd completely enjoy Deus Ex... 🤣

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5528 of 6004, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2023-11-29, 23:09:

I don't know why, but I've always had a bias against Deus Ex, even though I loved SS2. I own it and have played the first 15 minutes of the game several times. I think it probably has something to do with the Neo-esc protagonist's trenchcoat and shades even though he's running around at night.

If it's the trenchcoat and shades that bother you there's probably not much you can do (though didn't the game let you choose between a few faces and not all of them have shades, been a while?), but as a side note I've never been a huge fan of the first level. I actually shrugged the game off the first time I tried it, wondering why some people like this boring crap. Few years later after constantly seeing praise for the game I went back to it to see what on earth people were fussing about, powered through the first level and now the game is one of my all time favorites.

So unless you are sure it's the Matrix look that rubs you the wrong way I'd strongly recommend pushing through the beginning, the game gets so much better after that and it really does deserve all the praise.

I don't personally see much point comparing Deus Ex and System Shock 2, they definitely have their similarities but in the end are very different experiences and I love them both to bits.

Reply 5529 of 6004, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know why, but I've always had a bias against Deus Ex, even though I loved SS2. I own it and have played the first 15 minutes of the game several times. I think it probably has something to do with the Neo-esc protagonist's trenchcoat and shades even though he's running around at night. It screams "I'm so cool I favor form over function" which is a turn-off to me in real life. People who try to make a statement by wearing 'cool' clothing in completely inappropriate situations. Like wearing trenchcoats in 90 degree weather, dark shades at night, or a t-shirt with some attention-grabbing statement in full-on winter weather. Dude is freezing his ass off so he can make his statement.

I searched for a face texture mod and found this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/jfme … mization_guide/

Maybe that would work for you? Deus Ex has to be one of the jankiest games I've played, but it's still one of my all-time favorites. The writing is excellent and, despite it's age, it allows you to be more creative than most modern games.

Reply 5530 of 6004, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Beneath a Steel Sky looks interesting, giving it a try

Retro builds & sandbox
IBM XT 5160 | 286 | 386 | 486 | S4 SI5PI AIO & S4 Batman + P60 SX828
S8 & PPro 200 | SS7 FW 5VGF & Asus P5A & AOpen AX59PRO K6-III+ 550MHz
Asus K7M Athlon 1Ghz GDF | Abit SH6 Pentium III 1GHz SL4KL...

Reply 5531 of 6004, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmr_ wrote on 2023-11-30, 21:50:

Beneath a Steel Sky looks interesting, giving it a try

If you're into old school point and click adventures, it's one of the better ones. Really cool world they built too.

Reply 5532 of 6004, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of point and click adventures, do you guys still have the patience to play them without a walkthrough? I have to admit that I've lost the patience for them. As a kid, I spent hours just trying to figure out how to leave the garbage ship in Space Quest III. Today, I'd probably cheat after 15 minutes of getting nowhere.

Reply 5533 of 6004, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-12-01, 02:51:

Speaking of point and click adventures, do you guys still have the patience to play them without a walkthrough? I have to admit that I've lost the patience for them. As a kid, I spent hours just trying to figure out how to leave the garbage ship in Space Quest III. Today, I'd probably cheat after 15 minutes of getting nowhere.

It depends. If it's a game I've never played before, I'll give it a real shot without a walkthrough. But if I get stuck for more than a few hours, I don't shy away from looking up hints or walkthroughs.

If it's a game I have played before and I can't remember how to get through a particular part, I'll usually look up a walkthrough right away.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5534 of 6004, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is probably heresy, but I've always felt that Deus Ex is overrated. And especially these days with the evolution of immersive sim and open world games, it just feels pretty primitive, but not in a good nostalgic sort of way. Its dated Matrix-inspired 90s post-cyberpunk aesthetic doesn't help.

It does have a great soundtrack though...

But between System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, I'll take the former any day.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5535 of 6004, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still play a lot of them this way.. I am going to start Erica Reed or Thimbleweed Park next.

Reply 5536 of 6004, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-12-01, 05:53:

I still play a lot of them this way.. I am going to start Erica Reed or Thimbleweed Park next.

What about some of the older Sierra games? The more recent adventures games usually fairly straightforward, but they punished the player in the 80s. Those are the types where I won't even bother trying to figure out on my own. I get frustrated too easily now.

Reply 5538 of 6004, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-29, 18:43:

If you want to play it on a retro system, makes sure that your CPU is at least 1 GHz or faster. Some of the larger maps need a lot of processing power to run smoothly. The first level of the game (Liberty Island) is a good example of this.

Thanks for the tip. It will most likely be at least a Pentium 4, or a Core 2 Duo. Seems I can even get widescreen resolution support with something called Deus Exe.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5539 of 6004, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-12-01, 06:22:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-12-01, 05:53:

What about some of the older Sierra games? The more recent adventures games usually fairly straightforward, but they punished the player in the 80s. Those are the types where I won't even bother trying to figure out on my own. I get frustrated too easily now.

Some of them are outright impossible. Police Quest II is one of my fondest Sierra adventures for example, the writing is excellent and it made me really feel like a cop (I never managed to get into PQ1 because the graphics and driving gameplay was basically balls even by the time I got my Amiga) BUT there is, for example, a diving section in the game where short of being a certified SCUBA diver yourself you will never get through alive.. Sierra games, particularly the early Quest games, really embraced longevity through obscurity in some cases and I can't honestly say I've braved them without hints. To make matters worse, you can often stumble into unwinnable situations without even realizing it (I'm looking at you King's Quest 4.. I love you man, but seriously, FUCK YOU!). The only early Sierra games that I managed to beat by myself are the Leisure Suit Larry series 1-2-3 I believe.