What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1700 of 5932, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2020-01-10, 23:59:

I'm just about 100 hrs into Wizardry 7 and I think I'm about halfway through the game. 😵 This is a LONG game, good thing I like it as much as I do, but even still, I just came off of a 111 hr playthrough of Wizardry 6, and I imagine Wizardry 8, once I'm done with 7, will be another 80-100 hrs. I may be due for a break. I've got lots of FPS options to break up the monatony:
Doom3/Doom 2016, Portal 1/2, Stalker series, Bioshock series, Metro Last Light (I beat 2033), and Crysis are all on my short list. I'd love to play Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I'm going to wait for the next sale before I pick it up. Any of these should play great on my new GTX 1650 Super.

How strange >>> https://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_labyrinth_of_lost_souls

Not a fan of the anime look of it, but curious if you are going to take a stab at it.

Reply 1701 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2020-01-15, 19:01:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-01-10, 23:59:

I'm just about 100 hrs into Wizardry 7 and I think I'm about halfway through the game. 😵 This is a LONG game, good thing I like it as much as I do, but even still, I just came off of a 111 hr playthrough of Wizardry 6, and I imagine Wizardry 8, once I'm done with 7, will be another 80-100 hrs. I may be due for a break. I've got lots of FPS options to break up the monatony:
Doom3/Doom 2016, Portal 1/2, Stalker series, Bioshock series, Metro Last Light (I beat 2033), and Crysis are all on my short list. I'd love to play Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I'm going to wait for the next sale before I pick it up. Any of these should play great on my new GTX 1650 Super.

How strange >>> https://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_labyrinth_of_lost_souls

Not a fan of the anime look of it, but curious if you are going to take a stab at it.

The Wizardry series was incredibly popular in Japan (moreso than it ever was in the US), and when Sir-Tech went out of business, the IP was eventually purchased by a Japanese group. Apparently there are tons of Japanese-only Wizardry games and Labyrinth of Lost Souls is one of the few to be made available in America. Looks like it's a fairly old game too, originally released for Japanese PS3 in 2009, and only just now being ported to a Windows PC version. I'm not sure I could ever get past the anime look, but because you pointed it out, it's going on my wishlist. I may buy it on a steep discount at some point. I would think that since the Japanese were so into Wizardry, that they'd keep the same basic format alive, just flavored with their own culture. It might be similarly addictive if I can get past the look. Thanks for the heads up!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1705 of 5932, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I played a bit of Championship Manager 99/00 with my fav team (Vasco da Gama-BRA), I failed to reproduce the tactic I had created 20 years ago (and gave me very much success in this game), it was a tactic based on Brazil's 1994 World Cup squad, a classic 4-4-2. Actually, I didn't fail at all. The attack is amazing, the offside trap works amazingly well, but I can't defend in the last quarter when there are crosses over my area. So far 3 wins and 2 draws.

Today I will try to play a bit more when possible. I plan to be on IRC as well using my old windows VMs. But first, my work...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1706 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still grinding my way through Wizardry 7. 🤣. 117 hours in and I just finished the Dane tower (Dionysceus). My characters are up to level 15 with the exception of my Faerie Ninja who's got about 15,000 XP to go before she gets to L15. It does pay to transfer your party through these games as my characters are already mostly maxed out in their base stats. There's a few 15's, 16's and 17's but most of them are at 18 already. It helps that the best weapons at the end of Wiz6 are the best weapons in Wiz7 and they transfer over, so my guys came into Wiz7 already armed with the best weapons. They still have a ways to go before spell levels are maxed out, but their combat skills are top notch. Only area bosses are providing a real challenge at this stage. What keeps the game challenging is the limited stamina and spell points force a conservative combat strategy. The only way to replenish is either resting, which tends to invite surprise combat sessions where half your party is asleep, or finding a rare fountain that replenishes these stats. If you go all gangbusters with your most powerful spells, you'll quickly run out of spell points and be forced into hand-to-hand combat in places where spells like Silence, Dispel Undead, Psionic Blast, Fire Shield, etc would really level the playing field. That strategy is a big part of what makes this game so appealing.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1707 of 5932, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got The Witcher Enhanced edition from GOG and struggling with the controls, but I 'll get there. The cut scenes are cool
as well as the story. Playing it on my i3 setup no problem, gonna have to upgrade though if I want the latest Witcher game.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1708 of 5932, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first Witcher is not a very good game and overstays it's welcome. However seeing as how they gave us 2 great games after that it's worth experiencing.

Reply 1709 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I loved the first Witcher - great atmosphere. The running around got old eventually but that was late in the piece; I didn't finish it though I must admit. # 3 is a classic, but that's been well documented.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1711 of 5932, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not much gaming lately with the oldy but goody rig in my sig.... i've been using my more modern and powerful rig on a daily basis, and my old school favorites to date is DOOM ULTIMATE/DOOM2/FINAL DOOM using the GZDOOM Brutalv21 mod, much better eye candy graphics and hilarious game play shinanagins throughout.

Modern Rig Specs - i7 6700k / ga z170 hd3 / gskill 16gb 2400mhz ddr4 / zotac gtx 1080 mini / crucial 512gb m550 / corsair tx750 / Win7 Ultimate x64

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 1712 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First Witcher has possibly the worst controls in a 3rd person RPG game I ever played. I stopped playingafter the first combat encounter.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1713 of 5932, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-01-23, 02:55:

Bloodstained

it's very fun and i love it

Man, I hope you found the "Voice Changer" item in that. It makes the cutscene dialogue fantastic.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1714 of 5932, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-23, 06:39:

First Witcher has possibly the worst controls in a 3rd person RPG game I ever played. I stopped playingafter the first combat encounter.

I haven't played any of the Witcher games but I'm curious now: have you played Gothic 1? That had pretty funky controls afair.

Reply 1715 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote on 2020-01-23, 09:25:

I haven't played any of the Witcher games but I'm curious now: have you played Gothic 1? That had pretty funky controls afair.

No I haven’t played any of the Gothic games at all..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1716 of 5932, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-23, 15:07:
henryVK wrote on 2020-01-23, 09:25:

No I haven’t played any of the Gothic games at all..

If you don't have time for the lot of them and you had to choose one >>> Gothic 2.

Reply 1717 of 5932, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same (very nice) combat control as Summoner.

Reply 1718 of 5932, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Since I'm currently collecting Dark Sun miniatures, I'm also playing Dark Sun Shattered Lands again, as I do every year. But also hopefully finally getting around to finishing Dark Forces. I love Jedi Knight and bought it when it was released, but somehow I missed Dark Forces back then.

Reply 1719 of 5932, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Captain Catnip wrote on 2020-01-24, 05:39:

Since I'm currently collecting Dark Sun miniatures, I'm also playing Dark Sun Shattered Lands again, as I do every year. But also hopefully finally getting around to finishing Dark Forces. I love Jedi Knight and bought it when it was released, but somehow I missed Dark Forces back then.

Isn't the second Dark Sun pretty buggy? How do you deal with that, or is there a patch or something?

I really liked the first one but reading about the second put me off.