What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2820 of 5932, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Restarted Monkey Island 2.
Using my old 3.5" floppy disks. Annoying thing is the dial. Was boring 30 years ago and still today... 😀 Some things never end 😀:)

I don't like the new restyled graphics.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2821 of 5932, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-03-09, 11:39:

Restarted Monkey Island 2.
Using my old 3.5" floppy disks. Annoying thing is the dial. Was boring 30 years ago and still today... 😀 Some things never end 😀:)

I don't like the new restyled graphics.

The thing I like about the remakes is, with the push of a single key, you can swap back to the original graphics and sound. You do lose the surprisingly good voice acting they added, but it's a tradeoff. Though there is a mod for the first one (I believe it's called "Ultimate Talkie Edition") that lets you play it with the original graphics but also the new voice acting and extra sound effects, and last I checked they were working on doing the same thing for the second.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 2822 of 5932, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been 'playing' some Skyrim again, but first time I played the special edition. I typed it as 'playing' because my playthrough is also doubling as a debug run to see if my mods (which I'm in the process of porting over from Skyrim LE) are working properly.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2823 of 5932, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

currently some zdoom on an old 32 bit intel mac ... prboom on retropie and gzdoom on a laptop

while testing various selfmade mods

currently doing 3d models for a gzdoom mod

from time to time also testing some unreleased personal mods for oblivion

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 2824 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2021-03-06, 15:50:

Doom 3 is an artistic masterpiece and I guarantee you a lot of folks don't agree with me.

Whenever a lot of folks agree on something, they are almost always wrong. This one is no exception.

You sir, have taste.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2825 of 5932, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With Doom 3, Carmack was all about bringing the next generation of lighting improvements, to take the envisioned game's immersion to all-new levels not yet achieved anywhere else. An attitude seen many year earlier with Quake II. In both cases, he absolutely succeeded. Back at the time of original release, the lighting tech was a real shock to the system. I haven't played Doom 3 since those original years, but I imagine that lighting tech still stands quite strongly.

I've just got myself a new (old) console so I'm in the midst of testing games with that, along with some NFS2SE on my 3dfx'd K6/2 (playing along with the OCAU dudes), and now up to the final few levels of The Lost Vikings also on the K6/2. I'm not a very skilled gamer - I simply don't dedicate enough time to Actually Playing - so the difficulty is reaching the stage where it's almost not fun any more, and I potentially may not finish. Which is not a concern of mine, I have no ego when it comes to completing games.

Reply 2826 of 5932, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-03-09, 22:43:

With Doom 3, Carmack was all about bringing the next generation of lighting improvements, to take the envisioned game's immersion to all-new levels not yet achieved anywhere else. An attitude seen many year earlier with Quake II. In both cases, he absolutely succeeded. Back at the time of original release, the lighting tech was a real shock to the system. I haven't played Doom 3 since those original years, but I imagine that lighting tech still stands quite strongly.

I've just got myself a new (old) console so I'm in the midst of testing games with that, along with some NFS2SE on my 3dfx'd K6/2 (playing along with the OCAU dudes), and now up to the final few levels of The Lost Vikings also on the K6/2. I'm not a very skilled gamer - I simply don't dedicate enough time to Actually Playing - so the difficulty is reaching the stage where it's almost not fun any more, and I potentially may not finish. Which is not a concern of mine, I have no ego when it comes to completing games.

That is the kicker. As much difficulty as I'm having with the toll the horror elements of Doom 3 have on me, the unified lighting model is striking to this day. Just about no other game looks that way. And on a CRT with proper black levels, it's just perfect. Between Doom 3 and assorts ray tracing games with global illumination schemes, I have to come to fully embrace my hate of ambient lighting in the typical rasterized lighting model.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2827 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ambient lighting and particularly baked in lightmaps are TERRIBLE representation of reality more often than not.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2828 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-03-09, 21:48:
liqmat wrote on 2021-03-06, 15:50:

Doom 3 is an artistic masterpiece and I guarantee you a lot of folks don't agree with me.

Whenever a lot of folks agree on something, they are almost always wrong. This one is no exception.

🤣. I believe a lot of contrarians feel similarly. Sometimes people just have different opinions about what they like and don't like.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2830 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've made it to the Monorail Skybridge in Doom 3. Maybe almost halfway through the game? I've got 9.3 hours into it. So if I am halfway through, this could end up being ~20 hrs, which is what I was hoping for.

Despite my initial concerns about continuing the game, I'm enjoying it enough now that I'm getting used to it, that it looks like I'll push through to the end. The email and audio logs are filling in just enough story to keep it interesting. Still, I'd probably rate this on the lower end compared to some other favorite shooters.

Reply 2831 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I must admit that I never finished DOOM3 - I got to the final boss fight and just couldn't be bothered. It was fun up until that point so why ruin it with boss frustration? I did the same thing with HL1, life was too short for Xen!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2832 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing Sam&Max Hit the Road again on my DOS PC, connected to a midi stack using a MusicQuest clone.

Was experiencing constant hanging notes, no matter which midi device I used.

So I switch to using Munt/MidiPlayer on a win7 box (still being output from the same DOS PC and into the Win7 box using a USB2midi adapter).

So far no hanging notes. I think it might be less to do with Munt as much as the awesome FalconSoft midi player which might be doing a better job of detecting note off commands, but not sure.

Reply 2833 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try using softMPU with the MusicQuest clone? Doing that sorted out an issue I had with a real MusicQuest card and Wing Commander - just a thought!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2834 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2021-03-14, 05:06:

Did you try using softMPU with the MusicQuest clone? Doing that sorted out an issue I had with a real MusicQuest card and Wing Commander - just a thought!

That's a good idea, I'll give it a try, Cheers!

Reply 2835 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2021-03-14, 06:30:
badmojo wrote on 2021-03-14, 05:06:

That's a good idea, I'll give it a try, Cheers!

Hmm seems that the issue can still occur. In fact, I am now thinking the GM score is borked - the only one that works without stuck background notes in MT32. Oh well, I usually prefer the MT32 track if available, I guess this is what it will be.

Reply 2836 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2021-03-13, 23:51:

I must admit that I never finished DOOM3 - I got to the final boss fight and just couldn't be bothered. It was fun up until that point so why ruin it with boss frustration? I did the same thing with HL1, life was too short for Xen!

I rage quit Duke3D on the final boss of Episode 1. It actually soured the whole game for me, to get so close and not finish. The only other game that's happened on with me is Wing Commander: Privateer.

Reply 2837 of 5932, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Growing up with arcade games and not much money, trained me from a young age to mentally accept not-completing-games as the norm.

The luxury of kids having every-game-in-the-world, at home, with infinite credits to play with, is a privilege which began shortly after my childhood ended. 😒

(not that we suffered - we had plenty!)

Reply 2839 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-14, 10:52:

The final boss of Episode 1 is crazy easy. I don't get it ?

I don't know, I watched YT videos of people beating it, and I just couldn't do it. 🤷