Reply 1260 of 5932, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
badmojo wrote:

System Shock is one of those games that I really like the idea of, but I don't have the nostalgic attachment required to make me look past its short comings. I don't know how I missed it on release - probably something to do with the number of floppies the first release came on; almost impossible to pirate that many without at least one disk dieing on the way home 😵

Maybe it was the nostalgic attachment then, but I had a blast playing this to completion a couple of years ago on my retro DOS PC. I'm considering playing through it again (the Enhanced Edition with mouselook and other control improvements)!

,,,and they just released an update for 4K widescreen recently.

More than a 4K widescreen update, they've updated it to an entirely new engine. Lots of other new stuff too, with the risk of some new bugs and some things being a bit off. I like it so far, though I've only gotten to level 2.

Other than that I'm playing 428 Shibuya Scramble and Baldur's Gate II.

Reply 1261 of 5932, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am playing Call of Duty, and then will move onto United Offencive. I'm playing on my XP pc but feel I should get a proper audigy sound card to make the most of it.

Then I am thinking of doing a "tour" of first person shooters (or perhaps just notable games in general) from the late 80s onwards as a little project. Maybe review them to see if they stand up without any nostalgia.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1262 of 5932, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

More than a 4K widescreen update, they've updated it to an entirely new engine. Lots of other new stuff too, with the risk of some new bugs and some things being a bit off. I like it so far, though I've only gotten to level 2.

Other than that I'm playing 428 Shibuya Scramble and Baldur's Gate II.

What I should have said is I am pleased with this one particular feature in the update. It's a great update overall with many changes.

Reply 1263 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do like a good tennis game and have become quite obsessed with a recent pickup - Sampras Extreme Tennis for the PS1. Code Masters really stripped this game back to the bare essentials but it's such a good sim - beautiful controls, great options around the camera angle, sparingly used but spot on sound FX - I'm loving it. I'm coming up against some pretty stiff competition now but I don't feel like I'm being cheated when I lose - always a good sign with a sports sim.

I've finally gotten serious about the audio hardware I use for my old consoles / C64 - the Yamaha amp and Dali speakers are a significant improvement over the mono speaker in the Trinitron 😀

P1030968_zpshztcmpm6.jpg

P1030974_zpsdcvlm9bg.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1264 of 5932, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been playing Two Point Hospital. I was a big fan of Theme Hospital, and TPH is a worthy successor. It definitely captures the 'feel' of Theme Hospital while improving on the formula- and no more fiddling with heater power each month!

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1265 of 5932, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been playing a little bit of Command and Conquer Generals, Toy Story 2 Action Game (Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue), Black Hawk Down (multiplayer still works and I still know my NovaWorld account), Pac-Guy (spin-off of Pac-Man where you shoot the baddies), and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 on my Ultimate Windows 98SE machine (Sempron 2200+, will upgrade to an Athlon XP 2600+ or higher).

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-09-17, 19:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1266 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow Sampras Extreme Tennis really angries up my blood now that I've progressed to the stronger competition - I've had a couple of good old fashioned meltdowns. So far I've managed not to extract my fury on my PS1 controller, but the filing cabinet that sits near by has a couple of new dents in it.

It's so immature of me! I hope my kids do see!

Reply 1267 of 5932, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game I played most recently was Super Lucky’s Tale, which I just jumped back into and cleared a few levels. I also partook of the useless outfit customization, which you have to unlock by clearing parts of the game, then buying with the in-game currency you collect throughout the levels. Thankfully, I don’t think they ever made it possible to buy in-game coins with real money.

Reply 1269 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Witcher 1 is a classic, and 3 is a work of art. 2 made me rage quit after an hour and I've never gone back, I really should give it another chance one day.

Reply 1270 of 5932, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just took the dust off of "Battlefield 3" and 4. Great FPS, much better than the usual COD crap. And now my hardware is much more powerful than they need to run smoothly.

And "Gunship 2000". Seriously. I played the hell out of the original back in the 90s and had it in my harddrive for ages, but now I've got the expanded edition with the Philippines and Antarctica scenarios. If anything, MobyGames seems to appreciate the screenshots I keep sending them. For now, maybe next time they'll kick me out for being such a pain in the ass.

Reply 1271 of 5932, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Maybe it was the nostalgic attachment then, but I had a blast playing this to completion a couple of years ago on my retro DOS PC. I'm considering playing through it again (the Enhanced Edition with mouselook and other control improvements)!

,,,and they just released an update for 4K widescreen recently.[/quote]

Other than that I'm playing 428 Shibuya Scramble and Baldur's Gate II.[/quote]

It's a real Windows based source port (from the original source code that's been updated to include things like 3D hardware support), and it did ship with some bugs, but a fixed version is now on Steam and is expected soon for gog.com, too. The source port has replaced the version you used to get in the System Shock: Enhanced Edition download, which was the DOS version made to run in Windows by using a wrapper, which was good but of course a source port avoids such potentially troublesome hacks and kludges.

Reply 1272 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had to ban myself from Sampras Extreme Tennis, it was causing too many man-tantrums. The competition was becoming super human in their ability to do diving returns and hit the corners with epic power shots that I can't do.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tennis game? I have the following hardware available to play any suggestions:

C64
NES
SMS
SMD
PS1
Xbox 360
PS4
DOS PCs
Win9X PCs
XP PCs

Reply 1273 of 5932, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

I just took the dust off of "Battlefield 3" and 4. Great FPS, much better than the usual COD crap. And now my hardware is much more powerful than they need to run smoothly.

And "Gunship 2000". Seriously. I played the hell out of the original back in the 90s and had it in my harddrive for ages, but now I've got the expanded edition with the Philippines and Antarctica scenarios. If anything, MobyGames seems to appreciate the screenshots I keep sending them. For now, maybe next time they'll kick me out for being such a pain in the ass.

What's you Soldier ID? Shall we play some matches? 😎

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 1274 of 5932, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I said I wasn't going to do it.
I said I don't have time to dig into another gigantic epic.
I said I have a backlog of games to play a mile long.
I said I have too much work to do.

lm2title.jpg
Filename
lm2title.jpg
File size
530.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
lm2.jpg
Filename
lm2.jpg
File size
536.21 KiB
Views
File license

I did it.

First impressions: this looks GOOD so far. The music is awesome. The pixel graphics are crisp & full of character. The writing and humor is on-point. Navigating around the MENUS and interface is really awkward for some inexplicable reason, but the actual game controls are tight and respond well. It's full of "fuck you" traps and troll puzzles, but so was the first game so I was expecting it, and the save/warping system is at least fairly forgiving. It hasn't gotten too hard for me yet, but I'm "only" about a hundred minutes in, so we'll see how that goes.

I'll update here as I descent deeper into the ruins.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1275 of 5932, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slowly working through Touhou 6 on Lunatic. Got over half of the game down pat, just gotta get the last bits done and I can finally clear it.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 1276 of 5932, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to finish Shovel Knight (the original campaign) before going on a deep dig (hah!) into La-Mulana 2. Yes, I bought this game in 2016, loved it to death, played 85% of the way through it and then never beat it. I suck. 😜

So I dusted off my old save and found I had four stages to go - two regular ones and two bonus stages. Well, I beat the bonus stages (NOT EASY), got the final upgrades & the "decked out" achievement, found two more music sheets (36/43 so far, and I think I've cleared them all out from the earlier maps), and am sitting at the entrance to the penultimate stage. Will let you guys know how the next two go!

Screenshot from 2018-09-30 12-47-27.png
Filename
Screenshot from 2018-09-30 12-47-27.png
File size
195.63 KiB
Views
File license

Incidentally I said in Laptop Gaming the Hipster Way that this game runs with no slowdown on a Pentium III. As it turns out, I was talking out my ass and there's a lot of slowdown. Fortunately, it ends up being a smooth & playable sort of slow-mo mode and actually makes the game tons easier for a fat-fingered button masher like me. I don't think there's any way I would have gotten through Frigid Flight at full speed.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1277 of 5932, by Madc0w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing through quake for the first time. Wasn't a huge pc gamer as a kid, so I'm going through all the "classics". Loving the level design and music, the game itself is very solid and the controls are fairly tight.

Reply 1278 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Madc0w wrote:

I'm playing through quake for the first time. Wasn't a huge pc gamer as a kid, so I'm going through all the "classics". Loving the level design and music, the game itself is very solid and the controls are fairly tight.

Time for some quakeworld then.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1279 of 5932, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tennis game? I have the following hardware available to play any suggestions:

Have you tried "Pro Tennis Tour" (which was also called "Great Courts" in some countries) - nice tennis game from the XT/286/EGA era. I used to play it at the time but never got very good at it.

Otherwise I used to enjoy "Mario Power Tennis" on Gamecube, and I think I also played "Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour" on SNES at a friends place... but I'm not sure you have any of these systems.

Hard Disk Sounds