Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1240 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that I just finished Crusader: No Regret, I started playing Anvil of Dawn again (I hadn't played it since June 10th). I haven't decided yet if I'll stick with AoD to the end, or jump into Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. Maybe I'll try to play both, but I've only got 5-10 hrs a week of available gameplay, so not sure yet how I'll proceed.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1241 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, how did you end up killing Draygan in No Regret? I hope that boss fight wasn't too difficult to beat.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1242 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Hey, how did you end up killing Draygan in No Regret? I hope that boss fight wasn't too difficult to beat.

I was on an easier skill level, so it wasn't too bad. He kicked my butt on the first try, but the next try I just rolled left and right and fired the AR-7 repeatedly and he was a goner before I knew it. From there, the countdown was tight, I just ran past everyone and everything and barely got in the tram before the 5 minute timer expired.

Reply 1243 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's some pretty goofy ways to getting rid of him, should check it out on Youtube someday, haha.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1244 of 5847, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Played some Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Command and Conquer Generals + Zero:Hour, and Breakout (the 3D version). The Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Command and Conquer Generals + Zero:Hour games need a better GPU since the GeForce2 MX400 doesn't have enough horsepower. Haven't played those games in years.

Also played some Risk II on my Ultimate Windows 98SE machine (Socket 754, 256MB RAM, 60GB HDD, DVD Drive, CD Burner, 3.5" Floppy drive, SB Live! Platinum 5.1 w/ the Drive IR GeForce2 MX400, and VooDoo2 (FastVooDoo 4.6))

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1245 of 5847, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing Morrowind GOTY on chipped XBOX Classic, I'm already at 20lvl with my dunmer assassin. Caldera's richest scamp Creeper helps to gain big money for the valuable stuff. Never been in touch with Tribunal and Bloodmoon sections yet, but loving this title like the 1st time with my old PC, and mates... game engine is really heavy and maybe... not optimized, I can remember. Like I can remember too me putting together compatible and enhancing mods, leaving the game balanced, fun is all in that. Nice the mods like Dracandro's Voice, enhancing gameplay in various factions and their relative leveling.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1246 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spend more time fiddling around with mods than playing games lately it seems; I’m usually totally frazzled by my 10PM free-time time these days.

I had so much fun messing with Oblivion mods that I decided to have a crack at perking up Morrowind - I find the process of finding, testing, and documenting the install process quite cathartic for some reason, and I’m constantly amazed at the work modders put in.

There are few stability / bug fix patches that I started with, and the UI obviously needed some modernising. I went with some subtle gameplay fixes (around levelling, run speed, etc) and half a dozen texture / mesh replacements. The biggest improvement to the look of the game is one of the easiest – MGE XE is a magical piece of software that does all sorts of things; FOV fix, shaders, distant land, AA, etc. Modding this game is way easier than it used to be.

After a few hours of messing around this game can look shockingly pretty:

Morrowind%202018-08-23%2023.10.10.748_zps1ujxjmdx.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1247 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still chugging along in Descent 2...

Screenshot_2018-08-24_03-25-00.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_2018-08-24_03-25-00.jpg
File size
26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1248 of 5847, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Played some Toy Story 2: Action Game (aka, Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue) on my Windows 98SE machine (kinda sluggish since I have the video resolution set to 1024x768, but, it's pretty steady). I now have 3 copies of the game:

1) Nintendo 64 (found the cartridge in my garage 2 years ago when I was cleaning it out)
2) Sony PSP (PSOne classic via the Sony Store)
3) PC

Now I need to find an actual copy for the PlayStation 1 I have and setup the PC game's controller to use the joystick instead of the keyboard.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1249 of 5847, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shadow Warrior 2

Bought it when it came out on GOG but wasn't in the mood to play it. Played for a couple of hours yesterday and it's pretty fun.

Runs great at full details @ 2560x1440. No crashes.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1250 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anvil of Dawn on my Pentium DOS PC. I'm in the underwater labyrinth and having a blast.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood on my modern PC. I'm enjoying it so far, nearing the end of the 1st chapter.

Reply 1251 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now in the Underground City on Anvil of Dawn and just finished Chapter 4 on Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. Half-way through. Good game, though it gets poor reviews. The New Order will be next, which gets much better reviews.

Reply 1252 of 5847, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back to grinding Duke Nukum, on the last level of Moon base. Can't say I love the game, but it's alright if you keep it to just a few levels per week. Logitech gamepad to the rescue. PC speaker sounds nice, it okay to take a break from SB16. Don't like platformers all that much, but I'm going for Duke 3D through 1 and 2.

Wanted something more engaging as well, so burned System Shock (Enhanced). Never played the 1st before. I like some things about it, and hate just as much. Not sure if I'll stick with it, at the very least I'd like to do something about controls.

Reply 1253 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
0kool wrote:

Wanted something more engaging as well, so burned System Shock (Enhanced). Never played the 1st before. I like some things about it, and hate just as much. Not sure if I'll stick with it, at the very least I'd like to do something about controls.

System Shock is one of those games that I really like the idea of, but I don't have the nostalgic attachment required to make me look past its short comings. I don't know how I missed it on release - probably something to do with the number of floppies the first release came on; almost impossible to pirate that many without at least one disk dieing on the way home 😵

I'm messing around with Oblivion and some old tennis games on my SMD / PS1. I'm generally too tired for any serious gaming ATM.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1254 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
0kool wrote:

System Shock is one of those games that I really like the idea of, but I don't have the nostalgic attachment required to make me look past its short comings. I don't know how I missed it on release - probably something to do with the number of floppies the first release came on; almost impossible to pirate that many without at least one disk dieing on the way home 😵

I'm messing around with Oblivion and some old tennis games on my SMD / PS1. I'm generally too tired for any serious gaming ATM.

I purchased the first release and it was a great game to demo your cutting edge AWE32 at the time. I just never could get through the entire game, even back then.

Reply 1255 of 5847, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been exploring a "Dead" game off Steam over the last couple days. It's the uninspiringly-named Lawbreakers, by a now-defunct company founded by Cliff Bleszinski and Arjan Brussee, two names I think a lot of you will recognize. It's an online-only arena shooter with no private server support at all, and its servers are scheduled to shut down on the 14th (i.e. four days from now.) You can download it for free right now, but this is the end.

law1.jpg
Filename
law1.jpg
File size
490.57 KiB
Views
File license

The actual gameplay isn't anything original but there's a ton of cool content in here. The maps are small but gorgeous & the art style and direction works pretty well throughout. There's some great music in here too. It reminds me a lot of later Unreal Tournament games like UT2004. It even runs "ok" in 720p/high detail on my low-spec games PC (C2Q + GTX750Ti) despite me only having 3 out of the recommended 6 gigs of RAM. I could have some fun with this.

law2.jpg
Filename
law2.jpg
File size
295.6 KiB
Views
File license

I've been trying to figure out if there's even gonna be a way to wander around the empty maps once the servers go down. Doesn't look like it, unfortunately.

law3.jpg
Filename
law3.jpg
File size
880.22 KiB
Views
File license

There's an indicator on the menu screen of how many other players are online. In the ~2.5 hours I was playing around hosting my own games last night, that number never budged from zero. Wow.

Incidentally the story of the studio that put this out, Boss Key Productions, reminds me a lot of one I posted about earlier, Rocket Science Games. Started by some huge-name industry veterans with a ton of money, fanfare, and talent, but for whatever reason they got the hype formula wrong & folded not long after their first game.

It looks like they put a ton of effort into this and really wanted to make something awesome, but it never 'took' and now it's gonna die. If they'd added even the most basic botmatch features it'd be a great game to pop into for a quick blast-em-up, or even get some LAN matches going. But no, this one is locked to servers that are going down forever and this game tanked so badly it apparently took the company down with it. Would be nice if future devs learn something from that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1256 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
0kool wrote:

Maybe it was the nostalgic attachment then, but I had a blast playing this to completion a couple of years ago on my retro DOS PC. I'm considering playing through it again (the Enhanced Edition with mouselook and other control improvements)!

Reply 1257 of 5847, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NFL Blitz 2000 - because I love roughing the passer!!!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1259 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
badmojo wrote:
0kool wrote:

Maybe it was the nostalgic attachment then, but I had a blast playing this to completion a couple of years ago on my retro DOS PC. I'm considering playing through it again (the Enhanced Edition with mouselook and other control improvements)!

,,,and they just released an update for 4K widescreen recently.