What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1060 of 5848, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

What do you have in your P3 system and what res are you playing at?

933Mhz, 512MB, GF3 Ti200 at 1024x768. Framerate is averaging about 50ish? I've seen it get down <30 occasionally, but typically it's 50 or higher. It's actually running better than I would've thought. Maybe it's the 133Mhz FSB?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1061 of 5848, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
4dbmcga_049.png
Filename
4dbmcga_049.png
File size
2.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Still very playable today.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1063 of 5848, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been wanting to build a Windows XP machine to play Neverwinter Nights lately, but all of my Pentium 4 motherboards are refusing to boot. I figured I'd upgrade my MAME machine hardware to allow a 64-bit OS which would free up it's Duron 1300 for this.

Upgraded the CPU to an Athlon 1800+, swapped the SDRAM for 512Mb DDR400 (the MSI KM2M combo board has both) and a GeForce 2 MX400 vid card. The MX400 ran NWN at about 1 FPS, so swapped that out for my GeForce 6600 GT which is performing nicely.

I vaguely remember playing NWN many years ago, but I do remember I didn't finish it so I'll try and do that this time around and hopefully the expansion packs Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. I'm liking it very much so far, here's my character ->

NWN0000.jpg
Filename
NWN0000.jpg
File size
178.1 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1064 of 5848, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying out the Freedom Planet 2 demo. Holy crap are the art and music in this one good. I'm not particularly good at this type of game but had no trouble getting around the first map & beating the demo boss. Beautiful to hear & look at, and loads of fun to play, definite win in my book. This is obviously a labor of love from the creators. I wish all games had this much care put into them.

fp2demo1.jpg
Filename
fp2demo1.jpg
File size
332.99 KiB
Views
File license
fp2demo2.jpg
Filename
fp2demo2.jpg
File size
423.05 KiB
Views
File license

My only complaint is it doesn't support 1600x1200 so I have to play it in a "720p" window, but hey, it's still a demo. Go check it out! (The page says "Windows demo" but there's a Mac version too.)

I'm gonna have to grab the original now which is half-off on Steam. Ah well, I wanted to anyway 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1065 of 5848, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK I'm officially enjoying ELEX now thanks to the latest patch and persisting with the combat / story line long enough to find the diamonds in the rough. Exploration is great and questing is the name of the game here - grinding away in the wilderness doesn't really pay with regards to XP / character progression. There are some memorable NPC's and as always the verticality of Pirahna Bytes' world is a little bit magical, but for the first time you can easily explore the ups and the downs thanks to the jet pack, which was a stroke of genius.

All that said I'm still hoping that their next game is Gothic 5 (with a jet pack).

ELEX_2017-12-27_20-16-38.jpg

ELEX_2017-12-21_19-53-13.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1066 of 5848, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really retrogaming but I'm having a lot of fun with XCOM 2 now that I've let go of LW2 and started a vanilla Commander Ironman campaign.

LW2 is simply put masochistic.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1067 of 5848, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@badmojo - That jetpack feature is pretty impressive!
@appiah4 - are you still playing Ravenloft too?

I'm getting ready to explore a dungeon in Eschalon: Book I. Tangletree Ossuary, to be exact. The entrance is up ahead:

2017-12-28 05_56_59-Eschalon_ Book I.jpg
Filename
2017-12-28 05_56_59-Eschalon_ Book I.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

I decided to play the game in a window since I got my 1680x1050 monitor. About the only weakness of this game is the 800x600 maximum res (either windowed or stretched to full screen). But considering it is free, I'm not complaining too much. Just curious why the devs decided to do this on a 2007 game. Maybe to keep in line with the rest of the game's "old school" feel. 🤣

Also, since I finished Privateer and RtCW, I started playing a new secondary game: Crusader: No Remorse.

Reply 1068 of 5848, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I stopped playing Stone Prophet at around the 2-3 hours mark, decided to play Strahd's Possession first. Haven't started that yet though it's on top of my retrogaming backlog for 2018.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1069 of 5848, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

I'm gonna have to grab the original now which is half-off on Steam. Ah well, I wanted to anyway 😜

Predictably, I am now playing Freedom Planet 1. I've known about it for a while but never got around to really trying it out. Well, holy shit what was I doing? I would rank this right up there with Shovel Knight as one of the best damn platformers I've ever played. The controls are super tight, the maps are huge and varied, the music and artwork are gorgeous, and yes, it runs happily in fullscreen with even-pixel scaling on my 1600x1200 monitor. Every new area finds a way to blow me away.

fp5.png
Filename
fp5.png
File size
88.1 KiB
Views
File license

I did have to adjust my play style a bit, I tend to explore every corner of a map and find all the secrets before moving on, but if you do that with this one you're sapping the fun out of it. It's all about speed and fluidity. That said I can still spend 25 minutes at a time careening around its wildly sprawling maps trying to see everything they have to offer.

fp4.png
Filename
fp4.png
File size
107.81 KiB
Views
File license
fp3.png
Filename
fp3.png
File size
96.88 KiB
Views
File license
fp2.png
Filename
fp2.png
File size
85.76 KiB
Views
File license

Sure, it has some faults - the writing and cutscenes are, erm... Saturday-morning cartoon, let's leave it at that 😜 - but once you get into the game you don't care. If you looked at this and dismissed it as a Sonic clone, look again - fuck Sonic, this does literally everything better.

freedom.gif
Filename
freedom.gif
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license

^^ you might wanna maximize that, the forum software does some messed up things with animated gifs. Or maybe you don't.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1070 of 5848, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

^^ you might wanna maximize that, the forum software does some messed up things with animated gifs. Or maybe you don't.

That's some serious imagetragick going on there...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1071 of 5848, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Divinity II. So far having a heck of a lot of fun with it. So many ways to do things and handle situations! My single biggest recommendation for this game is to take the Pet Pal perk. Opens up all sorts of craziness and dialogues.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1072 of 5848, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: I like this game & its soundtrack so much I'm going to play AT LEAST two of its tracks at my NYE show coming up (there's also stuff from Shovel Knight & Ultionus in there.) No, it's not a gamer/"nerd" audience. I don't even care.

fpdance2.gif
Filename
fpdance2.gif
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license

^^ I am expecting this to happen.

Reply 1073 of 5848, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel really guilty seeing these cute animations...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1074 of 5848, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A mini review of Eschalon: Book I which I've been playing for a couple of weeks now:

Overall, it seems like a VERY good choice for time-strapped working adults. It is short for an RPG: roughly 20-30 hours. From a story and exploration standpoint, it feels a lot like Baldur's Gate. Very engaging and and you get that "I just want to see what's around this corner before I stop" compulsion. Lots of quests, both main and side, and similar to Realms of Arkania, the bulk of your XP comes from completing quests. Combat (and really, the entire game!) is turn-based, but very simple. Basically you take turns hitting, no time passes if you're not moving, fighting, or casting. As for strategy, there's not a ton, but you can lure enemies to doorways to keep them from surrounding you and in dungeons and other dark areas, you can put your torch out and use a Cat's Eye spell/potion to give yourself an advantage in combat (you can see them but they can't see you). There are a handful of "quick travel" locations around the game world and once you encounter them, they get added to your list. Then to return to one, just click it. This reduces the time spent manually walking around. There's some neat concepts, like skills. The better your cartography skill, the more detailed your automap fills in as you explore. Higher Mercantile skill gets you better deals when buying and selling. You can gain skills in a couple of different ways: at a level-up you can spend all 3 of your precious skill points in gaining a new skill (once you have a skill, you can increase it for only 1 skill point); or you can find or buy books that teach you skills. Obviously, this is the better way to go, but the books are scarce. Many of the treasure caches are random, so you can quick save before opening, then reload til you get an item you really want. This is a good way to make money too. Let's say you already have a Cloak of the Shadow (worth 800gold), you can reload til you get another one, then sell it at a merchant. As for professions, I chose a Virtuous Fighter, but you can go various mage, thief and fighter routes. I'm not familiar with the magic system (Virtuous Fighters do get a basic "Bless" spell, but that's all I've used). But there is a strong alchemy portion to the game. You can find our buy reagents and reactants. Then find spell recipes and gain the appropriate alchemy skills and you can mix your own potions. I've pretty much stuck to low level basic potions like heals, cure poison, cure diseases, Cat's Eye and Keensight (temporarily improves "to hit" score). The musical score is incredible and never gets old. On the downside, for some reason this 2007 game is limited to a maximum of 800x600 resolution. You can either play in a window or full screen. Full Screen will stretch the display if your monitor is not 4:3. The game is very low resource (using less than 250MB of RAM minimized on my system right now) and graphics are at about Baldur's Gate level or maybe a hair better. In other words, more than good enough. This is a single character game and no NPCs ever join you. The Quest Journal is very useful! Tells you exactly what your open quests are in detail, yet stays concise. The pacing of the game is well-done. There haven't been many areas I've wandered into yet that were too hard, but if it does happen, it's easy to back out and go solve a side quest or two before gaining levels and coming back. When you do level up, you get 3 attribute points to distribute and 3 skill points. Pretty simple. From what I understand, it's much better in this game to build up specific skills than to make a "well-rounded" character. So I put most of my fighter's attribute points in Strength and Endurance, with a little bit in Dexterity and Speed. You often find magical items such as Rings and Amulets that will boost your attributes and/or skills, so you can use these in place of level-up points. That's about all I can think of. Oh, this game is free forever. You can get it at GOG. The developers are still selling Book II and Book III, but decided to make the first one free.

Reply 1075 of 5848, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
The attachment 4dbmcga_049.png is no longer available

Still very playable today.

4D sports boxing! Such an amazing game! 🤣

Lately I've been going through Starcraft II again, single player all campagins. Been hitting a bit of multiplayer too, since it went F2P the servers are full again and theres always a short wait time for a 4v4, but 80% of the players are (predictably) noobs. Dunno if thats fun or .... yeah it's fun!

Retro wise I've been playing Age of Mythology (extended edition) in skirmish mostly, and just started a game of Civ 2 Advanced.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
342.31 KiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
207.28 KiB
Views
File license
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
471.42 KiB
Views
File license

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 1077 of 5848, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm playing CD version of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - little dark gem. Probably, after finishing the game I'll read the original book by Harlan Ellison.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1078 of 5848, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still working on Eschalon: Book I on my XP machine. It feels like I'm more than halfway through. Very good RPG, much better than I expected based on reviews. Also, on my Pentium DOS PC I'm slowly working through Crusader: No Remorse, and on my Pentium II Win98SE machine I'm playing Quake II on V2 SLI. 😎 Hoping to finish all three at about the same time.

Reply 1079 of 5848, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS), Summon Night EX-Thesis (PS2), and Armored Core 4 (360) are the games I'm focused on at the moment. Playing Ocarina on the go, and it's a really enjoyable game even though I tend to get lost a lot (my navigational skills with these types of games aren't amazing).
Summon Night is a really enjoyable action RPG, though it never got localized so I have to use google translate to read the dialogue. It's incredibly rough but I can get the general gist of what's going on, and the focus is split between gameplay and story so it's not a big deal.
Armored Core 4 however, DID get localized and it's one of the best games I've played on the 360. Great graphics, great action, and an interesting story.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U