Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 760 of 5944, by JmanP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:
I’ve been playing Risen 2 for the past couple of weeks and wow, I’m really loving on it. It’s an action RPG by Piranha Bytes who […]
Show full quote

I’ve been playing Risen 2 for the past couple of weeks and wow, I’m really loving on it. It’s an action RPG by Piranha Bytes who have been creating amazing open world RPG’s since releasing Gothic in 2001. I loved the Gothic series too, excluding of course Gothic 4 which was produced by another developer after Piranha Bytes split with their publisher and lost the rights. With no rights to Gothic Piranha Bytes dreamt up ‘Risen’, which was pretty much just Gothic in a different world. The first Risen was a great game despite a weak ending.

Risen 2 has been on my to-do list since it was released 2 years ago, but I’ve been on a mostly retro games kick since then. I gotta say that going from the world of pixilation and 8 bit sound to a modern game is making the experience all the more enjoyable. Risen 2 – which is set in an open-ish world (islands) looks and sounds stunning. It’s a tropical, quasi Caribbean pirate themed storyline with voodoo, fantasy monsters, tomb raider-esque temples to explore, and of course plenty of ridiculous pirate characters and cheesy dialogue. It’s very hard to describe really, and although it didn’t get great reviews I think it’s a brilliant mix of setting, real time combat (which gets a lot more interesting as you progress), and a solid, unique RPG mechanic. Something important which I think the reviews missed is the wonky humour that Piranha Bytes inject into their games. Risen 2 has me laughing out loud every time I play, and as much as I love the TES series, bringing a smile to my dial is not one of its achievements.

So if you’re looking for an interesting take on the RPG genre in a handcrafted world, I’d strongly recommend giving one of Piranha Bytes’ efforts a go. There’s a demo for Gothic II here – this is what got me hooked.

risen_2_2.jpg

Risen-2-4.jpg

This is an awesome game! I might have to get this back out myself and have a blast

Reply 761 of 5944, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Beegle wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Just got to Chapter 7 on Baldur's Gate. This is the final chapter of the game. It's been quite a ride, and looking forward to putting the hurt on Sarevok.

Replay, or first-time play? Either way that game is awesome.

First time. 😎

First time for Baldurs Gate? You lucky person. Do you have the Tales of Sword Coast, Baldurs Gate 2, Planescape : Torment, and the two Icewind Dale games still to come?

Planescape:Torment is especially fine, albeit very dialogue oriented.

Really, Baldur's Gate isn't terribly original, but it was very well implemented at the time, and BG2's sheer scale is impressive. There's probably a bit too much to do midgame and a little lack of direction though. PS:T is the best game out of them all, but the first Icewind Dale is extremely well paced.

Reply 762 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ynari wrote:

First time for Baldurs Gate? You lucky person. Do you have the Tales of Sword Coast, Baldurs Gate 2, Planescape : Torment, and the two Icewind Dale games still to come?

Planescape:Torment is especially fine, albeit very dialogue oriented.

Really, Baldur's Gate isn't terribly original, but it was very well implemented at the time, and BG2's sheer scale is impressive. There's probably a bit too much to do midgame and a little lack of direction though. PS:T is the best game out of them all, but the first Icewind Dale is extremely well paced.

I realized after chapter 7 started that I never did the Tales of the Sword Coast side quests, so I diverted and started that. I really should've done it in Chapter 6 though, because it's so hard to get around Baldur's Gate city when it's trying to lead you down the endgame path (I got arrested, then escaped prison, now having to kill guards which drops my reputation).

I do own BG2 and PST. Planning on buying Icewind Dale 1 and 2 later on. Don't need to spend $ on them when I won't be able to play them for months. I will probably go straight to BG2 after this, then maybe PST. I may take a break somewhere in there for a DOS game, though, just to break up the Infinity Engine monotony.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 763 of 5944, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd advise having a bit of a DOS game break straight after BG; BG2, especially with ToB added on, is a *huge* game. There's nothing it does that's by itself outstanding, but its sheer scale and flexibility is its winning factor. A typical play through of BG2+ToB is well over 100 hours.

If you've a spare sixty hours and haven't played it, Knights of the Old Republic is truly outstanding. PST remains my favourite, however.

Reply 764 of 5944, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Mustang stalled, so it was desperate shot. It paid, though.

hAyIykn.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 766 of 5944, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why is your HUD not using the correct font for the numbers? The ammo icon is also misplaced as well...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 767 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dug out my 2000-2003 LucasArts Classics re-releases (DVD case format releases) of DOTT/Sam&Max, The Dig, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango and I'm taking a trip down the memory lane on my MMX PC.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 768 of 5944, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Why is your HUD not using the correct font for the numbers? The ammo icon is also misplaced as well...

Is it? I'm playing it the first time as I just received a boxed copy (Win10, Patch 226, D3D render path). No idea, what it's supposed to look like.

Reply 769 of 5944, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ignoring the fact this is a 227 bug report image, the HUD should look like this:

p3ifdmn.jpg

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 772 of 5944, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Who? Me or blurks? Jane's World War 2 Fighters or Unreal?

In any case, F-15 Strike Eagle III seems to have bad manual, making learning curve steeper than it should. But I still manage to hit the primary and secondary target in the game's instant action.

CbChioP.png

4HLXk5O.png

3cg7RLH.png

ISXrEAN.png

GwkUwyK.png

wz8HsRl.png

aqEWwnA.png

UW6cmRA.png

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 773 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to play F-15SE II to hell on the A500, I should check out III 😀

Another Jane's simulation lover? 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 774 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Working on Tales of the Sword Coast side quests before finishing Baldur's Gate. I'm in Chapter 7, just not moving forward with the plot til I finish the side quests in the expansion.
So far I finished the Ice Island and Werewolf Island quests and am partway through Durlag's Tower. I'd like to try and get my characters close to the 161,000 XP cap before taking on the endgame. As it stands, my players are all around 100,000 XP. Not sure if it's going to happen unless I go out of my way with some extra grinding.

Reply 775 of 5944, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Who? Me or blurks? Jane's World War 2 Fighters or Unreal?

blurks and Unreal... I was replying to his screenshot....

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 776 of 5944, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Working on Tales of the Sword Coast side quests before finishing Baldur's Gate. I'm in Chapter 7, just not moving forward with the plot til I finish the side quests in the expansion.
So far I finished the Ice Island and Werewolf Island quests and am partway through Durlag's Tower. I'd like to try and get my characters close to the 161,000 XP cap before taking on the endgame. As it stands, my players are all around 100,000 XP. Not sure if it's going to happen unless I go out of my way with some extra grinding.

Nice one, sounds like a very considered approach.

I'm at a cross roads with my Risen play through - I'm well into it and have completed most quests in and around the towns, but now have been forced out into the wilderness to grind myself up to a level ready for the end game. I really do like the world but exploring means hacking your way through beast after beast after beast; I'm exhausted! And from memory the endgame isn't much fun anyway, so I might just cut it short.

Great game though!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 777 of 5944, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been playing the non-gpu-accelerated, GoG/DOS version of TIE-Fighter, with genuine Roland MT-32 music. I have it on my modern PC, but have the Roland jacked into my USB MIDI adapter. *bwoh-ba-ba-badada-bum-bup, bwoh-ba-ba-badada-bum-bup* 🤣

"You will fly the TIE-Fighter designated Alpha 1. You will be the only one in your flight group. Your craft will be equipped with four concussion missiles."

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 778 of 5944, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the past eight years or so, I've been playing Tomb Raider, at the average speed of one or two levels a year.
Once or twice I lost my most recent save, which set me back by about two years.

I'm on the last level at the moment, so there's a chance of finishing the game this year 😀

Next: TR2.

Reply 779 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion last night in Baldur's Gate. Man, Durlag's Tower side quest is massive, and super difficult! By itself, it seemed to be about 15 hrs of gameplay. The other three side quests combined for probably 5 hrs. 20 hrs for an expansion pack? That's awesome. And completing it gets you all the XP you need to max your characters out before the final battle. Now, on to defeat Sarevok. Butt-kicking for goodness!

edit: thinking ahead to what I want to play next. Before I jump into Baldur's Gate II (possibly another 100 hrs??), I'm going to play something short and sweet on my 486, for some MS-DOS lovin'. I'm trying to decide between Eric the Unready, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, and Quest for Glory I VGA. Any opinions?