What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1120 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:
For me it was 2 things: 1. Combat felt satisfying, unlike Doom. Glory kills got tiresome fast and melee in Shadow Warrior didn […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:
Munx wrote:

IMO Shadow Warrior is the good classic fps re-boot. Combat is satisfying and the story interesting and doesnt get in the way at the same time. Doom just gets boring very quickly.

And I wouldn't discount story from FPS either. Metro series are one of my favorite games because of it.

I loved Shadow Warrior but to say that it is the better game boggles my mind, it has all of Doom's issues exponentially..

For me it was 2 things:
1. Combat felt satisfying, unlike Doom. Glory kills got tiresome fast and melee in Shadow Warrior didnt take control away from the player. Every weapon in SW felt satisfying to use while in Doom they had very little kick.
2. Music wasnt annoying. I couldnt stand it in Doom.

I see.

For me it was the opposite.

1. In Doom, I felt like the ultimate badass - the combat never got in the way because the game was designed around the idea of momentum. In Shadow Warrior the combat got really tedious as the game swarmed you with increasingly larger number of annoying enemies and your only way to overcome them was to tactically retreat and heal over and over.
2. In Doom, the guns progressively empower you to mow through increasingly tougher enemies and melee combat is a means to add momentum. In shadow Warrior the weapons feel like pea pistol sidegrades and the enemies are huge bullet sponges, and the only way to reliably deal damage - melee combat - is prone to the same suckage most first person melee games are, it's awkward, and imprecise.
3. Doom's pacing and length is immaculate, Shadow Warrior's pacing is all over the place and really overstays its welcome.
4. Music is subjective..

Just my 2c.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1121 of 5847, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
For me it was the opposite. […]
Show full quote

For me it was the opposite.

1. In Doom, I felt like the ultimate badass - the combat never got in the way because the game was designed around the idea of momentum. In Shadow Warrior the combat got really tedious as the game swarmed you with increasingly larger number of annoying enemies and your only way to overcome them was to tactically retreat and heal over and over.
2. In Doom, the guns progressively empower you to mow through increasingly tougher enemies and melee combat is a means to add momentum. In shadow Warrior the weapons feel like pea pistol sidegrades and the enemies are huge bullet sponges, and the only way to reliably deal damage - melee combat - is prone to the same suckage most first person melee games are, it's awkward, and imprecise.
3. Doom's pacing and length is immaculate, Shadow Warrior's pacing is all over the place and really overstays its welcome.
4. Music is subjective..

Just my 2c.

I can respect that.

Despite me not liking it I can appreciate Doom for taking a direction not many games now take.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1122 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow I’ve never considered the possibility of someone not liking the original DOOM! I wonder how much the setting has to do with my enjoyment of a game, and how much I’m willing to forgive for a setting I like.

I love the first episode of Duke3D for example, but once you head off into space - second episode I think? - then it’s a lot less enjoyable I find. I bought the full version back in the day but would of been happy to stick with the demo it turns out.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1123 of 5847, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Wow I’ve never considered the possibility of someone not liking the original DOOM!

I dont believe such people exist

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1124 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might be an interesting thread actually - "Games that everyone else thinks are rad but which you hate for the following reasons..."

Reply 1126 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Might be an interesting thread actually - "Games that everyone else thinks are rad but which you hate for the following reasons..."

I've got a few to add to that thread. Start it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1127 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting into Albion. Needed something to blow off steam in between creative projects and this will do the trick. Interesting it was originally intended for the Amiga, but was developed for DOS instead according to Wikipedia. The MIDI music is nothing to write home about, but overall a nicely paced RPG.

Reply 1128 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Getting into Albion. Needed something to blow off steam in between creative projects and this will do the trick. Interesting it was originally intended for the Amiga, but was developed for DOS instead according to Wikipedia. The MIDI music is nothing to write home about, but overall a nicely paced RPG.

I'm curious how you like it as you get further along. Keep us posted. I had some issues with it that kept me from finishing it but I'll keep them to myself so I don't taint your point of view.

Reply 1130 of 5847, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rally-sport. Unlike for liqmat, rally-sport is one of my creative outlets and also the most profitable of them, although not really. Good driving physics, good screams of spectators, a great modder community.

Doom gets too much attention to be interesting to me.

Reply 1131 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still working through Half-Life and Lords of Xulima. On Chapter 14: Lambda Core in HL and probably a little over halfway through Xulima (based on the fact my characters are level 22 and from what I've read, typical endgame character level is around 40).

Reply 1132 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the good things about focussing on old games is that new ones appear as if from nowhere sometimes, which is exactly what happened recently when I stumbled across ‘Kingdom Come: Deliverance’. Somehow this game had been in development for ~7 years, done the whole kickstarter thing, been released, and even had a couple of patches made available too so lucky me - I missed all of the anticipation and frustration of playing an unpatched game and can just dive into a reasonably polished product (there are still some bugs by all reports, but I haven't seen anything significant yet). And my anticipation would have been palpable for this one given that it appears to have been designed to my exact requirements: first person open world RPG, realistic medieval setting, engaging story, tactical real-time combat – think Mount and Blade meets Skyrim with a dash of Ultima thrown in. A medieval survival / walking simulator? Hmm I'm not really sure what it is, but it’s right up my alley.

Budget wise it falls somewhere between indy and mainstream so although the fundamental comforts of a modern game are there – easy to use interface, decent inventory system, workable map, etc – it gets away with being a lot more quirky, pedantic, and slow paced than the bigger RPG titles I’ve played lately. You have hunger and tiredness to deal with, perishable food in your inventory will spoil over time, and you need to bandage wounds or you’ll bleed to death slowly. You can’t read any of the books in the world until you find someone to teach you how, your cloths and weapons deteriorate and get dirty, which impacts your interactions with people until you go to a bathhouse / tailor / blacksmith. Combat is slow, tactical, and quite difficult so far (I’m only about 15 hours in). I’ve won a few fights against weaker bandits but you get no hint about their level beyond what sort of armour they’re wearing. When confronted, they might come directly at you or rush off into the forest yelling “to arms!”, appearing a short time later with double the numbers and then you’re really in trouble, because they don’t wait patiently to take turns fighting you.

The realism is obviously all relative – there are countless concessions required to allow the player to have a good time – but it’s above and beyond anything I’ve played in a long time. Outside the towns you’re not constantly confronted with wildlife or bad dudes to fight like you are in Skyrim for example – you see fleeting glances of deer, wild boar, and hares. You can hunt them, but I haven’t gotten close enough to anything other than a couple of hare to actually hit them with my bow and arrow, and I was in a forest owned by the nobility so I couldn’t sell the meat; it was flagged as stolen. All of this probably sounds pretty bloody boring and annoying but it’s all so well done that – so far – it’s an absolute joy. The graphics are stunning – easily more interesting and atmospheric than The Witcher 3 IMO, and I love that game world. The level of detail is mind blowing – particularly the flora. Harvestable plants all look exactly right, the forests are dense and varied, the grass and wildflowers sway in the breeze, the ground becomes properly muddy when it rains. I could go on! The towns and castles are likewise amazingly detailed and character models are good – pretty wooden for the most part but the voice acting makes up for it.

Anyway, it’s certainly not going to be for everyone but once you get through the 5+ hour long tutorial and are let loose on an amazingly realistic and detailed open world, it has the potential to be a very unique experience if you’re in to open world RPGs. I’ve been so taken with the setting that I’m reading A Distant Mirror – a Medieval history from about the same time period and provides an excellent backdrop for the in-game story.

Good times.

2018-03-17_2127_1.jpg

2018-03-17_2138_1.jpg

2018-03-17_2137_1.jpg

2018-03-18_0817_1.jpg

2018-03-17_2133_1.jpg

2018-03-18_0808_1.jpg

2018-03-18_0840_2.jpg

Kingdom_Come_2018-03-12_21-44-31.jpg

Kingdom_Come_2018-03-13_22-26-34.jpg

Last edited by badmojo on 2018-04-25, 05:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1133 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds incredible, badmojo! Too bad I don't have a system capable of playing it. 🙁 I'll share it with my son (who does have a system that can play it) and see what his interest level is. 😉

Reply 1134 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Too bad I don't have a system capable of playing it. 🙁

This is the perfect excuse to upgrade! I'm only running a GTX960 with an 8 year old i5 over here and it runs pretty well @ 1080p. I spent quite a while fiddling with the settings for this one though to get it right though - I hope Nvidia do one of their excellent tweak guides. The AA options aren't great and I'm still not 100% happy with that, but with a mix of medium and high settings + Reshade 'Levels' shader + reducing the engine's sharpening via a config hack (-1 I'm using), it runs at about 50FPS on average and looks amazing.

Reply 1135 of 5847, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm getting my teeth in to Into the Breach, the new game from Subset, makers of FTL.

It's exactly as clean, tactical, unforgiving, and rewarding as you expect. Ben Prunty returns as composer too, so the soundtrack is just dreamy.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1136 of 5847, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guess.

The game's ambience sound effects really sound great on Bowers & Wilkins DM302, though, since the DM302 has excellent soundstage depth to put such ambience behind the computer monitor.

H5FGkBZ.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1139 of 5847, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:

If final boss battles aren't your thing, I recommend Turok 2. The whole game seemed fulfilling and challenging throughout...until I got to the Primagen. I guess I need to play it again on hard. Just finished it. Loved the whole experience otherwise. What a great game.

Did you play the original or the remastered Nightdive version?

I've played both. I had the original years ago on my N64 (before it was stolen). I cheated my way to the end boss years ago but forgot pretty much all of it. This time I played the Nightdive remaster which was fantastic and truly authentic. It felt exactly the same as I remember playing it.

Munx wrote:

Doom (2016).

Im quite disappointed. I really wanted to like this game, but after a few hours it feels very repetitive and boring. And I actually had to turn off the music since all the crappy dubstep and distortion thats been added to the otherwise good tracks just gets REALLY annoying.

I don't even know what to say...I completely disagree. Actually, I prefer it to the original Doom. And I hate modern shooters. Doom 2016 was a fantastic throwback to older shooter features while also bringing it forward into the future. And not by copying everything else but by being just working out something great and special. The music is the best part of the game. It's a shame you didn't get very far as it gets much more metal-y as you go and it's absolutely ESSENTIAL to the energy of the action. If you can't enjoy that then yeah, you won't enjoy the game.

Also, the story was that initially id expressly told Mick to NOT USE GUITARS as they felt it had a stigma and a corniness to it. Mick worked to create a new style, as per their request, and succeeded (he actually did a video/panel/something about it that you can find on YouTube and it's quite fascinating), but he kept pushing for guitars and they relented and it made his music 10 times better...and without the stigma of "corny 80s hair metal" or whatever id was expecting. So props to Mick for getting guitars in there despite his mandate to not use it.

But, dude, seriously. It's not dubstep. I'm sick of seeing people say this 🤣.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.