Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 980 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been struggling to find the time / motivation to get serious about any one game lately but found myself firing up FO4 last night after losing interest shortly after its release. I wasn't ever happy with the look / framerate of it so spent some time going through the Nvidia tweak guide - that sorted out the framerate but I still wasn't happy with the look, so decided it was time to check out some mods.

Why did they make modding this bloody thing so difficult? Maybe they're trying to encourage people to use their paid mod scheme but I just wanted to do what I've done with Skyrim, Oblivion, etc, i.e. download from the nexus, copy mods over manually, and off I go. It took me a while to even find the place where mods are 'turned on', and even then I had to make some ini files read-only so that they weren't disabled again each time I loaded the game. Then I had to do some more hacking of the mainframe to get the game to recognise the 'textures' folder I'd added - even a simple texture replacement mod was a challenge!

Anyway, I got there in the end and it looks much nicer.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 981 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

I've been struggling to find the time / motivation to get serious about any one game lately

Same. Other things in life have rightfully been getting more priority lately. Still about halfway through Strike Commander (haven't played in over a month) and inching along in Realms of Arkania I.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 982 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Other things in life have rightfully been getting more priority lately.

I hope they're good things at least 😀

I've been having fun with FO4 for what it's worth - I'm struggling to get into the story-line but enjoyed the process of messing around with a few mods (just some simple environment things) and roaming about kicking some mutant arse. Some pics of my adventures:

Screen_Shot1.jpg

Screen_Shot2.jpg

Screen_Shot4.jpg

Reply 983 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been playing UT99 with people I know. Getting around to packaging mods in easy to use archives so nobody has to deal with the umod BS or dubious executables.

The AirFightUT mod actually mostly functions properly online enough to be really playable, I'm surprised. So if anyone wants to see UT99 as a flight sim, feel free to PM me.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 984 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Other things in life have rightfully been getting more priority lately.

I hope they're good things at least 😀

Yes, for the most part! Life is life, there will be good and bad, but what I'm speaking about is good. 😊

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 985 of 5847, by JetSetWilly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:

Wasteland 2 Director´s Cut (PC). A deep, challenging, very rich and addictive CRPG.

Can you compare it to Wasteland 2?

Finished the Baldurs Gate city missions and ended up in Candlekeep so the tower is going to have to wait..

Unfortunately I can´t because I have started Director´s Cut directly.

Reply 986 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JetSetWilly wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:

Wasteland 2 Director´s Cut (PC). A deep, challenging, very rich and addictive CRPG.

Can you compare it to Wasteland 2?

Finished the Baldurs Gate city missions and ended up in Candlekeep so the tower is going to have to wait..

Unfortunately I can´t because I have started Director´s Cut directly.

Brain fart on my part I had meant to ask for a comparison with Fallout 2 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 989 of 5847, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dark Legions

It's a really good game, one of my favourites. Unfortunately, the computer AI is not much of a challenge except maybe occasionally on the highest difficulty setting where it's troops get several bonuses to their stats on the battle map. The game also has some bugs and the view area on the strategic map in the 3D view is too small (which is why I use the overhead view a lot).

I'm also testing different soundfonts with the game and uploading gameplay videos to Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDw7Kq … v8vacesjybfgd5T

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 990 of 5847, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've always got several games on the go at once. Right now I'm playing though DOOM (2016) on my i5 and MechWarrior 2 (Win, but not Titanium version) on my P3 Win98 machine. I always preferred the clean look instead of the 3D accelerator specific versions. Something kept me from beating MW2 back in the day, so I'm looking forward to seeing it through to the end. So many keys and joystick buttons to keep track of, I've got a bunch of sheets printed out until I memorize things.

I'm not sure which game has better music, DOOM 2016 or MW2. Both are incredible.

Reply 991 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cliffclaven wrote:

Something kept me from beating MW2 back in the day, so I'm looking forward to seeing it through to the end.

I'm not sure which game has better music, DOOM 2016 or MW2. Both are incredible.

Doing the same on MW3. My favorite MW game. Never finished MW3 or its expansion pack. Having a good time of it.

MW2 music reigns supreme. It just drips with atmosphere and makes that game. The only other game soundtrack that moved me like MW2 is Outcast where they used The Moscow Symphony Orchestra.

Reply 993 of 5847, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anaxagoras wrote:

Doom.
Yes, I know, I'm not very original.
Now, I'm playing e2m4

I just did a full and thorough playthrough of both Ultimate Doom and Doom II while fooling around with my new capture card. Doom is about my favorite game ever, no need to be ashamed of a Doom addiction 😜

..I'm currently playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, but I'm not sure how long I'll bother with it since it feels like Borderlands 2 repackaged with political garbage. Glad I got it on a cheap sale.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 994 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sometimes find myself playing Halo 1 for PC with a select circle of friends. I don't really enjoy it and the game is extremely wonky, but I keep getting invited to a game regardless...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 995 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cliffclaven wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Doing the same on MW3.

Period hardware?

No. Windows 7 64 with an i7 and 670M laptop GPU. Base game works perfect when you use a frame limiter and set it to 30FPS. No bouncing vehicles. Pirate's Moon expansion works flawless. It does crash once in a great while, but it also did that on period hardware.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-10-11, 01:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 996 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I don't really enjoy it and the game is extremely wonky, but I keep getting invited to a game regardless...

That's funny, Same thing for me with Counter Strike: Condition Zero. I kept getting invited, I sucked at it and did not enjoy it that much. On the other hand Unreal Tournament 2003 was a game that brought me endless enjoyment and belly laughs. That game had insane maps.

Reply 997 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still play UT2004 from time to time, Ballistic Weapons and ChaosUT2 being the two mods I cycle back and forth to\from.

And yes, Unreal has a history of insane maps. This is what generally happens when you package the official level editor with the game itself...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 998 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wasn't happy with my FO4 modding efforts so I spent a few more happy hours trying this and tweaking that, now I'm using:

- CommonwealthConifersREDUX_1.3 (no .ini file change so only existing trees are replaced, no new ones added. Extra trees caused too much clipping and clashed with TAA antialiasing)
- DYNAVISION - Dynamic Depth of Field (static, mid setting)
- FO4LoadAccelerator (makes a noticeable difference to load times, which can suck)
- No More Fake Puddles
- TrueGrass
- WET - Water Enhancement Textures

And the final piece of the puzzle was the anti-aliasing, which is a problem with this game. FXAA looks gross. TAA looks much better but blurs the image. In the end I settled on using TAA + Reshade to sharpen the image, and this works really well. Reshade can add all sorts of shaders, but I'm only using 'LumaSharpen' and 'Levels', both on default settings.

Nice steady frame rate and looking good:

Fallout4_2017-10-10_19-34-42.jpg

Fallout4_2017-10-10_19-39-08.jpg

Fallout4_2017-10-10_19-39-41.jpg