Reply 1141 of 5850, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

That's Lionheart isn't it? Or, Arcanum?

Neither. 😉

Anyway, is Lionheart worth playing? I tried to play it, but the pace is just too slow, the city is too big, and the population is too sparse.

F2bnp wrote:

Nah, that's Sacred 😁

Indeed. The in-game sound is pretty good, ambience and the likes. Good game to showcase loudspeakers' soundstage depth.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1142 of 5850, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve settled into ‘Kingdome Come: Deliverance’ now and am getting more serious about questing – so far so good but some cracks have appeared in the games otherwise impressive façade. The NPC AI is somewhat wonky; they get stuck on stuff, ignore your requests to talk, and sometimes don’t detect you very well. “Who’s there?” they’ll call as you stand directly in front of them in broad daylight. And wildlife behaves strangely sometimes too – hares get stuck in small streams, deer you’re busy shooting arrows at will sometimes just stand there and take it, or they might high tail it for a split second before screeching to a halt and urgently munching grass. Cows hover sometimes... hey, these things simply serve as reminders that it’s just a game – the rest of the world is so engrossing that it’s probably for the best. My wife asked me if I’d gotten online and bought myself some new tee-shirts as promised and I had to confess that no, I’d spent half an hour looking for new a new tunic and someone to darn my stockings in my alternate Medieval life.

Archery is fun and horse riding is well implemented – I’m under the impression that you can fight on horse-back. I've seen fish in some waterways too, I'd like to get my hands on those beauties but haven't worked out how yet. The other thing I like is that it’s a humble storyline – you’re not trying to save the world, just improve your station a bit (and get some revenge). And the size of the world is also a pleasant surprise – big enough to keep you busy, but not exasperatingly massive like most other open world games I've played recently.

screenshot0043.jpg

screenshot0037.jpg

screenshot0047.jpg

Last edited by badmojo on 2018-04-25, 05:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1143 of 5850, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've actually been playing Fallout 2 since I got a giant Sun 90w10 monitor and it's glorious. Also I'm actually getting somewhere in the game whereas before I got my ass kicked literally everywhere I went and mainly just wandered around. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1144 of 5850, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been playing Quake 1 again lately, but not singleplayer.

http://www.fvfonline.com/

The server is primarily co-op, once in a blue moon there's enough people to actually play "Purge", but generally it's just co-op (known as "Quest" in FvF mod terms)

Really great mod, wish I could find more people to play this with.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1145 of 5850, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spikey wrote:

Playing the old Super Solvers series games from the Learning Company, since this forum showed me how to use Win 3.1 in DOSBox!!

There are Win3.1 versions? I knew there were DOS versions.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1147 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Started playing Gobliiins on PC. I used to love it on Amiga but the PC versions on GOG have much superior graphics and sound..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1148 of 5850, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still chiseling away at Lords of Xulima. It's been 2 months now and I think I'm a little more than halfway through. I may be able to get through the rest quickly though, as my wife will be rehearsing 4 nights a week for a musical she'll be performing in. So for the next month or so I'll have 2-3 hrs of available gaming time 4 nights a week. 😎

Oh, and after beating Half-Life I started Unreal Gold. Yet another game I played but never finished back in the day. Playing with the Old Unreal patch and the hi res texture pack.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1150 of 5850, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In Unreal, I've gotten to ISV-Kran Deck 1. In Lords of Xulima, my characters are level 43 and I'm not sure how much further I must go. Xulima is a great game, but it seems incredibly long. 2.5 months in, and who knows how much more til I finish? I'm already starting to fantasize about the next game, so I know I'm getting a little burned out on this one and hoping to finish it soon. Options for the next RPG are Stonekeep and Anvil of Dawn. Either way, I will play it on my POD 200MMX in MS-DOS 6.22. It's been a long while since I've played an RPG in DOS...

Reply 1151 of 5850, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As always I'm impressed with your dedication - I drop things like a stone when even a hint of the grind kicks in. Case in point is my interest in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which I was recently obsessed with but which I haven't touched for a couple of weeks. For all its awesome immersion and interesting mechanics, the NPCs are thick as 2 bricks and it really breaks the spell for me. Mid battle they'll put away their sword and start asking "who's there?". I'm here idiots! The guy who you've been fighting to the death for the last 5 minutes.

Anyway, it's still receiving some mega patches so I'll give it 6 months and see if that gets addressed.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1152 of 5850, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just started playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and so far I've been really enjoying it. It's like an elder scrolls game without magic and no handholding at all. I haven't really hit any bugs so far, but I think I'm still fairly early in- just finished the quest involving the charcoal burner's camps, now I'm taking on bounties for killing bandit leaders. I hope it will only get better with the new patches.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1153 of 5850, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

As always I'm impressed with your dedication - I drop things like a stone when even a hint of the grind kicks in.

If the game wasn't so good, I would've walked away awhile ago. Xulima really feels like a combination of Wizardry 8 and a Might & Magic Xeen game, especially the way combat is handled. So, that means they made the grinding so fun that it's hard to quit. 😉

Reply 1154 of 5850, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We should try out co-op in Unreal someday clueless.

It's much better than deathmatch.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1155 of 5850, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing Quake2 on my recent w98 build, another one of those games I never got to play when it first came out. It's fun but the Reckoning expansion keeps crashing on me at startup for some reason, but Ground Zero works fine.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1156 of 5850, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you properly install the mission packs and the last "Point Release" patch for Quake 2 and the expansion packs?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1157 of 5850, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Did you properly install the mission packs and the last "Point Release" patch for Quake 2 and the expansion packs?

What is the "proper install"? I installed Quake2/Reckoning/Ground Zero in that order. I removed the Reckoning and patched Q2 to 3.20 then reinstalled Reckoning, seems OK so far. Haven't looked for any patches for the expansions, are there any?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1158 of 5850, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think what I did back with my retail discs was Quake 2 first, then Reckoning, then Ground Zero, then finally install the proper 3.20 release ontop of all that.

I've never had crashes on start on any of the above with that order.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1159 of 5850, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installing 3.20 last is important because installing the expansions will overwrite Quake2's EXE/DLLs with an older version (there is no checking there) and 3.20 is the final official patch which came after both expansions..

(also it's important to not use certain source ports that replace the missionpack dlls because some 'fix' and 'undummy' things that alter the game balance like the Disintegrator to the point of mandela effecting that back in history to a newer generation (as it was a scrapped overpowered gun originally ifdef'd out for a very good reason))

apsosig.png
long live PCem