What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 840 of 5944, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Clouds of Xeen abd Darkside of Xeen. World was also released as a standalone bundle bot long afterwards.

MM 4, 5 abd 6 are the best MM have to offer and solid recommendations to everyone.

clueless1 wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Wait, World of Xeen is a combination of two MM games, isn't it? I don't quite recall, but IIRC you need to install both games on the same hard drive to get World of Xeen.

Yeah, as appiah says. In my case, I bought the GOG version, installed to my XP machine, then copied the files over to my DOS machine. Easily the biggest hdd hog on my 500MB 486, weighing in at over 36MB. 😉 edit: this is without the full speech option. I could not figure out how to make the CDs work in real DOS for full speech. See Digital DOS games (GOG, Steam...) Retro PC Compatibility Sheet: We need your input! for more details.

Sounds interesting, but how about its combat? No offense, but I always prefer RPGs with top-down (or 3/4) view in combat.

In any case, I do hope for HD remake of this game:

s8s8R3H.png

U2dhzDa.png

Gw9dpRa.png

ZtBB0Je.png

L8IbjML.png

urrucmn.png

G8KVSCB.png

QlkyYVF.png

Gi1Ir2N.png

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 841 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never played 4D Boxing, but I spent a ton of time in my youth playing Ringside Seat on my Apple II. I would create tournament brackets for each weight class, then simulate each match up and determine the all-time champion for each weight class. I loved fighting the oldtime greats (Marciano, Louis, etc.) vs modern champs (Ali, Tyson, etc.).
Gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0evRabBlQ
Also played a ton of Mike Tyson's Punch Out on NES.

Re: RPGs, I usually prefer top-down perspective too, but there's some first person RPGs that I really enjoyed:
System Shock 1 and 2
Might and Magic 3, 4, 5
Lands of Lore 1
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2
Legend of Grimrock

The ones I don't really like are the 3rd person (NWN, Witcher), but then again, I haven't given them much of a chance.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 842 of 5944, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lots of fun that 4D boxing, and the game this thread started with! I'd like to give 4D driving (aka Stunts) another go one of these days too - many youthful hours spent on both of those games.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 843 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
I never played 4D Boxing, but I spent a ton of time in my youth playing Ringside Seat on my Apple II. I would create tournament […]
Show full quote

I never played 4D Boxing, but I spent a ton of time in my youth playing Ringside Seat on my Apple II. I would create tournament brackets for each weight class, then simulate each match up and determine the all-time champion for each weight class. I loved fighting the oldtime greats (Marciano, Louis, etc.) vs modern champs (Ali, Tyson, etc.).
Gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0evRabBlQ
Also played a ton of Mike Tyson's Punch Out on NES.

Re: RPGs, I usually prefer top-down perspective too, but there's some first person RPGs that I really enjoyed:
System Shock 1 and 2
Might and Magic 3, 4, 5
Lands of Lore 1
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2
Legend of Grimrock

The ones I don't really like are the 3rd person (NWN, Witcher), but then again, I haven't given them much of a chance.

Definitely play Eye of the Beholder 1/2 and Legend of Grimrock 2.

Your taste sounds a lot like mine, and you probably enjoy well scripted narratives more than a sandbox, but even so Daggerfall and Morrowind are also worth a look too.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 844 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Definitely play Eye of the Beholder 1/2 and Legend of Grimrock 2.

Your taste sounds a lot like mine, and you probably enjoy well scripted narratives more than a sandbox, but even so Daggerfall and Morrowind are also worth a look too.

I started EOB1 a couple of weeks ago, got stuck on level 6 (I used up all my keys and had 1 more door to open to progress to the rest of the level), and wasn't into it enough to use a backed up save from level 5. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty limited, no automap, one save slot (I was manually copying my saves after each level) and no in-game music. But I'll probably eventually go back to it. For sure Grimrock 2 is on my playlist. And I have Daggerfall. Another good one that I will attempt eventually. I'm a little intimidated by its scope, but I think if I limit the side quests, it can be doable. Yeah, it sounds like we have similar RPG tastes. 😀 I also really loved Ultima 7 Pt1 and 2 and Baldur's Gate. BG2 is also on my playlist, probably after Xeen.

Reply 845 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima VII Pt 1, I never finished to be honest, the story never took me. Serpent Isle, however, oh man.. I also thoroughly enjoyed Ultima VIII Pagan, but not many others have.. Certainly give it a go.

Baldur's Gate II is awesome, finished it twice and probably sank 200+ hours into it in my teens. Do play Planescape: Torment as well.

Not sure if you played them but the first two Fallout games are super awesome also.

Reply 846 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fallout for me was not that great. The interface wasn't doing it for me. I got probably 40% into the game and stopped because the interface was too frustrating. Also not that into the post-nuclear theme. I'm more of a high fantasy kind of guy. I never finished Ultima VIII back in the day, but I do want to give it another go. Also have PS:T, will get to that one eventually too.

Reply 847 of 5944, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Lots of fun that 4D boxing, and the game this thread started with! I'd like to give 4D driving (aka Stunts) another go one of these days too - many youthful hours spent on both of those games.

And I loved the fact it worked on the internal PC speaker. Digitized sound effects with no Sound Blaster. Stunts also used the same engine. There were a few others that used it. I'm not sure if I bought the game box off eBay over the years but mine was cracked so I always enjoyed that game after school with nothing to do on a 286. There were two versions if I recall correctly one was pre Broderbund in the title and that was classic.

Reply 848 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing Worlds of Xeen many hours over the holiday weekend and I cleared Vertigo, Red Dwarf Mines, and Castleview (on the Darkside). My characters are now levels 9-10 and I've got 260k gold and 1500 gems in the bank. Such a simple, streamlined interface and ridiculously addicting character-building. Not super challenging yet, but that's cool with me, as I don't like to be frustrated in my retro gaming. Game runs like a dream on my 486 and the Audician 32 Plus sounds beautiful playing FM music and digital effects.

xeen1.jpg
Filename
xeen1.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
xeen2.jpg
Filename
xeen2.jpg
File size
2.67 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 849 of 5944, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I fired up No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way last night for a quick diversion - runs very nicely on my P4. Such a polished experience - looks amazing, sounds great, controls are well done, interesting setting, super hot hero, great weapons, and yet for some reason I find this game souless and boring.

A mystery for the ages.

Reply 850 of 5944, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another classic I just remembered. Syndicate from Bullfrog later Electronic Arts. Nice freaking intro and music. Gameplay was awesome too. Many nights staying up on that. Another Dune/Warcraft addictive type game. This game needs an HD update.

Reply 851 of 5944, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

I fired up No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way last night for a quick diversion - runs very nicely on my P4. Such a polished experience - looks amazing, sounds great, controls are well done, interesting setting, super hot hero, great weapons, and yet for some reason I find this game souless and boring.

A mystery for the ages.

Was looking to buy this game online, but it doesn't exist for some reason. Steam and GOG that is.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 852 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
95DosBox wrote:

Another classic I just remembered. Syndicate from Bullfrog later Electronic Arts. Nice freaking intro and music. Gameplay was awesome too. Many nights staying up on that. Another Dune/Warcraft addictive type game. This game needs an HD update.

The true test of whether your PC can handle Syndicate is the Atlantic Accelerator mission 😁

I remember trying to play this on my Amiga, and they double dipping for the PC version when I got my 486DX33 and being amazed at how smoothly it ran..

Reply 853 of 5944, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Was looking to buy this game online, but it doesn't exist for some reason. Steam and GOG that is.

It's another one of those games stuck in licensing limbo, like System Shock 2 was until recently. That's a shame because it's a cracker of a game, just not cup of tea for some reason.

Reply 854 of 5944, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

The true test of whether your PC can handle Syndicate is the Atlantic Accelerator mission 😁

I remember trying to play this on my Amiga, and they double dipping for the PC version when I got my 486DX33 and being amazed at how smoothly it ran..

Yup, with all the minigun rounds exploding around you.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 855 of 5944, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
badmojo wrote:

A mystery for the ages.

Haven't played the 1st one or 2nd but I recall the standing cut out promos at Gamestop. When both show up on GOG DRM free. It's time to buy them. 😀

appiah4 wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

Which Amiga? 500, 1000, 2000? Which of the two versions was smoother? Resolutions were 800x600 on this game I think on the PC version. Sounds effects PC SB vs Amiga version were they identical? I grabbed the Amiga version a few years ago on Floppies. One day I will have to test them out.

Reply 856 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still playing Might and Magic: World of Xeen. It's going great, still enjoying it, etc. But, sometimes I just have a few minutes, or I want a little break, and Doom is just a couple of directories away. At first, I was just curious how Doom would run on a DX2 at 40Mhz (which I clocked intentionally because of Xeen), then when saw that it was very playable, I kept at it. I'd picked up where I left off from an old save (E1M4), now I'm on E1M7. I configured the controls for WASD, but can't turn off the mouse forward/back movement without also disabling turn left/right, so that's taking a little getting used. Also using a ball mouse and even my mouse sensitivity is maxed out, quickly spinning around just does not happen. 😀 But having a blast. Maybe I'll actually finish E1 and move on through the rest this time.

Reply 857 of 5944, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a little TSR tool for Doom to turn off vertical mouse. I think it's called novert.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 858 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

There is a little TSR tool for Doom to turn off vertical mouse. I think it's called novert.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Reply 859 of 5944, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back to F-15 Strike Eagle III. Lots of things I've forgotten.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.