Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 920 of 5934, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm making a custom map for Unreal 1. (And no it's not being made with Unreal Gold, it's being made with a retail copy of the game patched to version 225f)

I hope this counts as playing a game in topic for this thread!

Shot0058.jpg
Filename
Shot0058.jpg
File size
82.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Shot0057.jpg
Filename
Shot0057.jpg
File size
37.14 KiB
Views
File license
Shot0056.jpg
Filename
Shot0056.jpg
File size
49.32 KiB
Views
File license

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 921 of 5934, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I hope this counts as playing a game in topic for this thread!

I assume you have to play-test your work, so absolutely it does!

It looks amazing, well done 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 922 of 5934, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@DracoNihil -- pretty impressive looking map. How did you get the mountains in there? Is that a background that comes with the editor, or did you import them?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 923 of 5934, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mountains in the sky are a texture that comes with Unreal it's located in the ShaneDay.utx package.

The terrain brush was made with Nem's Terrain Generator and imported into the editor.

The only custom texture in the map is my treeline texture. The treeline in question exists in GenTerra.utx but it is a extremely unusable texture. (does not mask, is 512x256 and has ugly JPEG artefacts)

I use a volumetric light to tint the mountains a bit to create a "distant horizon" effect. The scrolling clouds (if you can make them out) are Special Lit so that I can fade them out at the edges.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 924 of 5934, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've abandoned Martian Dreams. Too much walking and back-tracking. I peeked at a walkthrough and saw there was a LOT more ahead, so I said nevermind.

So I'm playing (and enjoying a lot more than I expected) Shadow Caster (my avatar). Currently on level 4 -- Misty Ruins. It's taking awhile to get used to the controls. They are not customizable at all. You can move via mouse (Ultima Underworld style) or with the arrow keys or numpad. I've taken to using the arrow keys with my left hand, and mouse with right. It's kludgy, but I'm getting used to it. The game doesn't require the kind of speed that something like Doom requires, it's closer to System Shock in pacing. So it's working so far. The game engine is Carmack-designed and post-Wolf3D, pre-Doom. It runs very well on my DX2/66, better fps than Doom on the same system. I'm enjoying the GM soundtrack on my DreamBlaster X2 too.

I think I will start a tradition of changing my avatar to whatever game I'm currently playing. My plan is to start Strike Commander after Shadow Caster. We'll see if I stick to my word.

Reply 925 of 5934, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never heard of Shadow Caster, will check it out! Love a good GM soundtrack and Carmack engine.

I've been playing a cute little RPG / farming sim with my daughters called Stardew Valley. It's modern but pixel art - looks a lot like Ultimate 7! Very good natured and easy to play; it might be the first game they really engage with.

Reply 926 of 5934, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Never heard of Shadow Caster, will check it out! Love a good GM soundtrack and Carmack engine.

Now that I'm farther along in Shadow Caster, I have to say this is a pretty weak effort for Origin. It's still fun, and I'm going to keep going to the end, but it's not up to their usual standards. If you go into it with the mindset that it's a very simple adventure-themed FPS, then you should be alright. But the way they marketed it (plus the fact that it is from ORIGIN) made people think it was an RPG, which it is far from. There's lots of silliness about the game:
-it's fairly easy to manipulate the monsters into getting stuck on corners so you can bang on them without being attacked back.
-the controls are...different. Drinking a potion involves putting the potion in a hand, setting the hand to "attack" (by left-clicking it) then attacking the air in front of you. 🤣. And left-clicking and right-clicking actions are easily confused. Right-click an item to pick up, right-click in an inventory slot to keep it. Left-click an item in inventory and it goes into a hand, but does not ready it. You must then left-click the item in your hand to ready it. Dropping an empty potion bottle involves right-clicking the item to pick up, left-clicking any readied items in your hands to UNready them, then right-clicking in the air in front of you to drop it. This is because a readied item in-hand will normally attack if you right-click in front of you.
-most of the items you come across are just window dressing. Boxes can't be opened and dropped weapons and armor from dead foes cannot be gotten (with rare exceptions).
-the GM soundtrack, while decent, is not up to the usual Origin standards either.
-there is a floppy version too. It is missing voice acting (which is not very good), and two additional end levels.

You get the idea. Also, this game is not available on GOG or Steam, so your options are buying it on ebay or "sourcing" it from the usual sites. I bought my CD on ebay for $5.

Reply 928 of 5934, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch. Took me about 75+ hours. Great game, I highly recommend it.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 929 of 5934, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got more work done on the map, but even more work cut out for me. *sighs*

Screenshots here, I don't feel like spamming the forum with 1024x768 shots everywhere

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 930 of 5934, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sat down to play Out There Somewhere and accidentally clicked on Out There: Omega Edition instead. Yes, these are two entirely different games.

I bought OT:Omega during a steam sale months ago and hadn't tried it yet, so I figured I may as well give it a go.

Four hours later, my evening was gone & I was BLOWN AWAY by it. It's a fairly casual exploration game but don't let that put you off. The music & art direction are top notch and really set the atmosphere, which absolutely makes the whole thing work. The story isn't overly deep but it's set in a fascinating broader universe based on seriously hard sci-fi concepts. The best comparison I can make is a darker, lonelier cousin to Star Control II.

My only complaints are the locations of the stars are fixed, even though their content is randomized (a semi-random universe geography based on some simple restrictions to make sure travel is possible would have been cool), and achievements don't seem to be working. But whatever.

If you like Starcon 2, Homeworld, Strange Adventures in Infinite Space (there's your obscure 68k Mac game reference of the day!) or even traditional 4X games, definitely grab this one and give it a shot.

outthere.jpg
Filename
outthere.jpg
File size
397.76 KiB
Views
File license

(And pick up 'Out There Somewhere' too while you're at it, it's like a buck and it's delightful!)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 931 of 5934, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Four hours later, my evening was gone & I was BLOWN AWAY by it. It's a fairly casual exploration game but don't let that put you off. The music & art direction are top notch and really set the atmosphere, which absolutely makes the whole thing work. The story isn't overly deep but it's set in a fascinating broader universe based on seriously hard sci-fi concepts. The best comparison I can make is a darker, lonelier cousin to Star Control II.

Sounds and looks pretty cool. Is it bogged down by ridiculous levels of micro-management like so many similar games these days? That's the main thing that could put me off.
(I like the fact that I can get it outside of Steam too.)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 932 of 5934, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:
xjas wrote:

Sounds and looks pretty cool. Is it bogged down by ridiculous levels of micro-management like so many similar games these days? That's the main thing that could put me off.

Exactly the opposite; it's super quick to learn & get into. One individual "game" doesn't take much time, but the fun is in exploring everything over multiple playthroughs.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 933 of 5934, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
VileRancour wrote:
xjas wrote:

Exactly the opposite; it's super quick to learn & get into. One individual "game" doesn't take much time, but the fun is in exploring everything over multiple playthroughs.

How about the action part? Does it have arcade action combat ala Star Control?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 934 of 5934, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

No combat at all, it's pure exploration. The challenge is in survival & resource management.

TBH I always thought the combat was the weak part of Starcon 2 (unless you had a friend to pummel on the other half of the keyboard. 😉 )

Reply 935 of 5934, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My C64 gaming phase has given way to a Sega Master System gaming phase and I must admit that the mighty SMS has the C64 beat for pretty sights and sounds. Last night I dropped Sonic 1 into the cart slot and wow that brought back some memories. Teen me did own that cart I think but I played the most Sonic on Sunday mornings at my mate’s house, bleary eyed and hung over, clocking it again and again while I waited for my lift home.

20 years on it took me a couple of goes to remember the patterns required to beat the boss fights but it’s a very easy game really, so I managed to clock it after an hour or so.

I tried the MegaDrive (Genesis) version a while back and didn’t care for it, but the SMS version is a joy and really shows off what the SMS can do. Not as addictive as Super Mario Bros but a great game all the same – varied, catchy music and millimeter perfect controls.

Next up I’ll see if I can still beat SMS Double Dragon.

Reply 936 of 5934, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

No combat at all, it's pure exploration. The challenge is in survival & resource management.

TBH I always thought the combat was the weak part of Starcon 2 (unless you had a friend to pummel on the other half of the keyboard. 😉 )

I see. Well I actually kinda like Starcon 2 combat. It's fast, it's furious, and it's pretty exciting. One of most favorite moments is killing off a Kohr-Ah Marauder from the distance using Druuge Mauler.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 937 of 5934, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I tried the MegaDrive (Genesis) version a while back and didn’t care for it, but the SMS version is a joy and really shows off what the SMS can do. Not as addictive as Super Mario Bros but a great game all the same – varied, catchy music and millimeter perfect controls.

Like you I played the master system version long before I ever played the mega drive version. I didn't like the mega drive version at first either.
I really liked the Master System version even though it is quite easy, as you say.

The biggest issue with Sonic 1 on MD/Genesis is the level progression, IMO Marble Zone just kills the game dead, its pretty much the slowest zone apart from labyrinth zone. I think they should have put Marble Zone towards the end of the game.
The first time I ever played Sonic 1 on MD was at a local indoor sports/rec centre, you could play for an hour for $1 which I often did on weekends while my sister went roller skating. I got to marble zone then decided I didn't like it, walked away and let some other kid play 😒

Sonic 2 and 3 on Md/Genesis are excellent though. Sonic 2 on master system is pretty bleh, I didn't much care for it. Sonic Chaos is quite good though, but again its a bit too easy.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 938 of 5934, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I only had a SMS for a couple of years as I bought one from a friend but sold it in '90 when the Megadrive came out in Europe. So I never played the SMS version of Sonic, although I've read it's one of the best games on the system. I remember we were all amazed by the super fast scrolling on the megadrive version, but looking back I'm not sure I enjoyed playing it that much - I think I was just very impressed by it visually. I definitely preferred playing Sonic 2 and 3.

I have nice memories of the SMS overall - worldwide it didn't enjoy the same level of popularity than the NES did but in Europe I think it didn't do too badly and there were some good titles on it.

What other SMS games did you guys enjoy playing? My favorite is Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap. Definitely one of my favorite games on any system. I also remember enjoying Kenseiden (although really hard), Psycho Fox, and R-Type.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 939 of 5934, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:

I only had a SMS for a couple of years as I bought one from a friend but sold it in '90 when the Megadrive came out in Europe. So I never played the SMS version of Sonic, although I've read it's one of the best games on the system. I remember we were all amazed by the super fast scrolling on the megadrive version, but looking back I'm not sure I enjoyed playing it that much - I think I was just very impressed by it visually. I definitely preferred playing Sonic 2 and 3.

I have nice memories of the SMS overall - worldwide it didn't enjoy the same level of popularity than the NES did but in Europe I think it didn't do too badly and there were some good titles on it.

What other SMS games did you guys enjoy playing? My favorite is Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap. Definitely one of my favorite games on any system. I also remember enjoying Kenseiden (although really hard), Psycho Fox, and R-Type.

Ohh ! I used to have a Sega Master System/Power Base in my childhood - dad bought it around 1987. I had only 5 catridges - Grand Prix, Thunder Blade, California Games, Space Harries and some kind of footbal.... And Super Hang-on was built in)

In the 1990s when 16 bit Sega was popular here - nobody believed around that a 8 bit Sega could ever exist)

Saddly I've sold it few month ago to a collector from St.Pete - I don't collect game consoles)