What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 720 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

BTW, I was a Links junkie back in the 90s. They had online ladder tournaments, and even Ryder Cup tournaments. I helped represent the US along with some of the world's best, like Paul Willey and Roger Davis. Seems like it was another lifetime.

How excellent! I didn't reaslise there were tournaments - I only "discovered" Links about 5 years ago. I played a fair bit of the real thing during the 90's - highschool / university years - but only had a copy of the MS Golf CD that came with a CD-ROM driver. That MS thing was based on Links I assume - lots of similarities - but was far less impressive.

386 Pro is a real gem - just the right amount of challenge and never cheats you. The CD version includes commentary from Bobcat Goldthwait! Fortunately you can turn it off!

I recently bought a copy of Links LS, which looks to be the next version after 386 Pro. Looking forward to trying that out when it arrives.

EDIT: what was your favorite course out of interest?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 722 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
How excellent! I didn't reaslise there were tournaments - I only "discovered" Links about 5 years ago. I played a fair bit of th […]
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:

BTW, I was a Links junkie back in the 90s. They had online ladder tournaments, and even Ryder Cup tournaments. I helped represent the US along with some of the world's best, like Paul Willey and Roger Davis. Seems like it was another lifetime.

How excellent! I didn't reaslise there were tournaments - I only "discovered" Links about 5 years ago. I played a fair bit of the real thing during the 90's - highschool / university years - but only had a copy of the MS Golf CD that came with a CD-ROM driver. That MS thing was based on Links I assume - lots of similarities - but was far less impressive.

386 Pro is a real gem - just the right amount of challenge and never cheats you. The CD version includes commentary from Bobcat Goldthwait! Fortunately you can turn it off!

I recently bought a copy of Links LS, which looks to be the next version after 386 Pro. Looking forward to trying that out when it arrives.

EDIT: what was your favorite course out of interest?

Gosh, I'm trying to remember which courses were available on Links386 (I played through Links LS2001). There's a couple of desert courses that I seem to remember really liking: Bighorn and Troon North.

Just to give you an idea of the level of skill we were playing at, we'd all pretty much made our own (or shared) club distance charts, chip charts and putt charts, complete with adjustments for wind, slope and green hardness. On 386Pro, shooting in the 50s was common. Most of us were able to get into the high 40s a couple of times. And this was on the highest difficulty and from the back tees. We pretty much hit the snap 90+% of the time. There was no variability built into the game engine, so as long as your distance chart was good, the conditions were identical, and you hit the snap, it was relatively easy to repeat hole-outs over and over.

When Links LS came out, it was much more challenging (there was a certain amount of variability introduced in the game engine), but within a few weeks people like Paul Willey were regularly shooting in the high 50s on the highest difficulty from the back tees. I think I had a few rounds in that range, but my average was low to mid 60s--good enough to be top-20 in the world (the world of online golfing in the late 1990s, at least 🤣). My favorite course on the LS platform was Kapalua Bay. BTW, I still have my Links LS original CDs and ALL the courses (it's installed on a Win98 PC that I never use). I no longer own Links386 Pro, though. I should pick it up, since I primarily game in real DOS now. Thanks for stirring up good old memories 😀

EDIT: might be fun to send each other game recordings like the old days. I'd forgotten that L386 did this. Record your round, send the file to a friend, then friend plays against your recorded round.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 723 of 5932, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
control_009.png
Filename
control_009.png
File size
42.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Guess. 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 724 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
control_009.png

Guess. 😉

Red Baron 3D (Red Baron II)?

Reply 725 of 5932, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
control_009.png

Guess. 😉

Red Baron 3D (Red Baron II)?

Nope, but close.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 727 of 5932, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sndwv wrote:

Guess. 😉

Dawn Patrol! That and Flying Corps are still great fun to play.

You are correct! 👍

Throttle and rudder support leaves a lot to be desired though. At first, throttle and rudder work, but after I hit autopilot, they never work, ever.

Reply 728 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put about an hour into Fallout 1 the past couple of days. Now I remember why I never gave this game a chance when it first came out - the interface is so unintuitive! Weird combinations of left and right clicking to get certain menu options to appear, such as Using an item on someone. But playing this game in 2017 has the advantage of a wealth of wiki sites to point out these interface shortcomings. 😉

I also had a change of heart on how I created my character. I'm going to start over and create a new one, using the first hour of gameplay as a learning experience. Funny, I did the same thing with Legend of Grimrock (realized one of my characters was poorly designed and started over after about an hour of play).

Reply 729 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Put about an hour into Fallout 1 the past couple of days. Now I remember why I never gave this game a chance when it first came out - the interface is so unintuitive! Weird combinations of left and right clicking to get certain menu options to appear, such as Using an item on someone. But playing this game in 2017 has the advantage of a wealth of wiki sites to point out these interface shortcomings. 😉

Yes the challenges of retro gaming outweigh the joys of retro gaming for me sometimes - there's a lot to be said for the modern interface / handholding when you're short on time and patience! I burnt myself out on Strife with its complicated maps and buggy save functionality so have been spoiling myself with a mix of The Witcher 3 and GTA 5 (PC versions). Such mind blowing games and you don't have to work for it - both provide you with Google maps style "following the dotted line to victory" 🤣

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 730 of 5932, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IMG-20170228-WA0042.jpg
Filename
IMG-20170228-WA0042.jpg
File size
84.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Jane's Fighters Anthology, running on:
- Windows XP 32-bit.
- CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle CH Pro Pedals.
- Sansui A-40 integrated amplifier.
- JBL L20T hi-fidelity loudspeakers.

Reply 731 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, so now that I'm used to the interface, Fallout is pretty fun! I've only gotten a few hours in (only finished Shady Sands and Vault 15 so far), but what I do like is the relaxed pace of the game. The turn-based combat is nice, there's lots of exploring and reading, thinking about choices, etc. Absolutely no platforming or FPS skills required. 😊

Nice story, and engrossing environment. I really feel like I'm exploring a post-nuclear world. But again, the pace of the game is what I like. Slow, relaxed, easy to escape out to the menu, then alt-tab to my desktop and do something else for awhile, or walk away, then alt-tab back when I'm ready to resume. The soundtrack is okay...not so much music, but more mood-enhancing ambient sounds. Nothing at all like the catchy tunes from games like Ultima or Lands of Lore, but it'll do. 😉

Reply 732 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Yes the challenges of retro gaming outweigh the joys of retro gaming for me sometimes - there's a lot to be said for the modern interface / handholding when you're short on time and patience!

Another example of the archaic interface, if you want to see a joined party member's inventory, or give/take something from their inventory, you need to use the 'Steal' skill on them. The same Steal skill that, if they were not in your party, you would use to actually try to pickpocket an NPC. I did not figure this out, I had to look it up.

Yet another quirk: when talking to a merchant, they have a "Sell" option, but that's not really true, you can only trade. So if you place items to sell, then click Offer, you won't get anything in return unless you place something from their inventory in the trade box. I basically gave a bunch of stuff away the first few times because when I put the item I wanted to sell on the trading table, it gave a value of the item below. I assumed when I hit Offer, I would automatically be given that amount in bottle caps, but turns out that doesn't happen.

Reply 733 of 5932, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Yet another quirk: when talking to a merchant, they have a "Sell" option, but that's not really true, you can only trade. So if you place items to sell, then click Offer, you won't get anything in return unless you place something from their inventory in the trade box. I basically gave a bunch of stuff away the first few times because when I put the item I wanted to sell on the trading table, it gave a value of the item below. I assumed when I hit Offer, I would automatically be given that amount in bottle caps, but turns out that doesn't happen.

And too bad it doesn't work the other way around.

Reply 734 of 5932, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replaying Super Mario Galaxy for the first time in several years. Such a great game

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 735 of 5932, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On Win98SE rig:

Quake2-3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Rogue Squadron3D
Mechwarrior3
FrontPageSports Football98

On WinXP rig:

Doom3
Quake4
Quake - DosBox
NFS - Most Wanted
Madden 2008
Star Wars Battlefront 1-2
AvP 2

Yeah...I don't have much of a life.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 736 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@buckeye - Nice mix of games there. I spent quite a bit of time with most of those back in the day. I think the only ones I never played were Rogue Squadron, MW3, Quake4, Battlefront, and AvP. I spent a ton of time on FPS Football series. Is it still fun?

Reply 737 of 5932, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

@buckeye - Nice mix of games there. I spent quite a bit of time with most of those back in the day. I think the only ones I never played were Rogue Squadron, MW3, Quake4, Battlefront, and AvP. I spent a ton of time on FPS Football series. Is it still fun?

The FPS football series has always been so addictive to me, especially the "98" version. Love creating solo leagues and using 3rd party apps to modify player ratings & schedules. Wish somebody would come up with a modern version with serious graphics but for some reason PC football has fell off the map.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 738 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

The FPS football series has always been so addictive to me, especially the "98" version. Love creating solo leagues and using 3rd party apps to modify player ratings & schedules. Wish somebody would come up with a modern version with serious graphics but for some reason PC football has fell off the map.

I loved the simulation aspect. When I played FPS Football, I don't think I even controlled the players. Full-on sim mode. 😀

I got almost halfway through Fallout, and started losing interest. The UI is just too clunky for me. So I'm taking a break (possibly permanent) from the game and have started playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I think I'm REALLY going to like this game! Never played it back in the day. My gaming started to tail off in the late 1990s, so there were a lot of good RPGs that I skipped over.

Reply 739 of 5932, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This. The full After-Action Report could be found on the thread.

Population growth means more workers, and more workers means I could expand to new economics sector previously untouched due to […]
Show full quote

Population growth means more workers, and more workers means I could expand to new economics sector previously untouched due to the need to maximize Farm Tools and Sword production. This time, I started making Coal, which in turn is required to make Iron. Iron itself one of two types of raw materials needed to make Musket.

TEHqWN1.png
I started making Iron...