Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1200 of 5928, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I broke out the 486SX 33 recently and have been loving on Jill of the Jungle and Dune 2, a couple of faves of mine. The last time I played Dune 2 was directly after a long C&C bender and the step backwards in playability was a buzz kill, but with a better attitude this time around I'm remembering how awesome this game was on release. I sucked at strategy games then and am possibly worse now so it takes me a while to clear the levels, but the graphics are beautiful, the FX and OPL3 tunes (via my PAS16) are luxurious, and the gameplay is tense and frantic.

P1030854_zpsv4to9sqx.jpg

P1030858_zpsjxqt5dne.jpg

P1030848_zpsf4zfqdyr.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1201 of 5928, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Life has gotten very busy the past couple of months (in a good way), so my gaming has been very sporadic. I've put RPGs (my favorite genre) on hiatus until I've got more time to devote to them. In the meantime, I'm still plugging away at Crusader: No Regret. I just started Mission 6, which puts me a little over half-way through the game. This is a great game to play when you've got small chunks of time and can't play more than a few hours a week. Right now, my gaming is limited to early in the mornings on Saturdays and Sundays. With that in mind, I'm planning on playing some classic first-person shooters after I finish No Regret. Candidates for my next game include Half-Life 2, Crysis, F.E.A.R., and Doom3.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1202 of 5928, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried playing Comanche 4 on my XP system but was no go - drivers problems probably. So went and got Serious Sam The 2nd Encounter off Ebay, never heard of this one until recently watching one of Phil's videos. So far it's enjoyable and funny as heck, similar to Duke Nukem but with better "eye candy".

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1203 of 5928, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:

Tried playing Comanche 4 on my XP system but was no go - drivers problems probably. So went and got Serious Sam The 2nd Encounter off Ebay, never heard of this one until recently watching one of Phil's videos. So far it's enjoyable and funny as heck, similar to Duke Nukem but with better "eye candy".

Any particular reason Comanche 4 was a no go? Works out of the box on my Windows 7 64 laptop.

Reply 1204 of 5928, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
buckeye wrote:

Any particular reason Comanche 4 was a no go? Works out of the box on my Windows 7 64 laptop.

Still looking into it, probably a driver problem but afraid to mess with that since all the other games work fine.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1205 of 5928, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not really a game but I had a go at the Titanic: Honor and Glory tech demo in UE4. It look stunning but don't expect anything more than a tech demo!

I've always been interested in the Titanic, more so since I moved to Southampton, where she departed on her maiden voyage. There is a good Titanic museum in town too 😀 Apparently part of the city will be in the full game.

A5IZTAih.png
VYvHaPih.png
LVi1x8nh.png

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1206 of 5928, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally putting some time into Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, which I got mostly because Metal Jesus was raving about it. Gameplay boils down to (1) aim the Wiimote at the screen, and (2) hold down the trigger to spam everything with bullets, with an occasional interlude of queueing up a bunch of homing missiles or hitting things with a sword. My kind of game, in other words.

Sure, it's a monumentally cheesy cross between a bullet-hell and a rail shooter, but come on, this is awesome. The graphics & environments are gorgeous, the music is full of orchestra hits and synth stabs and kicks ass, and look at it:

sin1.jpeg
Filename
sin1.jpeg
File size
78.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
sin2.jpg
Filename
sin2.jpg
File size
52.57 KiB
Views
File license
sin3.jpg
Filename
sin3.jpg
File size
52.26 KiB
Views
File license

Thankfully "easy" mode actually is easy enough that I stand a chance of getting through it. Despite the actual gameplay being not that similar, it reminds me a ton of Bangai-O on the Dreamcast (same devs), which is high goddamn praise coming from me.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1207 of 5928, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Working through Momento Mori for DOOM 2, Demon's Souls, and Genocide 2 (X68k) right now.
Momento Mori is a lot better than I expected - I heard a lot about the sequel but not the original WAD, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a lot of fun. Great music too.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 1208 of 5928, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks beautiful with max AA and AF, on Radeon HD 7770.

Skye_2018-07-22_21-37-59-21.jpg

Skye_2018-07-22_21-43-31-00.jpg

Skye_2018-07-22_21-46-55-70.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1209 of 5928, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished Gemini Rue (retro-styled point and click) last week on stream.
This week I'm starting The Novelist (narrative walking simulator).

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 1210 of 5928, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

What game is that?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1211 of 5928, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

What game is that?

Guess 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 1212 of 5928, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guess 😉

Commander Keen? Just tell him already! This isn't the 'guess the game thread' 😀

Reply 1213 of 5928, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Guess 😉

Commander Keen? Just tell him already! This isn't the 'guess the game thread' 😀

🤣

Darkened Skye (2002) on Radeon HD 7770 (2012), Windows XP SP 2. Yes, I am obsessed to run very old (3d) games on new GPUs, with maximized AA and AF.

Reply 1214 of 5928, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I too actually just got through a stint of playing Dune II again through Dosbox on my current PC. I have to ask why 'Badmojo' didn't play the game using his MT-32 though?

Anyway, aside from that game I've started into another play through of Rise of the Dragon.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 1215 of 5928, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrossBow777 wrote:

I have to ask why 'Badmojo' didn't play the game using his MT-32 though?

The OPL3 tunes in Dune II are beautiful and that's how I played it as a lad (once I got a sound card that is, PC speaker before that obviously).

I do break out the MT-32 from time-to-time but to be honest I prefer OPL3 mostly - even the humble PC speaker brings joy to my ears for certain games.

Reply 1216 of 5928, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't you need a hack to beable to use the MT-32 and SoundBlaster in tandem?

Because if I remember right, Dune 2 was one of those weird games that had mutually exclusive sound support and did limited sound effects on the MT-32 if chosen.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1217 of 5928, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep there's a patch to allow you to select MT-32 for music and Sound Blaster for FX - official tho, not hack:

http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/DuneII

Reply 1218 of 5928, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah in fact the version I have which is 1.07 I believe actually has three sound options. 1 for music, 1 for sound effects, and the 3rd for digital sound. Odd though because if you choose a card for digital sound it pretty much supercedes the other sound effects setting. We had a discussion on this not long ago, where if I chose to use my MT-32 for music and sound effects and still use sound blaster for digital sound, the MT-32 would start to slow down and show signs of buffering issues. But if I chose MT-32 for music only and sound blaster for effects and digital, then the music was fine and no such issues would occur. Same would happen on my MT-200 as well only it would specifically show MIDI errors on its screen.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 1219 of 5928, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thief 1. I am playing on an almost period correct machine (just 2 years older than the game).

I did not actually mean to play it just test the disks after I got the Big Box. But man, that game is fun and before I knew it I was already playing mission 3.... 😀

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/