Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1360 of 5944, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Allied Assault Medal of Honor? Haven't played that game in a while. I also have the expansion pack for it as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1361 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

The Allied Assault Medal of Honor? Haven't played that game in a while. I also have the expansion pack for it as well.

Yep! Getting better as I get deeper into it. Just finished Mission 3, Operation Overlord. That one took nearly 2 hrs.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1362 of 5944, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just finished Overload, that spiritual successor to Descent that came out this year. Really really excellent game, fantastic level design, music, graphics, and a fun story. Currently debating if I want to work through DUSK or something else I have stashed away in my GOG library on my PC...

On the console side of things, I got Xenogears on a whim at a Goodwill for $6 and have been loving it. I normally can't stand JRPGs but something about it appeals greatly to me. Also been very slowly working through Destiny 1 with my boyfriend. I think I enjoyed the main story more than most but it's painfully barebones, The Taken King is significantly better so far and more in line with what I remember Bungie for with the Halo and Marathon games.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 1363 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

Just finished Overload, that spiritual successor to Descent that came out this year. Really really excellent game, fantastic level design, music, graphics, and a fun story.

I'm looking forward to this one...just waiting for a sale on it. How long was the game? About how many hours do you think it took to finish?

Reply 1364 of 5944, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

I'm looking forward to this one...just waiting for a sale on it. How long was the game? About how many hours do you think it took to finish?

I'd wager somewhere around the 15 hour mark. It definitely took me a while to get through.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 1365 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

Just finished Overload, that spiritual successor to Descent that came out this year. Really really excellent game, fantastic level design, music, graphics, and a fun story. Currently debating if I want to work through DUSK or something else I have stashed away in my GOG library on my PC...

On the console side of things, I got Xenogears on a whim at a Goodwill for $6 and have been loving it. I normally can't stand JRPGs but something about it appeals greatly to me. Also been very slowly working through Destiny 1 with my boyfriend. I think I enjoyed the main story more than most but it's painfully barebones, The Taken King is significantly better so far and more in line with what I remember Bungie for with the Halo and Marathon games.

Well, I never knew of this game but now it's on my radar for the Christmas sales.

Also, I am trying to grab a copy of Forsaken but LGR's video of it made sure no copy of it left intact will ever be bought for a decent price anymore 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1366 of 5944, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Also, I am trying to grab a copy of Forsaken but LGR's video of it made sure no copy of it left intact will ever be bought for a decent price anymore 🙁

Is there something wrong with the GOG version? It's on sale right now as well.

Reply 1367 of 5944, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

I would just grab that version, I played through it a while back and it's a very, very good re-release of the game. Has all of the content of the N64 version as well if you want additional levels.

Reply 1368 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Absolutely not, I just like collecting big (or mid, or dvd) boxed versions of games if possible.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1369 of 5944, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I ended up buying one of those new fandangled Nintendo Switch consoles and picked up a few games with it. I don't keep any decent HDTVs around so I have it hooked up to my computer monitor, sooo... looks like I'll be working through the whopping two games I got for it right now, starting with Fire Emblem Warriors.

Reply 1370 of 5944, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the other game you got?

You need to get Breath of the Wild.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1371 of 5944, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
I know, I have BotW and Smash on my "to-get" list.

Reply 1372 of 5944, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
I know, I have BotW and Smash on my "to-get" list.

Is the screen better than the Wii U screen?

I am actually one of the few people who actually really enjoyed the Wii U strictly because of the awesome feature you could play most of the games directly on the GamePad controller. I had one at my bedside so when I got into bed I would just pick up the Wii U GamePad and have a blast until I passed out.

Reply 1373 of 5944, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On this case the screen is actually the system so tou can take in anywhere out of the dock. It's got one less on the Wii U though because one person can't play on the small screen while another plays on the TV. It's either docked or it's not. I don't have a problem with this though.

As for the screen specs, it's 720p and uses conductive touch-based technology (like a tablet or smartphone) instead of resistive (like the DS, 3DS, Wii U gamepad) which is a huge step up. Doesn't come with a stylus. It's not needed. I play all the time in handheld mode and it works beautifully since you're actually holding the console in your hands. The only downgrade a game gets in handheld mode that I know of is the reduction of the resolution from 1080p to 720p (actually a bit of a performance boost).

My Github

Reply 1374 of 5944, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MusicallyInspired wrote:

The only downgrade a game gets in handheld mode that I know of is the reduction of the resolution from 1080p to 720p (actually a bit of a performance boost).

I actually don't mind this to be honest. The smaller resolution works fine on the smaller screen, and the size of the screen makes dynamic resolution changing much less jarring - I didn't notice it in Fire Emblem unless I was really looking for it, unlike in docked mode where on the rare occasion it changed it was kinda obvious.

Reply 1375 of 5944, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me neither. I play mostly in handheld mode and I don't notice a thing. There were some complaints when it was first announced that 720p is too low even for a screen of that size...but...well, I say they're wrong. It works great.

My Github

Reply 1376 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still working on Stonekeep...just finished the big back and forth sequence between Feeding Grounds Levels 1 and 2 and the Dwarven Realm, freeing the dragon Vermatrix Goldenhide. I just entered the Faerie Realm. So far I've invested 30 hrs into this game, and it's been well worth it. Here's how the levels have broken down:
Level 1, Entrance and Ruins: 4 hr, 11 min
Level 2, Ruins 2nd Level: 4 hr, 5 min
Level 3, Sewers: 3 hr, 42 min
Level 4, Sharga Mines, 1st Level: 3 hr, 26 min
Level 5, Sharga Mines, 2nd Level: 1 hr, 46 min
Level 6, Entrance to the Throggi Temple: 1 hr, 25 min
Level 7, Temple of Throggi: 4 hr, 9 min
Level 8, Feeding Grounds, 1st Level: 2 hr, 12 min
Level 9, Feeding Grounds, 2nd Level: 1 hr, 53 min
Level 10, Dwarven Realm: 2 hr, 41 min
I''ve been playing for 36 days, so averaging about 50 minutes per day. Not playing every day, though. Most of my playtime has been on weekend and holiday mornings while the family is sleeping.

Also still playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I'm in Mission 4 (Behind Enemy Lines) and roughly 5.5 hrs of gameplay in. Great writing and story, but I'm disappointed with the enemy AI. Playing on Easy as always, and their idea of scaling back difficulty is for enemies not to notice you unless you attack them directly or walk right in their line of sight. I've had numerous instances where I shot an enemy with a non-silenced weapon and another enemy not 50 ft away with his back turned has no idea I'm there. As if his ear buds are turned up too high. Lots of games do Easy difficulty well, where it's still accurate and realistic feeling, but less frustrating. MOHAA is not one of them.

Reply 1377 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick update: I reached (L13) Gate of the Ancients in Stonekeep. This is about 3/4 through the game, and based on the 37 hrs I've put into it so far, it should be about a 50 hr game when finished. In MOHAA, I'm trying to exfiltrate the base at the end of the first section of the final mission. There's a limitless parade of Nazis to power my way through, and even on Easy skill level it's proven to be challenging. Much different than my earlier complaints about Easy mode being too easy. 🤣. So...I'm 10 hrs into this game, and seems like I'm pretty close to finishing. I'd say no more than 1-2 hrs left in the game.

Reply 1378 of 5944, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm replaying Descent 1 on my original Pentium PC from 1994. None of this Rebirth BS. OG Descent on vintage hardware FTW. 😏 Lots of good feels. Back then I saved a hundred times per level, but this play through I'm challenging myself: only one save at the start of a level. I'm also playing it in Hotshot, and it's a freaking hard game.

I have an original Forsaken CD. I got it soon after if came out because it looked kind of like Descent.. I don't think I ever got past the first level. It was insanely difficult. And that time limit..... I might give it another try.

Reply 1379 of 5944, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FuzzyLogic wrote:

None of this Rebirth BS.

Well no need to be rude, it's one of the better sourceport projects for first two Descent games...

FuzzyLogic wrote:

I'm also playing it in Hotshot, and it's a freaking hard game.

I can't play Descent 1 (or 2) without it being on Insane or it becomes boringly easy... heh. Descent 2 made things harder by making the robots lead their shots and able to use doors. Not to mention also pathfind stalk you through the level.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων