What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1181 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Unreal was an unbelievable game in its day. I played it to death. I should give it another play.

I guess based on conversations in other threads It's time for a replay of Ultima VII 😎

I just loaded up Exult and messed with it a bit for fun. I measured the guard pace rate at 35.6 seconds, which according to my current formula, comes out to 32 fps. Interesting. I wonder if this is a fixed rate that the Exult developers chose, or if it's the game's organic speed with frame limiting enabled?

I am very close to finishing Unreal. It does seem to be one of the longest, if not THE longest FPS I've ever played. A bit too long... 😵 I just finished the Skaarj Generator level and starting The Darkening. I'm guessing another 1-2 hrs tops before I finish? I've been playing since March 25, so what, almost 2 months? I'm ready to be done with it.

Also slowly getting into Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I'm not as into it as I'd hoped, but I think it's starting to grow on me. Also played Inca a bit last weekend and got 4 save game codes into it. I'll keep at it, it's weird and interesting enough. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1182 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A reminder to everyone that I still play and make custom content for Unreal 1, but not so much UT99.

Do you plan on playing the "expansion pack" Return to Na Pali, clueless? It's... much shorter than the standard game.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1183 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Do you plan on playing the "expansion pack" Return to Na Pali, clueless? It's... much shorter than the standard game.

Probably not, at least not right away. I'm already fighting burnout on the game. Would love to see it through, but that's about it.

Reply 1184 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish I had the retail copy of RTNP because it's UPak.u is alot less messed up than the one shipped with Unreal Gold.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1185 of 5847, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure we have a Screenshot thread? I've been playing a lot of Need for Speed Porsche 2000. Great game, looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, great presentation, in depth career mode, lovely car physics... what's not to like?

jioZBXs.png

2CffQLa.png

LUUH4rB.png

7UWCWzr.png

DT19TkO.png

great gear change!
xYKZpi6.gif
l3E2IzZ.gif
WWgHYwY.gif

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1186 of 5847, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I wish I had the retail copy of RTNP because it's UPak.u is alot less messed up than the one shipped with Unreal Gold.

I played both versions back in the day but wasn't aware of any differences. What got messed up?

Almoststew1990 wrote:
great gear change! https://i.imgur.com/xYKZpi6.gif […]
Show full quote

great gear change!
xYKZpi6.gif

I would love to see some of these old virtual cockpit racing games done in VR (maybe without the spazzy arm though. 😜 ) As far as I'm concerned, graphics were "already there" back when this was around and it should run at permanent 60+FPS on just about anything these days. All it would take is someone with access to the source code who doesn't buy into the hype that you need Pixelshader 12 and individual-blades-of-grass rendering for a good VR experience. Great game.

In other news, I installed Half Life from my original 1999 GOTY CD onto my currently only working Windows machine - a C2Q Q9300 with a GTX750TI running Win7 - and it just worked straight out of the box (literally.) I wasn't even expecting it to run, but it's fine. The only thing I couldn't get 'working' is switching it to use the right analog stick on my Xbox 360 pad instead of the left one, so I set up a good old keyboard & mouse combo and off went Dr. Freeman.

...so I guess I'm re-playing Half Life now. Got through Anomalous Materials and caused the resonance cascade failure before I had to save & quit yesterday. Fun times. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1187 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently in the arduous process of fixing up the standard "Coop Game" in Unreal with my own handpicked fixes and hardcoded hacks.

Yes I do plan to put up my own server to the world someday. Not yet though, but soon.

One of the most important changes is making it so you don't have to squint to read your Translator.

NewTranslator.png
Filename
NewTranslator.png
File size
60.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1188 of 5847, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Played and beat Crysis 1&2, never played them until now oddly enough! However Crysis 2 on Extreme really hurt my Xeon 771, temps maxed at 70c think my aio cooler is struggling with the increased GDP over the Q8400....had flashbacks to my G4 MDD

e0zer5-2.png

Reply 1189 of 5847, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really a game but Ford Driving Simulator 5.0 for MS-DOS

https://imgur.com/a/kfDf9zE

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1190 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Inca, still playing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, and about to start Crusader: No Regret. I finished Crusader: No Remorse back in late January, so I'm looking forward to more of the same.

Reply 1191 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

and about to start Crusader: No Regret. I finished Crusader: No Remorse back in late January, so I'm looking forward to more of the same.

I hope you enjoy the extra death animations that game has.

and more importantly the no limit on how many weapons you can carry!

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1192 of 5847, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Finally stopped playing Diablo 2 in February, went through Terminal Velocity in 5 days (yes, really), then took up Diablo for a while; in late April I switched back to Diablo 2. Last week I stopped again and grabbed another old favorite, Midtown Madness.

zWJlBPoh.png

Ng787y2h.png

Not as many features as the sequel Midtown Madness 2, but still a lot of fun to play IMHO 😊

While I could have used my Win98SE retro gaming PC, I decided to give myself a challenge - make Midtown Madness work in my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit PC. With 3D hardware support. And widescreen mode.

2Lwx6zsh.png

mTTJcxBh.png

SUCCESS! 😎

To accomplish this I followed the instructions here:

https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/12/11/ … idtown-madness/

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/midtown-madness/en

I will mention this only works well in Windows Vista and 7. Windows 8/8.1/10 still have issues unfortunately 😒

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 1193 of 5847, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if this thread is for retro or modern games, but, I'm playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate* on my Xbox One S that I got for free last month after renewing my Xbox Live Gold Subscription since Wednesday night.

*Turned off the blood and gore.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1194 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@bjwil1991 - all games, modern and old, welcome in this thread. 😀

As for me, I DNF'd Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. After playing it off and on for a month, I just could not get into it. I never looked forward to firing it up, despite the numerous positive reviews. The MT-32 music was great, but it was just a little too slow for me. Lots of wandering around in a desolate world with little to do from my perspective. So last night I started Anvil of Dawn and I'm already more drawn to it than Dark Sun, so hopefully this one keeps a grip on me for the next couple of months.

Also, making good progress on Crusader: No Regret. I'm almost done with Mission 2, Map 3 and it's at least as good as No Remorse.

Reply 1195 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Risen 3 for me - not a game that takes itself seriously and nor am I serious about it, but it's very easy on the eyes, the animations are good, the mechanics are surprisingly numerous and well implemented, and even the voice acting is decent in this one which is rare for a Piranha Bytes. The quests are generally quite silly but there's lots to do and the world is fun to explore:

Risen3_2018-06-08_20-05-14.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1196 of 5847, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm playing SimCity 1 since I've got the panning speed sorted thanks to slowing my VIA 733MHz CPU down (thanks helpful forum member, who's name I can't remember!)

I also completed the shareware version of Jill of the Jungle and I'm going to have to track down the full three episodes

I've been having a lot of fun playing DOS games, this is the first time I've got stuck into them instead of just messing around with hardware and benchmarking

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1197 of 5847, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I delved into Geneforge 1 while on vacation. I can understand now why it is considered one of the better RPGs. IWD Enhanced will need to "sit" for a while...

Reply 1198 of 5847, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've started Rune a few days ago and slashing my way through hordes of undead enemies as a Viking is extremely relaxing.

The level design in this game is absolutely wonderful. A lot of the levels are filled with secrets and different paths to explore and there is so much variety that I don't feel bored after hours of gameplay. Frequently changed sceneries, from very big and open levels to smaller ones were you need to find your way around locked doors and blocked paths...that's fun!
If you want, you can even outrun most of the enemies when you're low on health. But you're almost never low, since you're essentially a one-man killing machine.

The voice acting is also very good with some great villain voices and a good performance from Thor.

I'm looking forward to the sequel that is currently in the making.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 1199 of 5847, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some good ol' RCT2. I have nearly 4000+ hours invested into the RCT franchise.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K