What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2780 of 5847, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foey wrote on 2021-02-26, 07:56:

Sam and Max Hit the Road on my Cyrix MII dos machine.

Never completed as a child and not played since. I'm actually making good progress, I remember a couple of the puzzles but having a blast. Love the humor.

I also started playing it recently on my Via C3 system. I experienced lots of in-game crashes initially, however after installing the 1994 patch they went away (the patch was supposedly about fixing music in DOS but it must have had other fixes as well). The is also apparently a new exe in the 2002 release that adds anti-aliasing and more fixes, but I don't know how to find that.

Reply 2781 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a blast playing Roof Rage in Arcade mode tonight. Too bad the multiplayer for this game is dead, it's amazing silly fun.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2782 of 5847, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Lost Vikings.

An extremely well-balanced game mixing puzzle aspects with arcade and platform aspects, and the excellent-but-simple mechanic of utilising the 3 characters unique skills to collectively solve each level's problems and obstacles.

I remember playing this game when it first came out, and it was very impressive at the time. It's cool to find 28 years later that it has aged very well, and the gameplay is still top notch.

Reply 2783 of 5847, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-24, 18:52:
buckeye wrote on 2021-02-24, 15:53:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-24, 07:30:

I just binge watched The Witcher show and was totally underwhelmed by it. It still gave me the urge to try The Withcer out for the third time, and I was absolutely totally underwhelmed by it a third time as well. Now I don't even dare touch the books.

The tv series jumped around too much, didn't like some of the actor/character match ups. Geralt, Yennefer were close but the girl playing Ciri is just
too "wimpy" for me. I liked the way the striga looked in the game more than the show too.

The jumping around too much is definitely a problem, particularly because there is no way to build a time reference as to what part of the story takes place when pretty much until past halfway the season. I don't know if the showrunners wanted it to be a wondrous revelation ("Oh, so THAT is actually in the past..") but it was more a feeling of annoying confusion ("What the fuck, so these stories are set in different time frames?"). I did not enjoy the disorienting structure of the show.

the books are in order Re: What game are you playing now?

Reply 2784 of 5847, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2020-07-24, 12:23:
Don't forget you should read the stories in this order: […]
Show full quote
buckeye wrote on 2020-07-20, 12:59:

On a side note I've been pouring myself into reading the Witcher books. Currently finished Blood of Elves and just
bought Time of Contempt. Good stuff!

Don't forget you should read the stories in this order:

1. The Road with No Return
2. A Grain of Truth
3. The Lesser Evil
4. The Edge of the World
5. The Last Wish
6. Season of Storms
7. A Question of Price
8. The Witcher
9. The Voice of Reason
10. The Bounds of Reason
11. A Shard of Ice
12. Eternal Flame
13. A Little Sacrifice
14. Sword of Destiny
15. Something More
16. Saga
17. Something Ends, Something Begins

First and last hasn't been translated into English yet.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?thr … slations.16706/

Reply 2785 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just finished Eschalon: Book III and am now deciding on my next title. I have to decide whether I want to dive into another RPG, or maybe throw a First Person Shooter in before starting another RPG. Some of the titles I'm considering:
-Kingdom Come Deliverance is the only RPG I'm considering at this time
-Doom 3
-Metro: Last Light
-Tomb Raider 2013
-Bioshock 2
-Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Considering I can average about an hour a day gaming, it'll probably be about a 20-30 day detour if I play an FPS before starting KCD. I'm not sure I can wait that long to start it, so I'm leaning towards KCD. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2787 of 5847, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-02-28, 12:30:
I just finished Eschalon: Book III and am now deciding on my next title. I have to decide whether I want to dive into another R […]
Show full quote

I just finished Eschalon: Book III and am now deciding on my next title. I have to decide whether I want to dive into another RPG, or maybe throw a First Person Shooter in before starting another RPG. Some of the titles I'm considering:
-Kingdom Come Deliverance is the only RPG I'm considering at this time
-Doom 3
-Metro: Last Light
-Tomb Raider 2013
-Bioshock 2
-Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Considering I can average about an hour a day gaming, it'll probably be about a 20-30 day detour if I play an FPS before starting KCD. I'm not sure I can wait that long to start it, so I'm leaning towards KCD. 😀

If you use a guide to get the secrets in the first few levels, and max out force-speed early, you can get through Jedi Knight relatively fast. The levels are big, but they're designed around 1997 hardware, so they're not overly full. Hell, certain parts of certain levels can be skipped entirely if you try hard enough.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 2788 of 5847, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-02-26, 19:44:

Never completed as a child and not played since. I'm actually making good progress, I remember a couple of the puzzles but having a blast. Love the humor.

I also started playing it recently on my Via C3 system. I experienced lots of in-game crashes initially, however after installing the 1994 patch they went away (the patch was supposedly about fixing music in DOS but it must have had other fixes as well). The is also apparently a new exe in the 2002 release that adds anti-aliasing and more fixes, but I don't know how to find that.

Oooh nice. I'm playing from the White Label re-release, unsure if that has the patch already. I'll try and have a look through the CD.

I'm at Gator Golf and max is stuck in the dunk the beast cage!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 2789 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2021-02-28, 20:11:

If you use a guide to get the secrets in the first few levels, and max out force-speed early, you can get through Jedi Knight relatively fast. The levels are big, but they're designed around 1997 hardware, so they're not overly full. Hell, certain parts of certain levels can be skipped entirely if you try hard enough.

Thanks. I ended up starting Doom 3. This is another game I had when it was released, got through a couple of hours of it, then moved on to another game. This time I'm finishing it. Actually, if I remember correctly, I mainly used Doom 3 as a benchmark back then. 😉

Reply 2790 of 5847, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-12-19, 08:55:

Half Life 2 was the biggest hyperbole hype train I ever played. Incredibly bad, boring, [LOADING...] scripted and linear gameplay, some of the most attrocious [LOADING...] driving and platforming sections in any game I [LOADING...] played and a shitty anticlimactic cliffhanger ending to a mediocre story that never ended up going anywhere.

I just started yet another run off this and episodes 1 and 2. It's interesting so see how limited the game is after all the open world games and their maps we've had in the past 10 years. Still, after all this time I sort of enjoy the atmosphere it has, even though it's quite a short game once you know what to do and where to go. Many of the problems are obviously due to hardware limitations of the time. I wish they'd put more searchable areas and physics puzzles as the driving/boating scenes are pretty dull. Other than that, there's a lot of variety and the maps are mostly interesting (if rather desolated) so it's still an enjoyable game to run through.

Reply 2792 of 5847, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foey wrote on 2021-03-02, 09:46:

Oooh nice. I'm playing from the White Label re-release, unsure if that has the patch already. I'll try and have a look through the CD.

Would you be able to tell me the exe date and size in byte of the DOS exe on that white label release? Trying to figure out what the latest DOS version is.

Reply 2793 of 5847, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-03-03, 08:52:

Would you be able to tell me the exe date and size in byte of the DOS exe on that white label release? Trying to figure out what the latest DOS version is.

Sure,

SAM.EXE 108,796 30/03/94 10:44

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 2794 of 5847, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve been meaning to return to Ultima VI since March of last year. I beat it back when it launched, but have just gotten stuck/lost on my recent play through. I’ve thought about looking at a hint, but I have such a hard time with that idea. On the one hand it feels like I’m cheating myself, but on the other hand, if I don’t, then I’m sorta cheating myself out of seeing this game through to the end and I really want to experience it fully again.

It’s basically what I do if I get stuck - stop playing, rather than ask for help. And I need to change that (Monkey Island is another).

Reply 2795 of 5847, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foey wrote on 2021-03-03, 13:37:
Sure, […]
Show full quote
kolderman wrote on 2021-03-03, 08:52:

Sure,

SAM.EXE 108,796 30/03/94 10:44

Cheers - I also have one from '94 but a slightly different size. Not sure the difference.

Reply 2796 of 5847, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Star Wars X-Wing Alliance w/ upgrade mod. The learning curve on this one is steep, for me anyways.
The updated graphics are pretty sweet. For those that dare:

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/index.php?action=news

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2797 of 5847, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is why I don't like modern console like games where you have to wait for a checkpoint and cannot save.
I have to quit when time is up and lose progress.

Doom 3 was good. Only one expansion though.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2798 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cliffclaven wrote on 2021-03-03, 17:06:

I’ve been meaning to return to Ultima VI since March of last year. I beat it back when it launched, but have just gotten stuck/lost on my recent play through. I’ve thought about looking at a hint, but I have such a hard time with that idea. On the one hand it feels like I’m cheating myself, but on the other hand, if I don’t, then I’m sorta cheating myself out of seeing this game through to the end and I really want to experience it fully again.

It’s basically what I do if I get stuck - stop playing, rather than ask for help. And I need to change that (Monkey Island is another).

I'm the opposite. Before I even start a game, I pull up a few different sites on the game (video and text walkthrus, player creation guides, maps, etc) and am not shy about referring to them as needed. For me, it makes games more enjoyable and less frustrating. But I'm old and have little time for gaming (~7 hours a week) so I want to make the most of my gaming time.

Reply 2799 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2021-03-03, 23:01:
That is why I don't like modern console like games where you have to wait for a checkpoint and cannot save. I have to quit when […]
Show full quote

That is why I don't like modern console like games where you have to wait for a checkpoint and cannot save.
I have to quit when time is up and lose progress.

Doom 3 was good. Only one expansion though.

Agreed. And I don't really care about expansions. I don't usually play them (Half-Life 2 was an exception because the story was so interesting to me).