User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-04-16, 05:02:
BetaC wrote on 2024-04-16, 03:44:
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-04-16, 00:17:

What version of Fallout 1 has a tardis?

It's an extremely low chance random encounter, like the aliens and the Used Car Salesman that has the very OP Christmas Story BB Gun.

Haha! Never knew this, thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome.

appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-16, 05:46:

It's an extremely low chance random encounter, like the aliens and the Used Car Salesman that has the very OP Christmas Story BB Gun.

I had the aliens encounter but never got the Tardis one despite two playthroughs. Interesting.

Just wait until you find the redshirts in Fallout 2.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 5921 of 5962, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2024-04-17, 04:36:

I had the aliens encounter but never got the Tardis one despite two playthroughs. Interesting.

The Whats?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5922 of 5962, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having high Luck and the Explorer perk can help with getting special encounters.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5923 of 5962, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The last game I was playing before I lost the mainboard of my Voodoo 3 System was Deus Ex. The atmosphere of the game is still awesome and I want to replay the game as soon as my system is back from a repair or until I find new mainboard.

The only fun thing is that Deus Ex did not run that well on my system despite the fact I am using specs that are way over the recommended system specs ( I have a p3 800 mhz, V3 3000 AGP, 256 mb ram) Another funny thing is that the game is way more darker in the software mode, direct 3d compared to the glide mode.

That's a not big issue for me because I as V3 user, Glide is the way to go for my anyway.

Reply 5924 of 5962, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-17, 06:19:
BetaC wrote on 2024-04-17, 04:36:

The Whats?

Fo2_Trekguy_2.png
Filename
Fo2_Trekguy_2.png
File size
863 Bytes
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's actually two different TOS references. The other is on the edge of forever.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 5926 of 5962, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just beaten Titanic: Adventure Out of Time! Didn't get the happy ending, as I failed one of the objectives though 😒

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim model, 500GB HDD, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 5927 of 5962, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
predator_085 wrote on 2024-04-17, 06:44:

The last game I was playing before I lost the mainboard of my Voodoo 3 System was Deus Ex. The atmosphere of the game is still awesome and I want to replay the game as soon as my system is back from a repair or until I find new mainboard.

The only fun thing is that Deus Ex did not run that well on my system despite the fact I am using specs that are way over the recommended system specs ( I have a p3 800 mhz, V3 3000 AGP, 256 mb ram) Another funny thing is that the game is way more darker in the software mode, direct 3d compared to the glide mode.

That's a not big issue for me because I as V3 user, Glide is the way to go for my anyway.

The glide drivers are often set 1.3 gamma rather than 1.0 by default.

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 5928 of 5962, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made a bit of progress in BioShock Infinite but I encountered an unexpected issue. Turns out the game gives me motion sickness when I play with a keyboard and mouse. I googled this, and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. I think it has something to do with how the game makes the camera sway while the character is jumping/falling/grabbing onto a sky rail. Weird thing is, I never had that problem with the previous two BioShock games.

Anyway, to counteract this, I plugged in my Xbox360 controller. And sure enough, controlling the camera using the analog stick feels a lot smoother. I also manually forced VSync to "Adaptive - Half Refresh Rate" in the Nvidia driver panel, which made the game run at 30 FPS. These settings match the console experience, and thankfully I no longer feel sick while playing.

I just reached Monument Island where I'm supposed to find that girl. Further googling indicates that the game autosaves whenever you enter a new area for the first time, so I'll leave it there for now. I still hate this checkpoint system.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 5929 of 5962, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-18, 17:08:

Made a bit of progress in BioShock Infinite but I encountered an unexpected issue. Turns out the game gives me motion sickness when I play with a keyboard and mouse. I googled this, and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. I think it has something to do with how the game makes the camera sway while the character is jumping/falling/grabbing onto a sky rail. Weird thing is, I never had that problem with the previous two BioShock games.

Anyway, to counteract this, I plugged in my Xbox360 controller. And sure enough, controlling the camera using the analog stick feels a lot smoother. I also manually forced VSync to "Adaptive - Half Refresh Rate" in the Nvidia driver panel, which made the game run at 30 FPS. These settings match the console experience, and thankfully I no longer feel sick while playing.

I just reached Monument Island where I'm supposed to find that girl. Further googling indicates that the game autosaves whenever you enter a new area for the first time, so I'll leave it there for now. I still hate this checkpoint system.

Seems like you solved the problem, but it's worth mentioning that lower FOV settings can also make people nauseous. I remember playing Half Life 2 in 15 minute sessions because I would get sick pretty quickly.

Reply 5930 of 5962, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-04-18, 17:15:

Seems like you solved the problem, but it's worth mentioning that lower FOV settings can also make people nauseous. I remember playing Half Life 2 in 15 minute sessions because I would get sick pretty quickly.

Yeah, that came up when I was googling the issue. Unfortunately, even maxing out the FOV slider in the game options didn't help me. But using a controller and limiting the FPS to 30 seems to have done the trick.

Normally, I almost never feel motion sickness when playing FPS games. But for some reason, BioShock Infinite triggered it right away.

Reply 5931 of 5962, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been enjoying some of my favorite Atari classics via the "Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration" on Steam. Probably the best collection they've released to date.

Spent a lot of time playing their remix version of Yars Revenge, a game I played way too much back in the day.

Also played a lot of Dark Chambers on the 7800, probably my favorite 7800 game, and that's saying something considering I never really liked the 7800, but I always liked Dark Chambers. 😀

Attachments

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 5932 of 5962, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Things are moving forward in BioShock Infinite now that I've gotten over the motion sickness. Having two characters working together is interesting. The dynamic between Booker and Elizabeth kind of reminds me of Joel and Ellie from The Last Of Us. Both games were released around the same time, so it's unlikely that one influenced the other, but the similarities are there.

So far, I don't find the combat in this game particularly enjoyable. In some ways, it feels like a downgrade from the first two BioShock games. For example, you can only hold two weapons at the same time, which limits your tactical options. The "magic" also feels less powerful here. My biggest gripe is with the level design, as you're expected to hop around those sky rails while enemies shoot you from all possible directions, including from above and below. It's not very difficult, just confusing and tedious.

Anyway, I have boarded the airship and met with the Vox Pupuli. Not sure how far along that is, but it feels like I've made some progress.

Reply 5933 of 5962, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

your profile icon of netscape reminds me of playing web chess

iami

Reply 5934 of 5962, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made it to Comstock's house in BioShock Infinite. Things are progressing faster than I initially expected. I will say, the story got a bit too outlandish for my taste, with the alternate realities and all. It's not quite Kojima levels of crazy, but it's not too far off either.

Combat continues to be chaotic and unenjoyable. I chose the RPG and the rifle for my two main weapons, and have been upgrading them steadily. They seem to be working well enough for now, with the RPG being useful for larger enemies like the Handymen, and the rifle serving to scope out opponents from a distance. Magic wise, I mostly stuck with fire and shock. The other powers don't strike me as super useful.

Not sure if this game has multiple endings based on your choices like the last two, but I chose the good path whenever there was a prompt. On that note, despite its larger outdoor areas, this game feels more "on rails" than its predecessors. It's almost like an interactive movie where the player is just along for the ride, with some tedious combat sequences sprinkled in. Be that as it may, I think I'm getting close to the finish line, at least it feels like that's what the story is building up to.

Reply 5935 of 5962, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diablo II rant incoming.

I'm a simple guy, I just want to wear the heaviest armor and beat things with a sword. This means I've always went with a melee fighter types in RPG/ARPG's, ranged/wizardy types just don't do it for me. And I find this a bit of a problem in Diablo II.

"Ranged, sir? Come in, come in!"
"A summoner, sir! Please come in, pleased to have you here sir, have a seat sir!"
"Oi! You! Are you a fucking melee?! Get the hell out of here you damn degenerate!"

Enemies that run away. Not only do I find it disproportionately annoying, its also made worse by the fun fact running yourself drops your defense to 0 and blocking with your shield to 1/3. Have fun running after them! I nearly got a stroke in Act V with those fireballing little shits. Also a big fan of running after an enemy, swinging and missing because the enemy kept running, running after it again, missing again, rinse and repeat.

Enemies that blow at your face when you kill them or shoot charged bolts at every direction EVERY SINGLE TIME you hit them. Enjoy Act II post patch 1.10, there's only about a billion of lightning enhanced beetles there now.

Most dangerous enemy abilities are melee/close range things, while melee is getting roasted and slowed down ranged is laughing at a distance

Ranged have easier time picking off enemies that resurrect others while melee has to wade through a horde first to get to them. Or run past them. Remember what running did to defense and block chance?

Sigh. I know nothing stops you from using a ranged weapon as a side weapon, but like I said, simple guy, just want to beat things with a sword. And I really don't enjoy running away from things. So it's definitely also a me problem, not just the game designs fault. I suppose this is just an example of how your own preferences can change with time, I used to love the game but now it's turning into love/hate relationship. Oh well.

Reply 5937 of 5962, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished BioShock Infinite. There was a pretty big difficulty spike near the very end, when you're supposed to protect the power core of an airship from multiple enemy waves. It's not hard in the sense that you'll get wiped out. More so, it's difficult to keep the enemies from damaging the core, which has a health bar of its own. If that gets depleted, it's game over. I actually had some trouble getting through this section with a controller, so I swapped back to keyboard + mouse, and then cleared it effortlessly. Turns out this is the final battle sequence in the game, so I guess the devs felt the need to amp things up.

After that, you get treated to a few M. Night Shyamalan style plot twists, and then the credits roll. There's also a small post credits scene if you're patient enough to sit through the whole thing. All in all, I didn't like this game as much as the previous two entries in the series. I was never a fan of the "alternate reality/multiverse" type stories, and this one sure fits the bill. Didn't help that the combat seemed like a downgrade from the previous games, and felt very unsatisfying overall.

On the plus side, BioShock Infinite didn't crash on me even once, which was a pleasant surprise as the first two games crashed regularly on that same PC. The graphics and the overall art design are excellent, and remain enticing even to this day. Sound design was also consistently good, and having a talkative protagonist like Booker (and Elizabeth) was a welcome change from the first two games.

I think I'll try the "Burial at Sea" DLC next since it sort of ties into the main story, at least from what I've been told.

Reply 5938 of 5962, by DudeFace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-14, 19:08:

I finally got Command & Conquer: The First Decade installed on my Athlon XP system. Have played a little bit of each of them, but want to start playing thru Generals/Zero Hour again. I did play through them when they came out and still have my save files!

if you wernt aware theres a few patches and updates that add stuff from different versions of the game, the "red alert 303 patch" is a no-cd patch that works with first decade and it also fixes some bugs on missions, theres "red alert The Lost Files Videos v3-en" this adds FMV's from the playstation thats not present in the pc version, theres "firestorms videos update" which enables some FMV's present in the game but unused, theres also "CnCTFD-px777" which are no-cd patches for the other games except renegade, and theres the main patch "tfd-103-rev4" this patch i think is the one that adds missions from the playstation and N64 versions of the game, also a shortcut for the funpark dino missions. check which order they install in tho, i forget.

Reply 5939 of 5962, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-21, 12:04:

I think I'll try the "Burial at Sea" DLC next since it sort of ties into the main story, at least from what I've been told.

Tried this briefly. You get to revisit Rapture and can even carry multiple weapons at once, which is nice. However, the game still uses the shitty checkpoint system. After a while, I got stuck in an airlock, and lost 15-20 minutes of progress due to the last autosave being far away. Googling indicates it's a common plot critical bug (WTF!?) with this DLC so I noped out. Don't want to waste my time on this buggy mess.