Topic actions

Reply 740 of 5977, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
control_009.png

Guess. 😉

Ahhh ! Dawn Patrol ! I liked that game a lot about 1996... We had pirate CDs here in sale in mid-late 1990s- so called "classic fond" series - hundred games for 3-5$ a disk)))) On the 3d disk there was that game - I spent a lot of hours playing it on my Pentium-1 Digital Starion 300i.

Reply 741 of 5977, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ScoutPilot19 wrote:
control_009.png

Guess. 😉

Ahhh ! Dawn Patrol ! I liked that game a lot about 1996... We had pirate CDs here in sale in mid-late 1990s- so called "classic fond" series - hundred games for 3-5$ a disk)))) On the 3d disk there was that game - I spent a lot of hours playing it on my Pentium-1 Digital Starion 300i.

Thou art correct. The game, however, didn't run smoothly on my Pentium 100.

Now, how about this one? Could anyone guess?

hXt1EYN.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 742 of 5977, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thou art correct. The game, however, didn't run smoothly on my Pentium 100. […]
Show full quote
ScoutPilot19 wrote:
control_009.png

Guess. 😉

Thou art correct. The game, however, didn't run smoothly on my Pentium 100.

Now, how about this one? Could anyone guess?

hXt1EYN.jpg

North Vs. South - I think I had a demo of that on some CD-ROM somewhere that came with a huge pack of games

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 743 of 5977, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote:

North Vs. South - I think I had a demo of that on some CD-ROM somewhere that came with a huge pack of games

Nope, but close. Here's a clue: the game is designed by Sid Meier. 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 744 of 5977, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gettysburg! Last time I played this thing was almost 30 years ago ;]

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 745 of 5977, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blackmasked wrote:

Gettysburg! Last time I played this thing was almost 30 years ago ;]

Indeed. Too bad the game doesn't support 3D acceleration --anti-aliasing and such.

Reply 746 of 5977, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got around to finishing QUBE - Director's Cut which I bought over a year ago. Was able to find all three secret puzzles on my first playthrough. 😉 Great game, owes a lot to Antichamber (they even acknowledge the creator of that in the credits) so highly recommended if you're into that sort of thing.

QUBE2.jpg
Filename
QUBE2.jpg
File size
54.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 748 of 5977, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dragon Quest VIII remake on 3DS. I did not finish when it came out the first time on PS2 so this is my chance to do it now. I am enjoying it a lot. Already 30 hours in, but I think I have to put about 60 more at least.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 749 of 5977, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Beegle wrote:

Anyone else playing Thimbleweed Park?
2 hours in, and I love it.

Watching Sips of the Yogscast play it if that counts. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 750 of 5977, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Minecraft, again - and Space Engineers. Love sandboxing!

I'm playing both on my self-hosted dedicated server, HP Proliant ML350 G6 with Debian (S.E. server runs on Win7 VM in VirtualBox). Must find the time to continue with another GREAT indie game, Evochron Legacy.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 751 of 5977, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Motivated by a 'lets play' on another forum I fired up Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness on my P166MMX recently – fun! It really is a quality product and works happily with FakeCD which is always nice – I try and avoid having a disk in the drive whenever possible. You don’t get red book music with FakeCD obviously but from within the in-game options menu there was an option to turn off CD music, and lovely GM music immediately filled the room (via my NEC XR385). The game also recognised my Crystal based (ISA) sound card’s MSS capabilities without incident so I’m being treated to 16 bit audio – twice as good as 8 bit!

The awful 90’s cut scenes are much appreciated, as are the SVGA graphics and general attention to detail – light coming on when mining, etc.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 753 of 5977, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah War II is classic! Warcraft 1 is also good, but not as amazing a game as the second. One RTS that I just recently tried was Dark Reign: The Future of War and was pleasantly surprised to see it actually wasn't too bad! It's quite fun and has a nice soundtrack. Perhaps not the same level as C&C and Warcraft but definitely more than playable and fun. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 754 of 5977, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got to Chapter 7 on Baldur's Gate. This is the final chapter of the game. It's been quite a ride, and looking forward to putting the hurt on Sarevok.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 755 of 5977, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Just got to Chapter 7 on Baldur's Gate. This is the final chapter of the game. It's been quite a ride, and looking forward to putting the hurt on Sarevok.

Replay, or first-time play? Either way that game is awesome.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 756 of 5977, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Replay, or first-time play? Either way that game is awesome.

First time. 😎

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 757 of 5977, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While working to finish Dragon Quest VIII I have started playing Mass Effect 4 (on the PS4). I must say I like this game so far. I am a big fan of Mass Effect games (having finished ME2 twice, and half way through the 3rd playthrough, and ME3 once).

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 758 of 5977, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wj2QwKz.jpg

Despite its old age, the game works fine on Windows XP. And despite being an early Direct3D accelerated game, perhaps only slightly younger than MDK or Monster Truck Madness, it runs flawlessly on modern era GPU. Imagine how great the DEMON-1 terrain engine with maximized AA and AF.

Despite all that, I haven't gone far with the game. Why is that? Because the game just couldn't detect USB joystick! My joystick is detected properly on Windows, yet the game just cannot see it. Yes, you can choose 'joystick' as default controller from within the game, but you cannot calibrate it --the 'calibrate' button remains unclickable even after you choose joystick from the game configuration, and once you're in-flight, you can only use keyboard to control the aircraft, which is very sluggish and impractical to do so.

After Googling for a while, I read that the game crashed when you have a USB joystick plugged into your system, so that people dig up their old gameport joystick --as well as necessary gameport-equipped sound card- just to play the game. Well, mine does not crash. It just fails to detect a plugged-in USB joystick.

Anyway, could anyone guess what the game is?

Reply 759 of 5977, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can’t remember how it came about but I’ve found myself replaying a favourite of mine – Risen by Piranha Bytes, which was released in 2009. Piranha Bytes of course are the Gothic guys and when they lost the rights to that product after Gothic 3, the created the new Risen IP, which is basically Gothic 2 with a nicer engine and based in a different (yet all too familiar) world. The mechanics are the same, world design, etc. It was love at first site for me (there was a demo released).

I know PB’s games aren’t for everyone but for the most part I just adore them – my only issue is PB’s infantile representation of women. In Risen (and the Gothic’s) they’re mostly whining wives or prostitutes. But otherwise I really dig on the slow pace, the atmosphere, music, open world, and the relatively tactical real time combat – particularly against humans.

I’m using a couple of mods to improve the texture quality, a 4GB patch, and a number if INI tweaks to push out draw distance, etc. Risen 2 is also enjoyable, Risen 3 not so much. I’m really looking forward to PB’s next effort called ELEX – a sci fi open world thing. Could be great or could fail miserably, time will tell.

bc96024be3062c684554e4885a63db7c.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.