VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You see an item for sale on ebay that you know is incredibly hard to find and the price is good so you immediately click the BIN knowing it is a good deal but then you notice that other people have expressed an interest in the item by asking questions or making offers instead of immediately jumping on the BIN price, which was already an incredible bargain.

It makes you wonder what these people are thinking wasting time asking questions or making lowball offers on an item that is already undervalued instead of making sure it doesn't get away from them by taking advantage of the BIN price.

Last edited by sliderider on 2013-05-27, 11:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

It makes you wonder what these people are thinking wasting time asking questions or making lowball offers on an item that is already undervalued instead of making sure it doesn't get away from them by taking advantage of the BIN price.

Or maybe they're just thinking that because the item is hard to find and the price is good that there must be a catch of some sort.

P.S. Write better subject lines. 😒

Reply 4 of 18, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People are greedy by default and want to squeeze every last penny out of potentially getting something, regardless of anything. :P

I agree with Slide though. If something has a good price on eBay and you want it, but it has both "Buy It Now" and "Make An Offer", skip making an offer and just buy the damn thing! ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 18, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simple, every person has a different idea of what a hard to find item is worth to them. A great deal to you might be too expensive for me. Some people just buy from ebay and don't know there are other places to find the same stuff at a better discount, and some people just wait for a better deal to come around.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 18, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there are other times when people don't know what the hell they are listing. I'm pretty big on MXM cards and have been let down a few times from improperly listed items. "HOLY CRAP!" "pfftt it's MXM 3.0 $*&#'$ retards".

Reply 7 of 18, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree when something is cheap and has a buy it now offer & make an offer, I'll often buy it outright before somebody else does.

I bought my brand new boxed Gainbery GB-5x86-120(cyrix) I remember like this, Had a buy it now price for $99 & make an offer, I think I offered $50 which got rejected, It was really playing on my mind and I thought "Are you stupid just buy the bloody thing before somebody else does you may never see anyone like this again or for the same price", that was it $99 later it was mine, It wasn't worth taking the risk of saving a few dollars I wouldn't forgive myself.

Reply 8 of 18, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

once at work we were working on proprietary computer for an automated system with a Pentium 4 based board. My boss actually found a new board on ebay and decided to make an offer, the offer was rejected and the auction taken down, then re listed at notably higher higher price. about 100-200 USD higher.

Reply 9 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

Simple, every person has a different idea of what a hard to find item is worth to them. A great deal to you might be too expensive for me. Some people just buy from ebay and don't know there are other places to find the same stuff at a better discount, and some people just wait for a better deal to come around.

absolutely. most probably a deal to the OP or someone else is what I would call a rip-off. Its quite subjective

there are many other variables at play here too....like a budget?

if there's a real bargain of course BIN.

however I'm sure all the ebay sellers out there like "wiredforservice" and "gwenrich" would LOVE you all to use BIN and never send offers or ask questions.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MICROTECH-MB-8433U … =item35c5bef8bf

Reply 10 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:
absolutely. most probably a deal to the OP or someone else is what I would call a rip-off. Its quite subjective […]
Show full quote
Unknown_K wrote:

absolutely. most probably a deal to the OP or someone else is what I would call a rip-off. Its quite subjective

there are many other variables at play here too....like a budget?

if there's a real bargain of course BIN.

however I'm sure all the ebay sellers out there like "wiredforservice" and "gwenrich" would LOVE you all to use BIN and never send offers or ask questions.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MICROTECH-MB-8433U … =item35c5bef8bf

If you see a Cyrix MII 433 for $10 or a Voodoo 5 5500 for $20 are you going to argue with the seller about the price or just buy it before someone else does? I'm not talking about guys like wiredforservice whose prices are obviously too high, I'm talking about sellers whose prices are below trends. Most of the time for common items you can establish a trend simply by doing a completed listings search and seeing what people are actually paying. For items that don't come up often, you have to rely on your own observations of what they have been selling for to establish a trend for that item in your own mind. If you've been searching for a particular item for a while, then you have most likely been keeping up with prices that item has sold for in the past anyway so you already know what it's worth. If you're not keeping up with current prices, then yes, you are likely going to get ripped off and deservedly so.

Reply 11 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:

I feel somewhat responsible for this...

Since we are venting our eBay emotions today, what really bothers me is eBay sellers who penny pinch on your "make an offer". After some discussion, I offer $46 for an item which is only $5 below the BIN. The response is "make it $47 and its yours". This is not a rare item, but the seller thinks it is. There is another guy selling it for a lot cheaper, but I need to find the standard height slot bracket. Of course, I walked away; in fact, I abandoned the whole idea.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
rgart wrote:

I feel somewhat responsible for this...

Since we are venting our eBay emotions today, what really bothers me is eBay sellers who penny pinch on your "make an offer". After some discussion, I offer $46 for an item which is only $5 below the BIN. The response is "make it $47 and its yours". This is not a rare item, but the seller thinks it is. There is another guy selling it for a lot cheaper, but I need to find the standard height slot bracket. Of course, I walked away; in fact, I abandoned the whole idea.

And to think I pulled one of mine out of a scrap gold listing. 🤣

Reply 13 of 18, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used offers for items I wanted that were priced like crazy. Years ago I wanted some backup 1.3Gb 5.25" MO drives a seller had listed as IBM tape drives. He wanted $50 each for them and had a dozen or more that haven't moved any in years. I think I finally got him to accept $20 each for 3 of them shipped. Later on he jacked the BIN price to $100+ for the rest of them.

I would spend $20 for a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, the AGP are not that rare are they (I have one I purchased new still in box with the free mousepad)? I was lucky and got a rarer 4500 PCI in a junk rig somebody gave me for free.

Prices for vintage gear is getting pretty stupid lately.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

I used offers for items I wanted that were priced like crazy. Years ago I wanted some backup 1.3Gb 5.25" MO drives a seller had listed as IBM tape drives. He wanted $50 each for them and had a dozen or more that haven't moved any in years. I think I finally got him to accept $20 each for 3 of them shipped. Later on he jacked the BIN price to $100+ for the rest of them.

I would spend $20 for a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, the AGP are not that rare are they (I have one I purchased new still in box with the free mousepad)? I was lucky and got a rarer 4500 PCI in a junk rig somebody gave me for free.

Prices for vintage gear is getting pretty stupid lately.

Voodoo 5's usually run in the $80-$100 range in PCI. AGP might be $10-$20 less with the Mac version going a bit higher. It wasn't that popular when it was new because it was late and some potential buyers couldn't wait and when it finally did arrive it was already outclassed by the GF2 and Radeon, which cost them even more potential sales.

Reply 15 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no.

THE most annoying thing in ebay is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390601620898

Basically, something you would sell a kidney for, and its super cheap, but its the wrong item in the box.

I have the WORST case of blue-balls right now, words cannot describe it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 16 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He must have updated the listing because it says in the listing that the box isn't the one that originally came with the item but all it says as far as the item goes is CPU cooling fan. What did it say before?

Reply 18 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

some sellers have it set so that if you send an offer ...for example 5-10% lower than the buy-it-now price it auto accepts.

So it never hurts to send an offer before you buy-it-now