VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys, I would like to hear your opinions on this sound card.
I have the chance to get it for 20euros including shipping.
Is it worth it? Is it a good substitute to a SB16?
I'm planning on punting it on a windows95 game rig. 200MMX

ensoniqsoundscapeeliteu.jpg

From what I've read, FM is not so good. But MIDI is quite impressive, being the sound quite similar to the yamaha style DB50X's

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-05-27, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MIDI is very good, Native mode is very good also. SB emulation is very bad. Not a substitute for a SB16 at all. It's a card to complement an existing one.

Reply 2 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quite a few games support the Soundscape natively. E.g. you in Descent you select Soundscape and it all works.

The MPU401 interface is of interest though. While it is not fully intelligent mode compatible, it works with most "difficult" games like Wing Commander and Sierra games.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soundscape's signal quality is significantly better than any ISA Creative card I've used. Much better analog circuitry and DAC. So the native mode is quite nice.

I'd put the MIDI quality on par with contemporary Yamaha and Roland hardware. Like any MIDI hardware it has its weaknesses of course.

For SB compatibility you definitely don't want to use the emulation. Throw in a SBPro or SB16.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Soundscape Elite was one of the first soundcards I ever went out of my way to try and obtain, well over ten years ago now. Despite the exceptional sound quality and effects capabilities, I don't consider the versatility of the synth engine to be anywhere near the level of Roland and Yamaha's contemporary offerings.

That said, for 20 EUR, you'd best grab it. 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah when I said I feel Soundscape Elite is on par with contemporaries I was talking only from the perspective of playing various games. It's entirely subjective of course. And this isn't meaning that they are all amazing, but that they all have different sample weaknesses in games.

I'm also ignoring options like a RAM-loaded AWE that can potentially load a far superior patch set.

Actually these days I often prefer OPL3 FM over the quirky old wavetable cards.