VOGONS

Common searches

Just an important heads up

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 302 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Dominus wrote:

Qbix are there restrictions in the DOSBox guide forum for editing posts for normal users? Truth5678 isn't able to edit the post I moved there Re: DOSBox and MIDI music

Yeah, I think that given the nature of the guides, that this isn't a bad restriction

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 307 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to post saved drafts directly back into the thread where it was saved from (via a button)? Either I don't know how to do it, or that functionality is not there. I could only view and edit my drafts. I guess I should just copy and paste?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 308 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not very intuitive, but after you click the "Load draft" button, the next screen it loads has a "Load draft" header that lists your saved drafts right below it. Just click on the draft title you want to load and it will load it in the message editor pane.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 310 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To what god do I have to sacrifice to get image attachments to display embedded, inline? 😀
Re: Vital MF002BR 8-bit sound card

Preferably, I'd also like to have embedded images that are larger than the browser window auto-fit to width of window. I'm currently limited to a 1366x768 display and frequently recently embedded images (attached or not) are larger than that and force me to scroll.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 312 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Are you just linking to it using the [img] tag or are you adding the image file as an attachment?

The second. Did you look at my post? 😀

The first time I wrote the post, I embedded images from another site. Then I decided the site could always go down, and thus removed the embed and added them as attachments.

Still, "View inline" should view inline, if the forum software understands them.

Stiletto

Reply 313 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Odd. This is not normal behavior for phpBB3.

test:

Filename
vital_soundcard.jpg
File size
180.21 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: I tried it on SHP and it does display: http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3935 It must be some setting in the Administrator's Control Panel, which I haven't had access to since it was moved from the test board.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 314 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:
Odd. This is not normal behavior for phpBB3. […]
Show full quote

Odd. This is not normal behavior for phpBB3.

test:

vital_soundcard.jpg

Edit: I tried it on SHP and it does display: http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3935 It must be some setting in the Administrator's Control Panel, which I haven't had access to since it was moved from the test board.

Dear Qbix,
Please fix when you can.

Happy Easter,
Stiletto 😀

PS. Qbix, any idea why - as a moderator - I could not fix this formatting in kithylin's 2011 post earlier?
I saw it - it annoyed me - I tried over and over to fix. I could only get it to work in a new post.
Something weird with the forum import?
Re: Rendition Verite in pure dos help please?

Stiletto

Reply 316 of 325, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
The second. Did you look at my post? :) […]
Show full quote
collector wrote:
Are you just linking to it using the tag or are you adding the image file as an attachment? […]
Show full quote

Are you just linking to it using the file.php?mode=view&id=14451&sid=df1e65df6cb979e4335f911aeb6f5fbe

The second. Did you look at my post? 😀

The first time I wrote the post, I embedded images from another site. Then I decided the site could always go down, and thus removed the embed and added them as attachments.

Still, "View inline" should view inline, if the forum software understands them.

Yeah 'place inline' is misleading. Maybe that's why they didn't call it as 'view inline'.

Alternatively, I upload the image and copy the link address and use the 'Img' option instead of 'attachment' for embedded display like below. Hope this is what is being discussed.

file.php?mode=view&id=14451&sid=df1e65df6cb979e4335f911aeb6f5fbe

Attachments

• Filename
    vital_soundcard.jpg
    File size
    180.21 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 317 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gandhig wrote:

Yeah 'place inline' is misleading. Maybe that's why they didn't call it as 'view inline'.

But it works as expected on other phpBB boards, including this board before the upgrade. And the reason that Stiletto wants to embed the image instead of linking to it is to preserve the image in the thread, even if any other site goes down. One of the most valuable things about VOGONS is that it is a huge, growing, searchable database, not just a place to gab. This board goes back for more than a decade. How many other sites have come and gone in the mean time?

Reply 318 of 325, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:
gandhig wrote:

But it works as expected on other phpBB boards, including this board before the upgrade. And the reason that Stiletto wants to embed the image instead of linking to it is to preserve the image in the thread, even if any other site goes down. One of the most valuable things about VOGONS is that it is a huge, growing, searchable database, not just a place to gab. This board goes back for more than a decade. How many other sites have come and gone in the mean time?

I misunderstood the 'embed' part. If it was felt that i was gabbing or something like that, then I'm sorry. That wasn't my intention and I will think twice before posting from now onwards. I do really appreciate the knowledge transfers going on in our forum and the efforts put by older members.

Just for the sake of curiosity, If I upload an attachment, will it go to the Vogons forum server(and will be stored permanently there) or to some sort of cloud where it might get lost in the future. Even if it is stored in vogons server, will the attachments get purged over time?

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 319 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gandhig wrote:

I misunderstood the 'embed' part. If it was felt that i was gabbing or something like that, then I'm sorry. That wasn't my intention and I will think twice before posting from now onwards. I do really appreciate the knowledge transfers going on in our forum and the efforts put by older members.

I was not implying you were, just making the case for preserving posts, including the images in the posts.

gandhig wrote:

Just for the sake of curiosity, If I upload an attachment, will it go to the Vogons forum server(and will be stored permanently there) or to some sort of cloud where it might get lost in the future. Even if it is stored in vogons server, will the attachments get purged over time?

That is the difference between linking and uploading an image. For it attachments to be deleted, outside of something like a server hard drive crash, it would take direct action by a mod, administrator or someone with FTP access to delete them.