VOGONS

Common searches

Just an important heads up

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 325, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just hope the newer version of the forum software isn't too bloated or resource demanding. Part of the reason why I like coming here is because this board is run on lean software without any dumb social networking features or whatever.

Of course though, the newer software will probably be nice for keeping out all of those annoying spammers. 😁

Reply 21 of 325, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

The new domainname will be www.vogons.org
and I am not changing servers or so, only the domainname. So it will be slightly more expensive than it is now. (as the current name is "free")

sweet! now i can tell people about the website with out having to speak another language!

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I just hope the newer version of the forum software isn't too bloated or resource demanding. Part of the reason why I like coming here is because this board is run on lean software without any dumb social networking features or whatever.

Of course though, the newer software will probably be nice for keeping out all of those annoying spammers. 😁

You mean you like coming here on your retro machines. 😁

As long it as it doesn't run on flash we should be fine.

Reply 22 of 325, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The oldest machine I still use on a semi-regular basis is a Pentium M laptop, and it can still handle most modern online content just fine if I keep things down to one or two browser tabs, though when I'm on here I'll often check the new posts and open a new tab for each one and check them all out.

But yeah, If I can get any of my actual retro machines out of storage some time, I'll definitely try one of them out on here.

Reply 24 of 325, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you need any help making new icons in old and beloved vogons style, you can count on me. I've done this before on a different board and everyone liked it 😀

Bigger size (whatever you specify), same colors and similar font guarantee 😀

Reply 26 of 325, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

In the not so far future, the vogons board will be upgraded and moved to a different domain.

What is the reason for the move? This is probably one of the last web forums which still works fine on my 486. It is hard to imagine any "upgrade" being able to run this lean with the existing feature set.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 27 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
feipoa wrote:
Qbix wrote:

In the not so far future, the vogons board will be upgraded and moved to a different domain.

What is the reason for the move? This is probably one of the last web forums which still works fine on my 486. It is hard to imagine any "upgrade" being able to run this lean with the existing feature set.

The forum software of this board has not being updated (by the creators) for a very long time now and the amount of patching I can do to extend it, has reached the limited. Bugs are starting to show in the admin panel, blocking bots, takes more and more coding.

However, I understand your concerns. I could give you access to the current test forum, so you could try it on your 486.
Send me a PM if you are interested in trying it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 28 of 325, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:
The forum software of this board has not being updated (by the creators) for a very long time now and the amount of patching I c […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:
Qbix wrote:

The forum software of this board has not being updated (by the creators) for a very long time now and the amount of patching I can do to extend it, has reached the limited. Bugs are starting to show in the admin panel, blocking bots, takes more and more coding.

However, I understand your concerns. I could give you access to the current test forum, so you could try it on your 486.
Send me a PM if you are interested in trying it.

I will really miss browsing the forums on my 266 mmx; and my other retro machines. The darn thing even worked under ie5 on a clean install.

Though, if the forum software has to be updated after so much time, well, I still have my arms opened to it anyway. However, I would like the forum to maintain its iconic style & functionality. This way we make no compromises on security, while also not losing the "identity" the forum has achieved during the years. It would also keep things light and fast for those as me who like visting it on their retro systems 😊

The actual small but handful smiley selection is something I will miss quite a bit too 🤣

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 31 of 325, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, we won't have to read your posts anymore 😉

Seriously, wasn't this forum supposed to be running old games on new hardware? All this worrying about how the new forum is going to perform on old hardware has me worried 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 32 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

From the test of feipoa,
I think it will run okay on older hardware, but the board needs to be assembled a bit more to be 100% sure.

As far spam control, It's easier to add things like recaptcha and custom questions when signing up and there is a possibility that a couple of posts of each new user will need moderator approval.

Reply 33 of 325, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two questions:

1. Will all previous posts and threads be carried over?
2. In posts there are often links to other threads/posts on the forum. Will all these be broken, or do you plan to fix the links (run a macro to change www.vogons.org to www.vogons.org on all posts) or make a redirect service?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 34 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

1) yes
2) I will rewrite the database to fix the (internal) links, and (if the webserver allows it), put up a redirect (thread numbers stay the same) for stuff that comes from the outside.

Reply 35 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some suggestions regarding the thread sections :

A. Retro Sound Section

In addition to the MT-32 section,

1. Sound Canvas Thread

2. General MIDI Thread

3. FM/Adlib Thread

4. Yamaha/XG Thread

B. Separate Windows 3.1x Section

The names for the sections/threads as per the Moderators' discretion.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 37 of 325, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

Good luck with the move. I just hope the new framework would still be lean and mean... most modern forum software seems to enjoy hammering the client side with 400kb of useless javascript for 20kb of content.

Seconded. Vogons is probably the leanest and fastest forum I'm in. Please keep it that way.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 38 of 325, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
Some suggestions regarding the thread sections : […]
Show full quote

Some suggestions regarding the thread sections :

A. Retro Sound Section

In addition to the MT-32 section,

1. Sound Canvas Thread

2. General MIDI Thread

3. FM/Adlib Thread

4. Yamaha/XG Thread

Quest Studios pretty much has all of the above. I don't think its really necessary to duplicate the effort.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 39 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The transfer has been completed.

I would like to that Snover and Collector for their help with the server and skinning and harekiet and p4r4dox for their constant reviewing of the skin.

There are bound to be some problems or issues.
Feel free to post them here.