VOGONS

Common searches

Just an important heads up

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 260 of 325, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is anyone else getting randomly logged out? Seems to be just a few minutes or so before I have to log back in, even if I'm reading through different threads and active.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 263 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We talked about it. In fact we had the same mobile style on the test forum as what I have on SHP, but Qbix didn't include it. You don't even need to install it as a style. All it takes is to copy it to the styles folder and a couple of quick edits to enable the mobile device detection.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 264 of 325, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, it was even enabled in the test forum and worked...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 265 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmm...should the topic DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION be posted on the Announcement section in both the Dosbox General and Dosbox Games/Apps topics as well?

Of course, we do have instances where topics such as this not being read, but still, as a reminder...

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 266 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was a carry over from the phpBB2. Any mod or admin should be able easily change it an announcement that. To make it appear in multiple forums it can be set as a global announcement, but this would make it show in the non DOSBox forums, like GLIDOS.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 268 of 325, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Posting in old threads is one of the things I like about this forum. Since we are talking about older stuff anyway most of the time the topic will stay relevant. I prefer posting in an old thread instead of opening a new one if the topic really fits.

Reply 269 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:

Posting in old threads is one of the things I like about this forum. Since we are talking about older stuff anyway most of the time the topic will stay relevant. I prefer posting in an old thread instead of opening a new one if the topic really fits.

This.

If an old discussion actually becomes relevant again, it's nice to be able to add to it instead of having to start a duplicate discussion and watch people re-hash things that have already been discussed.

Also, while I'm a bit biased, I think the moderators here do a pretty good job of maintaining order.

Reply 270 of 325, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:

But digging through hundreds of pages across multiple forums just to find that long buried thread is a PITA. It's a lot easier just to start a new thread.

Reply 271 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
idspispopd wrote:

But digging through hundreds of pages across multiple forums just to find that long buried thread is a PITA. It's a lot easier just to start a new thread.

Not performing at least a cursory search for existing relevant threads of any age before posting a new thread is considered even more of a faux pas than necroposting on pretty much any forum.

Reply 272 of 325, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:
sliderider wrote:
idspispopd wrote:

Not performing at least a cursory search for existing relevant threads of any age before posting a new thread is considered even more of a faux pas than necroposting on pretty much any forum.

How deep do you expect someone to search? 2 pages? 10? 50? Anything buried more than 5 pages back should be locked. If I bump a topic where the latest reply is from 2006, even if I have something new to add, is that acceptable? A lot of forums will even ban members for necro'ing threads from too far back. If a thread hasn't seen new activity in so long, just lock it.

Reply 273 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I expect people to use the search engine:
search.php
or Google: searchterm site:vogons.org
and if most recent post in found thread is > 12-18 months or so, make a new thread. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 274 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
I expect people to use the search engine: search.php or Google: searchterm site:vogons.org and if most recent post in found thre […]
Show full quote

I expect people to use the search engine:
search.php
or Google: searchterm site:vogons.org
and if most recent post in found thread is > 12-18 months or so, make a new thread. 😀

That's a pretty reasonable rule of thumb.

However, the latest version of DOSBox (0.74) is over 3 years old at this point 😲, so many discussions about issues with it are still relevant.

Reply 276 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I've noticed that recently a lot of threads are getting moved by mods, but the original threads just stay in the subforum they were originally posted in. Maybe fix this...

When moving threads, moderators have an option to leave a redirect behind so that it looks like the thread still exists in both places. This option should almost never be used. Unfortunately I think it's set by default.

Reply 277 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It should almost always be used, but in the "correct" way. E.g first post, that you move the thread and then move it leaving a shadow topic.
As far as I know the shadow topic will stop recieving the new posts after the move, so it should drop fairly quickly from the list

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 279 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In an ideal world, he would check it out through the profile page. I can assure you that most people don't and post topics like "why was my topic removed".

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!