VOGONS

Common searches

How popular was the MT-32 and GM

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1994/5 a friend bought a Turtle Beach Monterey and a midi keyboard, heard it and I had to have my own, totally hooked since then.
Tho I had to buy a TBS2000 (Tropez 32) to get DOS compatibility, card that was eventually upgraded every year or so.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 21 of 21, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

By the time I got my first PC in 1994, I've heard various accounts and rumors about GM, GS and MT32-capable hardware and their sound quality; unfortunately, I couldn't afford any of them. Then in 1996 I saw a GUS ACE being sold cheaply at a local CompUSA store; after thinking about it for a few minutes, I bought it. This little sound card changed my view of PC music forever, and I simply wanted more. Then in early 2000, while roaming around a swap meet, I saw a Yamaha SW60XG being sold for $35 complete with retail box, driver CD and manual by the original owner; once again, I just bought it. And once again, I was amazed; I have never heard anything like this before!

Today both sound cards still survive, and are now in my retro-rig along with a Soundblaster Pro 2; just listening to them brings a smile to my face over and over.

Ooohh, the pain......