VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my main desktop, a 2.8GHz Pentium Dual Core E6300 Wolfdale with 4GB of DDR2 and a Radeon HD 4650 512MB, I have an FSP Group Saga+ 400R power supply. It has served me faithfully for the last four years, but lately I've been noticing some anomalies. About a couple weeks ago, I started hearing some "coil whine" emanating from it, but I figured it wasn't a big deal. For about a week I didn't use it for whatever reason (sometimes I'll get "bored" of one machine and I'll use another for a while 😜), but I went to turn it on earlier today, and it didn't even want to post. A small amount of power was going through, which I could tell by my fans spinning slowly and my case lights shining dimly, so I turned off my power bar, turned it back on and tried again. It did the same thing for about half a minute, then it started running normally. 😜 I'm actually using this machine right at the moment, and so far the only other weird thing that's happened is that I can occasionally hear some faint clicks coming from the PSU.

Is it a bad idea for me to keep using this machine without replacing the power supply? If this machine dies on me I can probably carry on using my Alienware laptop, though I don't like that machine as much for whatever reason. 😜

Reply 1 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replace the psu as that machine has a few useful years left in it. I go with Antec and Enermax instead of some of the usual brands.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 550W looks to be the silentest PSU.

11.7 dB(A) at 20% load
11.7 dB(A) at 50% load
12.9 dB(A) at 100% load

Weight incl. fixed cables 3.51 kg

btw fanless ones are 500W max and i don't see any reason for funless if you can just have a silent fan (way better cooling with same silent effect)

Reply 3 of 14, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to be looking inside your PSU next time you hear clicking coming from it. If you see sparks, you should probably shut the thing down until you get that thing replaced. Either way though, clicking noises usually mean the thing's on its last legs. :P

As for if it would be dangerous for your computer to continue using it with a dying PSU, I would have to say yes, simply because the purpose of the PSU is to down-convert the 120/240 volt AC power coming in to a variety of much lower DC voltages. If any 120/240 volt power arced in such a way that it sent power into one of the DC lines, it would fry everything on that line. TBH though, that's just a guess. I don't know enough about the transformer process to know if that could actually happen or not. (Perhaps someone else here has a better idea.)

Either way, it sounds like you're gonna have to replace the thing no matter what, so you might as well get it done ASAP and just live with your laptop for a couple or three days while you figure out what you want to replace it with.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a spare PSU that I know works just fine that I could probably slap in. I was going to use it for this other LGA 775 board I have, but that project's on hold for now because I need to find a case and a better CPU for it. The only thing iffy about it is that it's only a 350watt, but considering that I'm currently running a dying 400watt that's not that much of a jump. 😜

BTW, along with the parts I've listed before, my rig also has two 500gb hard drives, a DVD burner, and 3 case fans. Will 350 watts be able to handle all of that?

Reply 6 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just used this tool to determine my system's power needs, and with CPU TDP and system load set to 90%, with a capacitor aging factor of 25% (to be on the safe side) and 4 usb devices, it recommends a power supply of 330w. With the CPU TDP and system load set to 100%, it recommends 369w. 😜

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

For a temporary fix I think I should be able to get away with the spare power supply I have. Maybe to save a few watts I'll relegate DVD burning duties to another machine.

Joey_sw wrote:

main wattage eater usualy the graphics card, i remember i need to replaces the 350 watts PSU to more larger one because i upgrading exisiting graphics card into more powerful one.

It's a good thing I only went with a 4650 then. Unlike many GPUs, it draws all of the power it needs from the PCI express slot. It has no connectors for auxiliary power whatsoever.

Reply 7 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My new PSU died on me a few days ago. It was only three months old. I think it was Enermax. I had it replaced with no charge but I have bought a Corsair one with more watts. So far, so good.

Reply 8 of 14, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

... BTW, along with the parts I've listed before, my rig also has two 500gb hard drives, a DVD burner, and 3 case fans. Will 350 watts be able to handle all of that?

Here they tested a system with a 4650 and an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (89W TDP vs your E6300's 65W) and the power draw didn't even reach 200W.

AGP%20Power%20Usage.png

You should be fine with a 350W PSU, provided it is a decent and true 350W PSU.

Let the air flow!

Reply 9 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I've been running this system for almost a day with the 350watt, and so far things are working well. 😁 One thing I noticed though is that the power supply I'm using right now actually has better max power ratings (especially for the 12 volt rail) than the 400watt I was using before. The only minor annoyance is that the 12v aux P4 cable isn't quite long enough to reach the socket when it's installed in my case, so I have it sitting just outside my case with the cables going in. 🤣

Reply 10 of 14, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

... The only minor annoyance is that the 12v aux P4 cable isn't quite long enough to reach the socket ...

You can cut the P4 cable from the 400W or other junk PSU and solder as an extension in the 350W.

Or buy a P4 extension.

pr1385326img1.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 11 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:
You can cut the P4 cable from the 400W or other junk PSU and solder as an extension in the 350W. […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

... The only minor annoyance is that the 12v aux P4 cable isn't quite long enough to reach the socket ...

You can cut the P4 cable from the 400W or other junk PSU and solder as an extension in the 350W.

Or buy a P4 extension.

pr1385326img1.jpg

Is it actually safe to do that? My soldering skills aren't the best and I'm not sure how I would fare with such an important high-power connection. 🤣

Reply 13 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joey_sw wrote:

no soldering skills needed, just plug it up, and its done.
i use such cable myself.

I'm not talking about using the cable, I'm talking about splicing in the P4 cable from my old PSU.

Reply 14 of 14, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
TELVM wrote:

...You can cut the P4 cable from the 400W or other junk PSU and solder as an extension in the 350W ...

Is it actually safe to do that? My soldering skills aren't the best and I'm not sure how I would fare with such an important high-power connection. 🤣

Perfectly safe if done right. However if you ain't confident in your skills better go the easy way and buy an extension, for a screwed up wiring can and will fry the system.

Let the air flow!