VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 39, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Modifying games in ways that alienate the core customers for those games (Windows users) in order to satisfy the tiny base of Linux users who want to play games is shooting oneself in the foot.

OpenGL works fine under Windows, hardly alienating there.
Minority or not, there is a market for Linux games. That's the point of digital distribution, you can reach to these markets.

Reply 21 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember some netbooks coming with Linux. The linux fans celebrated, the customers returned the machines because they couldn't do anything with their machines.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Yet when I go to run Plants vs. Zombies, which is a 2D game and only four years old, the framerate sucks and the graphics don't scale nicely, resulting in a heavily aliased, jerky mess that's not fun to play. x_x;

I made a thread about this a long time ago. For some daft reason the Popcap framework still uses DX7. Just set your desktop resolution to something with a 4:3 aspect ratio (like 1024x768) before starting the game and it should scale properly. Spread the word!

sliderider wrote:

Linux gaming failed once already. I can remember a brief period of time when you could buy boxed copies of games for Linux in software stores but it didn't last long. Within a few months none of the retailers would carry them anymore because they weren't selling.

Loki Software was principally behind those. Some would blame colossal mismanagement for their failure, though no doubt the limited market had much to do with it as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loki_Software

Reply 23 of 39, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

No multitexturing support (Q2 as well) so hardly "perfect"...

I reckon that I don't know too much about Graphic APIs, but I don't think that in case of the Quake engine not having such an extension would affect performance on new Graphics cards, since the engine is cpu dependant nowadays. I don't think neither that IQ would be worse, textures and lightmaps would just have to be done on two passes now?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 25 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Everything made with OpenGL: Still Works Fine

Come to think of it, I seem to recall there are some games such as Anachronox (a Quake 2 game) that only work properly if you purposefully disable certain OpenGL extensions in the video drivers.

Reply 26 of 39, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Performance-wise it's irrelevant in practice with today's hardware as you said. Probably no visual differences either. It's just a fact that modern cards can't do this feature in those games. I think they are constantly omitting old extensions so it may be only a matter of time until these games are broken. I have minor GL bugs even on newer applications.

Reply 27 of 39, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Performance-wise it's irrelevant in practice with today's hardware as you said. Probably no visual differences either. It's just a fact that modern cards can't do this feature in those games. I think they are constantly omitting old extensions so it may be only a matter of time until these games are broken. I have minor GL bugs even on newer applications.

Now that's a good point, who knows how much time our cards will remain to support critical features needed for running early games. 😒

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 28 of 39, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not forever, that's for sure. If someone actually bothers to exploit old games commercially they usually fix them so they will work on a current computer. Even less incentive for MS/Nvidia/AMD to care if original releases will run. This is why I like console gaming 😀

Reply 29 of 39, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Now that's a good point, who knows how much time our cards will remain to support critical features needed for running early games. 😒

And this is one reason why digital downloads suck. They will mod the games so they work with current hardware and people who were running the games on vintage hardware won't be able to play anymore because they will be automatically updated against their will and have to use a newer machine because their original hardware won't be compatible anymore. Games that ran fine with a DX7 or DX8 video card will be updated to DX10 or DX11 and the same with OGL. You'll need a card that supports a later version of OGL than what you have been using for years.

Reply 30 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

And this is one reason why digital downloads suck. They will mod the games so they work with current hardware and people who were running the games on vintage hardware won't be able to play anymore because they will be automatically updated against their will and have to use a newer machine because their original hardware won't be compatible anymore. Games that ran fine with a DX7 or DX8 video card will be updated to DX10 or DX11 and the same with OGL. You'll need a card that supports a later version of OGL than what you have been using for years.

This seems like a very unlikely scenario. The overwhelmingly vast majority of developers are much more likely to stop officially supporting their games rather than mod them to work on current hardware.

I know it's happened occasionally in the past, such as the recent thing with Half-Life on Steam, but very, very few games have anything remotely near the staying power of Half-Life.

Reply 31 of 39, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apperently the GL_SGIS_MULTITEXTURE extension still resides on the newer one called GL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE. Maybe the thing is that games are still looking for the old one, and so they consider it as a feature not supported by hardware?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 32 of 39, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, did a quick check in the Q2 demo. GL_SGIS_multitexture is listed as not found. In the release notes it says:

Support for GL_ARB_multitexture added. This supports the new multitexture extensions and deprecates GL_SGIS_multitexture.

The demo is 3.14. 3.21 is source code only so no way of getting this into the original game.

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-06-11, 01:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 39, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
You says that like dropping support for older cards is some kind of frivolous snap decision. […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Because they didn't bother re-writing the render paths for those old cards when they ported Source to Linux?

Why shouldn't they? Linux adoption would likely go up if they did a better job of supporting older GPUs. In most other ways Linux tends to run well on older hardware, but it just seems that GPU support is its Achilles heel.

You says that like dropping support for older cards is some kind of frivolous snap decision.

Part of getting in to the Steam-on-Linux betas was submitting your hardware profile.

The decision to only support down to a certain level of OpenGL hardware support would have been based on those numbers.

Yeah, but more people probably would've signed up for the Linux Steam betas if Linux support for older graphics cards weren't so dismal in the first place. It's not just an issue with Steam or the Source Engine, it's a problem with GPU support on Linux in general. The drivers available for it are so slow that you need to have a high end graphics card just to run older games.

Reply 34 of 39, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

And who says OpenGL 1.x (widely, WIDELY used) isn't rotting away? The SGIS Extensions being dropped were only the beginning...

I just watch a recording of a recent key note with valve developers talking about open GL and how they got dx 10 and 11 functionality with it on windows xp among other things.

Reply 35 of 39, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:
leileilol wrote:

And who says OpenGL 1.x (widely, WIDELY used) isn't rotting away? The SGIS Extensions being dropped were only the beginning...

I just watch a recording of a recent key note with valve developers talking about open GL and how they got dx 10 and 11 functionality with it on windows xp among other things.

I would like to see that after years of MS saying that DX10 is only possible on Vista or later. I always figured it would only be a matter of time before someone actually found a way to make it work with XP. Now if someone would only release a legit file that does it instead of all the virus/trojan garbage files floating around that CLAIM to do it.

Reply 37 of 39, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Rage is basically a D3D 10 level game. OpenGL 3.x.

D3D10 is too NT6 oriented. Aspects like requiring WDDM.

Well how else can you try to force users into purchasing a new OS without forcing things like this.

From a marketing standpoint it makes perfect sense to build your next DirectX versions into the GPU driver model.

Sucks in many ways as XP was and still is a viable OS but you can't seel many new copies of Win 7/8 if you are still supporting and working on XP.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 38 of 39, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Hmm, did a quick check in the Q2 demo. GL_SGIS_multitexture is listed as not found. In the release notes it says:

Support for GL_ARB_multitexture added. This supports the new multitexture extensions and deprecates GL_SGIS_multitexture.

The demo is 3.14. 3.21 is source code only so no way of getting this into the original game.

Looks like my message was a bit confusing, heh. What I tried to say was that after all, perhaps SGIS_MULTITEXTURE functions actually reside being supported (at least to a degree) under actual hardware, but under the hood of the newer extension; GL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE 😜

Because making use of it must need rewriting parts of the source code, and that back in the day such extension didn't exist, that games are looking for the legacy SGIS one, and so what actually has to be (in the worst case)a partially supported hardware feature, is not treated as such by the game engine.

Just trying to share my point of view, 😵

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 39 of 39, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

I would like to see that after years of MS saying that DX10 is only possible on Vista or later. I always figured it would only be a matter of time before someone actually found a way to make it work with XP. Now if someone would only release a legit file that does it instead of all the virus/trojan garbage files floating around that CLAIM to do it.

Not support of the DX10 API, support of DX10/DX11 features like more advanced shaders using OpenGL API. I have also heard of this. Unfortunately there are not that many modern OpenGL games.
Looked for a source and found this: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=36733