VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never really played Quakeworld (though I have played vanilla Quake and some of the other games in the series), but I'm interested in trying it out and I want to find a good client program for it. I tried using ezQuake, but I find its UI to be an absolute mess, not to mention I can't seem to configure it the way I would like, despite all of the options available. In particular, the lack of weapon bobbing drives me nuts, and I don't like any of the crosshairs either. 😜

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are none.

About all of them cater to making the game cheatier for the "pros". That means focus on turning maps into solid colors and players into glowing colors, and with little focus on fixing or adding basic modern features (fov for widescreen, overbright lightmap, etc).. Because of that, the Quakeworld scene is pretty dead because it's pro elitist, resulting in a constant call for players by ways of piracy or shamelessly violating the shareware Quake license. If someone posts about nquake trying to "introduce THE way to play quake", they're doing exactly that. It's like they've never owned the Quake CD in their life so they don't know the whole experience with the ambient soundtrack. Perhaps the closest Quake they ever "owned" had a RAZORCD.NFO with it if you know what I mean.

....well, okay, Darkplaces is a client that can support the Quakeworld protocol and isn't insanely stupid. 😜

No Engoo doesn't support it. I did think about basing Engoo on an older fuhquake or zquake build as a foundation...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So in other words, I should stick to Unreal Tournament or Quake II/III for my oldschool multiplayer FPS fix. 🤣

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2013-06-19, 22:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wax really looking into it more for curiosity's sake than anything. Quake was one of the very first games I ever LAN-ed, though I just played co-op because I didn't have very many computers at the time, and I didn't know how to set up multiplayer bots. By the time I had more than two PCs kicking around, I had already gotten a copy of Quake 3, which of course comes with bots and multiplayer maps right out of the box, so my friends and I essentially ignored Quake 1 from that point on.

Reply 6 of 6, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake is, in my opinion, the best deathmatch/multiplayer game ever made. I miss playing over the internet before Gamespy, we had to manually type in the IP address and we got more server IP addresses by word of mouth from other Quakers during a match typing to each other. We had yellow post-it notes all over the monitor with addresses. This was 1997 and 1998

At the end of each match there was a flood of: GG GG GG GG
People constantly complaining (typing during the match) of lag, campers, spawn killing, suiciding, Quad Rangers that always grabbed the Quad damage, exit king, greifing private servers. Quake has the best gibs and blood trails. Perfect rocket physics. Perfect sound effects.

Then there are the mods with bots and the grappling hook, Requeim, Killer Quake Pack. We still play it in my house, I have several Pentium I's with Quake that are in LAN.

I haven't played Quake over the internet since the mid 2000's but I sure do miss the online playing. Nothing else could touch it.