VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to find as much DOS games with boss key as I can.

There is nice list on mobygames, but it's incomplete - for example Commander Keen is missing.

So, do you know any other DOS games with boss key feature? 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 1 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember the Hugo trilogy (house of horrors, whodunnit, Hugo 3) had a boss key that opened a DOS shell ln top of the game.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 9, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember Ész-kerék had one. It's a Hungarian Wheel of the Fortune clone. But unfortunately seems like the game is buggy and the boss key only works in Hercules, CGA, Tandy and PCjr modes. EGA/VGA modes are messed up unfortunately.

Thought it's a DOSBox bug, but it turned out it's just a glitchy game. You will find the game and the topic here:
Boss key in Ész-kerék crashes DOSBox

Basically if you press the boss key it will bring up the C:\> prompt and you will be able to list the directory content and such. A smiley face ASCII character will appear on the screen letting you know that the game is still in the background, but the PC speaker will beep too. That's the only downside of the Boss key.

esz_001.png
Filename
esz_001.png
File size
2.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by P4R4D0X on 2013-07-02, 16:17. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The existence for boss key proves that computer games have been primarily aimed at adult audience. Why do politicians insist that games are for kids?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The boss may get suspicious anyway, when he sees the same screen with the same spreadsheet with the same topic and the same values again and again.

And a boss has the discretion to actually stop and have a closer look at the screen and may even ask what the hell is that piece of **** doing there, or why the worker is typing a "generic" letter when he's supposed to do his job...

Or worse, the wrong screen appearing in a wrong field of job...

Whatever it is, it was actually a part of DOS gaming history that can never be recreated in these days. Some of the screens are actually very amusing to look at. Imagine switching to a boss screen when Larry is busy f...ahemm....

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 9, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was at least one Windows game that I know of that had a boss key, the original release of the Activision Atari 2600 Action Pack. It brought up a fake Excelish looking window. Plus it had the nagging mother feature during game play.