VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you leave it on or off on desktops?

I tend to leave it off by having Power Scheme set to Desktop (even though it was on that way on an older computer IIRC). I found the system to feel a bit snappier without it, may be imagination as well... ACPI functions (C1E etc.) seem to do the trick well enough for power management. Those power saving functions can also mess up some older games, notably Unreal Tournament.

Reply 1 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am aware it did weird thing on older systems, but it seems since Windows 7 onwards its implementation is better. I have it currently on for my AMD Phenom (Agena). I haven't noticed any differences between having it enabled or disabled.

PS - It could be a good idea to have it enabled during summer time.

Reply 2 of 5, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original Phenoms are a case where it's actually documented to inhibit performance to a small degree (up to 10% in benchmarks), believe it or not. The cores can run at individual speeds and due to how the OS bumps the threads around this will cause problems. If you have one with the TLB bug and you enable the fix as well you are in for some crippled performance.

My Phenom II idles at about 38-40C. I believe that's ok.

Reply 3 of 5, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I leave it on. Used to have a C2Q 9450 and now I own a x6 1055T and have Cool'n'Quiet on. Both overclocked to 3.5GHz. No issues.
My system idles at around 32C, thanks to my Thermaltake SpinQ VT (that thing is a beast). I think that's a pretty good temp, considering I live in Greece and summer here is the worst thing for hardware 😜. Right now, outside it's around 34-35C.

Last edited by F2bnp on 2014-02-11, 10:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

The original Phenoms are a case where it's actually documented to inhibit performance to a small degree (up to 10% in benchmarks), believe it or not. The cores can run at individual speeds and due to how the OS bumps the threads around this will cause problems. If you have one with the TLB bug and you enable the fix as well you are in for some crippled performance.

My Phenom II idles at about 38-40C. I believe that's ok.

Yes my Phenom has the TLB bug. I have the fix disabled though. When the fix is enabled some benchmarks (like WinRAR one) go down all the way.

Reply 5 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All multicore K10 CPUs have a big problem with CnQ and XP. The cores can independently run their own clock speeds depending on load. So any core can be at 800 MHz whenever it's idle. The OS scheduler isn't aware of this and it causes major speed problems if threads are jumping around. Phenom II remedied this in NT6 by locking the core clocks together. XP is still a problem though. You can use PhenomMSRTweaker to lock the clocks together or just disable CnQ entirely.

I've never really had Speedstep problems. Some old games have timing problems with CPUs that have dynamic clock speed though.